Android Thread v2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by That's not a growth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:04 am

I got the update to pie before since I have a pixel. Only seeing small changes, but one that's annoying is when you press square to see all your open apps they've swapped directions of scroll/swipe away! :x

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Preezy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 am

Preezy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Blokada.

I will check that out, thanks :toot:

So I downloaded this and got it running, but it doesn't seem to have blocked any adverts in any of my apps or browser at all. What am I doing wrong? :?

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Drumstick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Preezy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Blokada.

I will check that out, thanks :toot:

So I downloaded this and got it running, but it doesn't seem to have blocked any adverts in any of my apps or browser at all. What am I doing wrong? :?

Have you selected any of the blacklists?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Preezy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Drumstick wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Blokada.

I will check that out, thanks :toot:

So I downloaded this and got it running, but it doesn't seem to have blocked any adverts in any of my apps or browser at all. What am I doing wrong? :?

Have you selected any of the blacklists?

Pfft, well duh of course I have, what do you take me for?

:shifty:

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Grumpy David » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 pm

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-note9/specs/

Galaxy Note 9 specs.

:datass:

Choice between that and the Pixel 3 XL for me.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Jenuall » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:46 am

Grumpy David wrote:https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-note9/specs/

Galaxy Note 9 specs.

:datass:

Choice between that and the Pixel 3 XL for me.


Nice. I've got the S9 and it's a cracking device so if the Note builds on that then it should be fantastic.

Pixel 3 XL does look tasty as well though.

ImageImage
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by That's not a growth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

Jenuall wrote:
Pixel 3 XL does look tasty as well though.


But the notch! The notch!

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm

That's not a growth wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Pixel 3 XL does look tasty as well though.


But the notch! The notch!

I'd pay top dollar for an excuse to do insufferable Johnny 5 impressions all day tbh

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 am

Have any other parents on here set up an android phone for a child, ie under 13. How did you go about it? Did you create a new account for them with a wrong age? Did you use any apps or anything for restrictions, tracking etc..

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Have any other parents on here set up an android phone for a child, ie under 13. How did you go about it? Did you create a new account for them with a wrong age? Did you use any apps or anything for restrictions, tracking etc..


Look up Family Link its made by Google and walks you through everything it let's you control everything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... familylink

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Errkal wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Have any other parents on here set up an android phone for a child, ie under 13. How did you go about it? Did you create a new account for them with a wrong age? Did you use any apps or anything for restrictions, tracking etc..


Look up Family Link its made by Google and walks you through everything it let's you control everything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... familylink


Thanks I had read about that but all the reviews said it wasn’t available in the uk yet but it’s obviously since launched.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Have any other parents on here set up an android phone for a child, ie under 13. How did you go about it? Did you create a new account for them with a wrong age? Did you use any apps or anything for restrictions, tracking etc..


Look up Family Link its made by Google and walks you through everything it let's you control everything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... familylink


Thanks I had read about that but all the reviews said it wasn’t available in the uk yet but it’s obviously since launched.


Yeah it is, you have to be on the latest android but yeah works really well.

You make a Gmail account in the process that when used link to the app you can then set from your phone app policies and thing so when they try to install you have to approve it.

You can then set screen time and stuff for certain app types and junk as well as showing where the device is etc.

Then when they kid gets to the age they are allowed their own account the Gmail account converts to a full fat one and the kid can choose to disable the monitoring and things.

User avatar
ignition
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by ignition » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm

So I've just installed Blokada (thanks for the tip!) and all seems to be working fine, but I do have a few questions.

Is it right that the removal of ads still leaves the frame where the ad would be in place? I had assumed that perhaps the removal of the ad would streamline a site rather than leave a load of blank spaces.

I've added a URL to the whitelist host name but it is still blocking the ads. Have I done something wrong here?

The apps that are defaulted to be whitelisted (e.g. Gmail, photos, play store - basically most of the Google apps) - is there a reason/need for these to be whitelisted?

Has anyone felt the need to use more than just the recommended black list? Are there any common sites that require a more comprehensive approach? The only other additional one I've selected so far is the coin blocker list, but I'm not sure how at risk my device would be to this anyway.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Errkal, lex-man, more heat than light, NickSCFC, PuppetBoy, Rightey, Tragic Magic and 50 guests