Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Plays games!

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Doeragynn
Member
Joined in 2017
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Doeragynn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 am

After seeing that.. Atari gameband video that looked like a complete scam,I would be a bit wary for this one.
That being said,it's hopefully something useful rather than trying to charge people as much as a NES mini for a few games.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by jawafour » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:14 pm



I've not seen this video before... and it suggests that the machine could be pretty powerful. At the end it also shows an image of the console that doesn't look like any images that we have seen so far. This really is becoming rather mysterious.

Edit: "Faster than 400 CPUs"?!?

Edit: I've fallen for the hoax. The YouTube uploader is "Ataro Games" :lol: :fp: :oops: .

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Green Gecko » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Oh jawa :lol: :wub:

Mind you I once got excited about a video that showcased the wii's glowing blue disk slot as some kind of lightning fuelled holographic projector.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Peter Crisp » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Green Gecko wrote:Oh jawa :lol: :wub:

Mind you I once got excited about a video that showcased the wii's glowing blue disk slot as some kind of lightning fuelled holographic projector.


The Wii only sold well because of the soothing blue light and without it would have sold exactly 7 units.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Green Gecko » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 am

I was genuinely disappointed they removed it in two aspects, 1 it only glows when you have a WiiConnect24 download (or used to), rather than all the time at the initial unveiling, and 2 they removed it from the Wii U completely. It lives on in spirit as the glowing blue ring around the Home button on the gamepad though, whenever there is an announcement from Nintendo e.g. new release, sale etc. I just can't avoid pressing the button!

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Somebody Else's Problem » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:04 am

Green Gecko wrote:I was genuinely disappointed they removed it in two aspects, 1 it only glows when you have a WiiConnect24 download (or used to), rather than all the time at the initial unveiling, and 2 they removed it from the Wii U completely. It lives on in spirit as the glowing blue ring around the Home button on the gamepad though, whenever there is an announcement from Nintendo e.g. new release, sale etc. I just can't avoid pressing the button!


That's why the WiiU failed. No blue glow at all.

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by lex-man » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:23 am

Spring seems like a terrible time to launch a new console. Also we still haven't got any real information on what the thing actually is.

User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Poser » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:54 am

lex-man wrote:Spring seems like a terrible time to launch a new console. Also we still haven't got any real information on what the thing actually is.


It certainly killed off the Switch on arrival.

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by lex-man » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Well that and the Switches lack of good games. :shifty: :fp:

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by NickSCFC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm


Image Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by Lagamorph » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Ok so we know what it looks like and what it's called.
But what is it actually for?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ataribox | GRcade can’t decide what it is | Launches Spring 2018
by NickSCFC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Ok so we know what it looks like and what it's called.
But what is it actually for?


Storing cryptocurrency

https://www.pcgamer.com/for-some-reason ... rency-now/

Image Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Green Gecko » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Surely this is just set to be the most expensive way to play Atari games and maybe 1 awful "AAA" exclusive.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by NickSCFC » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Green Gecko wrote:Surely this is just set to be the most expensive way to play Atari games and maybe 1 awful "AAA" exclusive.


Well I guess at least the knock-off Xbox controller confirms it'll play modern games too.

About time they started announcing some though.

Image Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Peter Crisp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:32 pm

This has gone from something with the potential to be something decent into sheer pointlessness.
I realise they don't have the money of Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo but there's plenty of ways to play old Atari games and this just doesn't seem to add anything new or worthwhile.

It's the Steambox all over again just somehow even more worthless.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Preezy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:39 pm

It looks fantastic, to be fair.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Death's Head » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Everyone's going Atari, the number one video game.

Yes?
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Hyperion » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I do kind of want it just for its looks

Image Image
User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Earfolds » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I can't dismiss a games machine before I know what games are going to be on it.

I just don't know what this is meant to be yet, I guess. It's named after the old VCS, but the controller and specs suit mid-range PC games.

If it encourages more developers to support Vulkan over DirectX, at least it will be doing good, though.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Atari VCS | Formerly Ataribox | Some kinda Linux / retro console thing
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Evil Ted wrote:I can't dismiss a games machine before I know what games are going to be on it.

I just don't know what this is meant to be yet, I guess. It's named after the old VCS, but the controller and specs suit mid-range PC games.

If it encourages more developers to support Vulkan over DirectX, at least it will be doing good, though.
Have specs been released then? Is the joystick actually coming with it? I wonder if the build is the same as the original (plastic bits rather than micro switches).

Yes?

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Met, Mintoisgod, Parksey, Photek, The Watching Artist and 36 guests