10 O'Clock Live on C4...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Winckle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 am

Cal wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:I can't stand watching it. It's way too lefty. I had high hopes for it when it was first advertised last year because it's got 3 funny men in it (dunno what the woman is famous for) and in hindsight, naively assumed it might try and have a more neutral balance, but the show is just unenjoyable, dull and too try-hard.


You said, it GD. A prime example of left-wing comedians who are all oh-so-politically correct it hurts. But, then again, can we actually think of any comedians on TV who are not actually left-wing and 'right-on'? Name me one so-called comedian who dares to take issue with...oh, I dunno, say 'man-made climate change', for instance? Can you think of any?

No, of course not. Intellectual pygmies and cowards, all.

Penn Jillette is an extremely right wing comedian.

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Skippy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 am

Stop Cal-ing the thread Cal!

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Slartibartfast » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 am

Cal wrote:
Poser wrote:Edit: also, to support your point (effectively), look at Clarkson. No, he's not a stand-up, yes he does openly say he thinks climate change is bollocks. He is also widely unpopular, yet equally popular enough to make you think there's got to be a market out there for a bit more climate skepticism.


There is a market out there for more climate scepticism - Clarkson is popular for a reason, of which his anti-establishment views on 'global warming' is just one. It resonates with a huge number of people.

Taffy: I could describe Al Gore's particular brand of 'climate science' as equally smoke and mirrors as you claim my scepticism is. You know, your remark is an extremely cheap shot and entirely unqualified. Dismiss us sceptics, by all means, but it might be a good idea to check if you have the scientific proof to back up your sneering certainties.


Oh Cal, don't move on from taking scientific advice from idiots to comedians. Neither are as good at science as scientists are!

Never got on with this show - Have I Got News For You is better on all counts.

User avatar
Eighthours
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Eighthours » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 am

It is far too left-wing. I still watch it, but it's so hilariously biased. They really need someone who's at least centre-right to provide another perspective, as it gets embarrassingly "sixth form debating society" at times.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Europa

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Octoroc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Is it left-wing or are they simply satirising the current government which happens to be right-wing? The same could be argued for the 'alternative comedians' of the 80s. Right wing comics such as Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning just seemed sycophantic (and racist).

Either way I'm not arsed as I've ceased to watch it mainly because it seems very patronising. Newsnight is more informative, interesting and often funnier - the debate on "Pastygate" last night being a good example.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Tafdolphin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Eighthours wrote:It is far too left-wing. I still watch it, but it's so hilariously biased. They really need someone who's at least centre-right to provide another perspective, as it gets embarrassingly "sixth form debating society" at times.


Does The Daily Show have another perspective? No. It's a left wing show, as is this. In fact, Channel 4 is The Guardian of terrestrial TV. What did you expect?

I'd also argue that even centre-right comedy is much harder to pull off, let alone anything further along.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Cal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Tafdolphin wrote: In fact, Channel 4 is The Guardian of terrestrial TV.


As is the BBC. Hopelessly biased, hopelessly left-wing. These days (and it pains me to say it) I see more unbiased current events reporting and programming on Sky than on any terrestrial channel.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Tafdolphin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 pm

"Unbiased" does not mean "more inline with my opinions." SkyNews is horrible, tabloid journalism at its worst. The Guardian/Channel 4 are clearly left facing but the BBC is the closest you can get to neutral (not that it doesn't err to the left more than right under the current government, which is to be expected).

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Skippy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Cal wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote: In fact, Channel 4 is The Guardian of terrestrial TV.


As is the BBC. Hopelessly biased, hopelessly left-wing. These days (and it pains me to say it) I see more unbiased current events reporting and programming on Sky than on any terrestrial channel.


Ahh gooseberry fool, I must have missed when Cal snapped.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Somebody Else's Problem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Sky News is about as balanced as a fat man on a see-saw.

ImageImage
User avatar
Delusibeta
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Canyon

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Delusibeta » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Winckle wrote:Penn Jillette is an extremely right wing comedian.

Isn't he American, however?

User avatar
Cal
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Cal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:...the BBC is the closest you can get to neutral (not that it doesn't err to the left more than right under the current government, which is to be expected).


Hilarious - if it wasn't so deluded. You honestly believe the BBC was anything approaching 'neutral' during the lucrative, cash-stuffed years under an indulgent NuLabour administration? Years during which we witnessed the rise and rise of BBC executive pay rocketing to obscene levels with the tacit approval of their political paymasters in Downing Street?

You seriously consider the BBC 'neutral' in it's (unfavourable) treatment of Israel, compared to it's (favourable) treatment of Palestine? Seriously?

Etc. Incredible anyone could consider the The British Broadcasting Comintern unbiased. Laughable.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Tafdolphin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Horses for courses Cal. SkyNews is far more biased to the right than the BBC is to the left yet you refuse to acknowledge this.

I'm really interested in how you think others view your political beliefs. I imagine you like to think yourself a rebel, the only sane man in an asylum, the one free voice of the people. But you're not. Am I biased towards the left? Do I prefer my news from left-facing news sources? Yes. Yes I do and this is something I am fully able to admit. You obviously err more towards the right on many issues, yet seem unable to accept that the majority of sources you quote in the Climate thread or at any other time are, in the majority, right facing sources. You treat them as I imagine you see yourself: infallible.

But they're not. And neither are you. We're all just little balls of neuroses looking for a name and direction to clothe our personal opinions in, neither absolutely right nor absolutely wrong.

tl;dr Chill the strawberry float out dude.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by NickSCFC » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Cal wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:...the BBC is the closest you can get to neutral (not that it doesn't err to the left more than right under the current government, which is to be expected).


Hilarious - if it wasn't so deluded. You honestly believe the BBC was anything approaching 'neutral' during the lucrative, cash-stuffed years under an indulgent ZanuLiebour administration? Years during which we witnessed the rise and rise of BBC executive pay rocketing to obscene levels with the tacit approval of their political paymasters in Downing Street?

You seriously consider the BBC 'neutral' in it's (unfavourable) treatment of Israel, compared to it's (favourable) treatment of Palestine? Seriously?

Etc. Incredible anyone could consider the The British Broadcasting Comintern unbiased. Laughable.


Fixed

Image Image
User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by jamcc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm

I watched the bit about quotas for women in boardrooms... Wow, what a load of shite. As people have been saying the presenter (Mitchell in this instance) was so biased towards the pro quota (or 'pro women', as they probably saw it) argument as that's the politically correct view. It was painful to watch and just a complete waste of time.

User avatar
melatonin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by melatonin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 pm

jamcc wrote: As people have been saying the presenter (Mitchell in this instance) was so biased towards the pro quota (or 'pro women', as they probably saw it) argument as that's the politically correct view.


Or... it's his view?

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by Venom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 pm

It is so difficult for me to watch this programme. I mean I like most of the presenters in other things. But in this there is one overriding feeling that permeates the whole show; knowing smug.

User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by jamcc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:53 pm

melatonin wrote:
jamcc wrote: As people have been saying the presenter (Mitchell in this instance) was so biased towards the pro quota (or 'pro women', as they probably saw it) argument as that's the politically correct view.


Or... it's his view?


Shouldn't he, as presenter, at least attempt to challenge both parties no matter how uncomfortably un-PC it makes him feel?

User avatar
melatonin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by melatonin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm

jamcc wrote:
melatonin wrote:
jamcc wrote: As people have been saying the presenter (Mitchell in this instance) was so biased towards the pro quota (or 'pro women', as they probably saw it) argument as that's the politically correct view.


Or... it's his view?


Shouldn't he, as presenter, at least attempt to challenge both parties no matter how uncomfortably un-PC it makes him feel?


Not particularly, given that he was probably hired to actually have an opinion, something which he's become quite notable for. The idea that he would be pandering to something as ridiculous as a 'PC agenda' (whatever on earth that actually means) kind of assumes that Mitchell himself is but a mouthpiece rather than a brain to go along with it. I highly doubt that's the case.

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.
User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 10 O'Clock Live on C4...
by jamcc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:31 pm

The typical PC agenda would be sticking up for 'minorities' (in this case, women) even if it's blatantly unfair.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Errkal, Finish.Last, Google [Bot], massimo, Oblomov Boblomov, Rightey, Saint of Killers, Somebody Else's Problem, Squinty and 67 guests