Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back

Anything to do with games at all.

Favourite Alien/Aliens game?

Alien - 1982 (Atari 2600, C64, Spectrum)
2
3%
Aliens: The Computer Game - 1986 (C64, Spectrum)
1
2%
Aliens - 1990 (Arcade)
3
5%
Alien 3 - 1993 (SNES, MegaDrive)
10
16%
Alien vs Predator - 1993 (SNES)
0
No votes
Alien vs Predator - 1993 (Arcade)
1
2%
Alien vs Predator - 1994 (Jaguar)
1
2%
Alien Trilogy - 1996 (PS, Saturn, PC)
13
20%
Aliens Online - 1999 (PC)
0
No votes
Aliens vs Predator - 1999 (PC, Mac)
9
14%
Alien Resurrection - 2000 (PS)
2
3%
Aliens vs Predator 2 - 2001 (PC, Mac)
4
6%
Aliens vs Predator - 2010 (PS3, 360, PC)
3
5%
Aliens: Infestation - 2011 (DS)
8
13%
Aliens: Colonial Marines - 2013 (PS3, 360, PC)
7
11%
 
Total votes: 64
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Alvin Flummux » Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Photek wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Why not both? Have two player characters. Ripley, who is more stealth focused and is small enough to crawl through vents and isn't really very good at combat. Then a partner character who's perhaps ex-military, can't enter vents and isn't very stealthy, but has extensive combat training and weapon experience. You could go for either two different, though similar, campaigns, ala Resident Evil 1/2, or a buddy system ala Resident Evil Code Veronica.

One of the worst Idea's I've seen for a game. :dread:


Ripley decides to become a colonist on an out of the way world with no aliens and little corporate presence. She lives there somewhat happily for many years, developing her skills as a technician or botanist or whatever before eventually deciding to return to Earth, for as bad as things are there, she's just plain homesick. En route home, the ship docks at a lunar outpost on the edge of a more fully colonized star system to refuel and resupply. Except that the outpost is quiet; nobody's home, no trace of the inhabitants. Signs of struggle are everywhere though. Perturbed, the ship's captain orders them to move on and heads toward an orbital refueling platform closer to the inner system worlds where they can report the outpost, but things begin happening aboard ship. People vanishing. Screams. Ripley knows instantly what's going on. She heads to the armory, and finds the security officer cowering in a corner. gooseberry fool goes down.

Probably terrible as far as ideas go, a bit too Alien Resurrectiony maybe, but it's all I've got.
Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Photek wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Why not both? Have two player characters. Ripley, who is more stealth focused and is small enough to crawl through vents and isn't really very good at combat. Then a partner character who's perhaps ex-military, can't enter vents and isn't very stealthy, but has extensive combat training and weapon experience. You could go for either two different, though similar, campaigns, ala Resident Evil 1/2, or a buddy system ala Resident Evil Code Veronica.

One of the worst Idea's I've seen for a game. :dread:


Ripley decides to become a colonist on an out of the way world with no aliens and little corporate presence. She lives there somewhat happily for many years, developing her skills as a technician or botanist or whatever before eventually deciding to return to Earth, for as bad as things are there, she's just plain homesick. En route home, the ship docks at a lunar outpost on the edge of a more fully colonized star system to refuel and resupply. Except that the outpost is quiet; nobody's home, no trace of the inhabitants. Signs of struggle are everywhere though. Perturbed, the ship's captain orders them to move on and heads toward an orbital refueling platform closer to the inner system worlds where they can report the outpost, but things begin happening aboard ship. People vanishing. Screams. Ripley knows instantly what's going on. She heads to the armory, and finds the security officer cowering in a corner. gooseberry fool goes down.

Probably terrible as far as ideas go, a bit too Alien Resurrectiony maybe, but it's all I've got.

It's been a while since I played Isolation but isn't it heavily implied in the last hour or so that Ripley is carrying one inside her? She wakes up in that room with all the open eggs in front of her. That would have a big impact on any future sequel. Probably free's them up to do a different story with different characters as well. Perhaps a more open world with lots of mini-stories of people surviving the best they can.
Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image Image

DONATE TO SICK KIDS SAVE POINT 2016 HERE!
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Lagamorph » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:
Photek wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Why not both? Have two player characters. Ripley, who is more stealth focused and is small enough to crawl through vents and isn't really very good at combat. Then a partner character who's perhaps ex-military, can't enter vents and isn't very stealthy, but has extensive combat training and weapon experience. You could go for either two different, though similar, campaigns, ala Resident Evil 1/2, or a buddy system ala Resident Evil Code Veronica.

One of the worst Idea's I've seen for a game. :dread:


Ripley decides to become a colonist on an out of the way world with no aliens and little corporate presence. She lives there somewhat happily for many years, developing her skills as a technician or botanist or whatever before eventually deciding to return to Earth, for as bad as things are there, she's just plain homesick. En route home, the ship docks at a lunar outpost on the edge of a more fully colonized star system to refuel and resupply. Except that the outpost is quiet; nobody's home, no trace of the inhabitants. Signs of struggle are everywhere though. Perturbed, the ship's captain orders them to move on and heads toward an orbital refueling platform closer to the inner system worlds where they can report the outpost, but things begin happening aboard ship. People vanishing. Screams. Ripley knows instantly what's going on. She heads to the armory, and finds the security officer cowering in a corner. gooseberry fool goes down.

Probably terrible as far as ideas go, a bit too Alien Resurrectiony maybe, but it's all I've got.

It's been a while since I played Isolation but isn't it heavily implied in the last hour or so that Ripley is carrying one inside her? She wakes up in that room with all the open eggs in front of her. That would have a big impact on any future sequel. Probably free's them up to do a different story with different characters as well. Perhaps a more open world with lots of mini-stories of people surviving the best they can.

It'd have to be removed without killing her somehow then, since Aliens confirms that Amanda lived to old age. I also don't think the other Xenos would be trying to kill her if she had a chestburster inside her, they'd be trying to capture her unless she was running around shooting up the place.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Good points. Especially the Aliens one. Forgot about that part of the movie.
Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image Image

DONATE TO SICK KIDS SAVE POINT 2016 HERE!
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Hime » Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Gandalf wrote:It was a great game marred by it over staying it's welcome. It went on too long and some of the back tracking sections were a chore.

I never found that, I loved it from beginning to end.
Image
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by KjGarly » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:
Photek wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Why not both? Have two player characters. Ripley, who is more stealth focused and is small enough to crawl through vents and isn't really very good at combat. Then a partner character who's perhaps ex-military, can't enter vents and isn't very stealthy, but has extensive combat training and weapon experience. You could go for either two different, though similar, campaigns, ala Resident Evil 1/2, or a buddy system ala Resident Evil Code Veronica.

One of the worst Idea's I've seen for a game. :dread:


Ripley decides to become a colonist on an out of the way world with no aliens and little corporate presence. She lives there somewhat happily for many years, developing her skills as a technician or botanist or whatever before eventually deciding to return to Earth, for as bad as things are there, she's just plain homesick. En route home, the ship docks at a lunar outpost on the edge of a more fully colonized star system to refuel and resupply. Except that the outpost is quiet; nobody's home, no trace of the inhabitants. Signs of struggle are everywhere though. Perturbed, the ship's captain orders them to move on and heads toward an orbital refueling platform closer to the inner system worlds where they can report the outpost, but things begin happening aboard ship. People vanishing. Screams. Ripley knows instantly what's going on. She heads to the armory, and finds the security officer cowering in a corner. gooseberry fool goes down.

Probably terrible as far as ideas go, a bit too Alien Resurrectiony maybe, but it's all I've got.

It's been a while since I played Isolation but isn't it heavily implied in the last hour or so that Ripley is carrying one inside her? She wakes up in that room with all the open eggs in front of her. That would have a big impact on any future sequel. Probably free's them up to do a different story with different characters as well. Perhaps a more open world with lots of mini-stories of people surviving the best they can.

It'd have to be removed without killing her somehow then, since Aliens confirms that Amanda lived to old age. I also don't think the other Xenos would be trying to kill her if she had a chestburster inside her, they'd be trying to capture her unless she was running around shooting up the place.


Think about it for a sec anything could have happened to Ripley and Weyland/Weyland Yutani, who have tried discrediting Ellen Ripley about her Xenomorph claims, might have 'made up' the part about her living to a grand old age due to not wanting her finding out her own daughter had crossed paths with the Xenomorphs :toot:
Last edited by KjGarly on Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Been listening to the audio dramas for Alien after seeing the advert for the second one before Covenant.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear references to Alien: Isolation as part of it. Mentions of Seegson, Sevastopol and the Working Joes. So far they're worth a listen if anyone is interested.

Alien: Out of The Shadows

Alien: River of Pain

Just noticed they're based on a trilogy of books from a couple of years ago. :D
Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image Image

DONATE TO SICK KIDS SAVE POINT 2016 HERE!
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by KjGarly » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Been listening to the audio dramas for Alien after seeing the advert for the second one before Covenant.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear references to Alien: Isolation as part of it. Mentions of Seegson, Sevastopol and the Working Joes. So far they're worth a listen if anyone is interested.

Alien: Out of The Shadows

Alien: River of Pain

Just noticed they're based on a trilogy of books from a couple of years ago. :D


Downloaded them to my phone but is there no audiobook for the 2nd novel, Sea of Sorrow?
Image Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm

KjGarly wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Been listening to the audio dramas for Alien after seeing the advert for the second one before Covenant.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear references to Alien: Isolation as part of it. Mentions of Seegson, Sevastopol and the Working Joes. So far they're worth a listen if anyone is interested.

Alien: Out of The Shadows

Alien: River of Pain

Just noticed they're based on a trilogy of books from a couple of years ago. :D


Downloaded them to my phone but is there no audiobook for the 2nd novel, Sea of Sorrow?

Doesn't seem to be. Though I think they are only loosely linked to each other anyway.

Finished the first one earlier on. It was pretty good all round. The knots it has to tie itself in at the end to fit within the Canon though. :lol: :lol: :dread: But it's the only real issue I had with it.

Gonna start River of Pain tomorrow.
Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image Image

DONATE TO SICK KIDS SAVE POINT 2016 HERE!
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by Photek » Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Hime wrote:
Gandalf wrote:It was a great game marred by it over staying it's welcome. It went on too long and some of the back tracking sections were a chore.

I never found that, I loved it from beginning to end.

Yeah, in fact, a lot of the back tracking was when the alien wasn't around so you could take your time rather than legging it into cupboards and under desks. I never found any of it boring or tiresome at all.
Blue Eyes wrote:Jack Wheelchair is crippled again. Poor guy just can't catch a break. Except in his leg.
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by KjGarly » Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 am

After watching Alien Covenant the other day it got me in the mood for playing Isolation again and I thought I'd try out some mods for it. One of them making the Alien tough and quicker at spotting you. Couldn't have picked a worse spot to test it while doing the medical area, got me 4 times now so I think I better get shut of that mod :fp:

Image

Image

Image
:x
Image Image
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Alien Isolation (PS4, XBO, PC, Rift) - Original cast is back
by KjGarly » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Even though I've completed it before, on my 2nd run through on PC I had my first ever 'nah strawberry float that off it goes for now' moment in a game. Just got the flamethrower and on my way to my objective come across a working Joe, sneak behind him and get a headshot with the magnum only for the Alien to be drawn instantly to the sound and drop out of a vent right in front of me. gooseberry fool a brick nearly :dread:
Image Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Green Gecko and 38 guests