BBC confirms badger cuts

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Harry Bizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm

In my experience CBBC has always been rubbish. Even as a child I didn't want to watch that crap, and we didn't have an alternative (like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon).

instagram: @habiz
User avatar
EberKneesUp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by EberKneesUp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Lotus wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Lotus wrote:Cheers, thought there'd be something out there already.

Right, get rid of:

BBC 4
BBC 3
Groups and Orchestras
S4C
CBBC or CBeebies
Asian Network
Parliament


You are literally scum.

:lol:

What's the alternative though? The bosses and 'stars' are never going to accept a pay-cut, so it makes sense to get rid of the services that have the lowest audiences (I'm guessing the ones I've mentioned have the least viewers/listeners). Would anyone really miss BBC 3? If there are programmes on any of those that are really that good, move them to a different channel.

Low viewers doesn't mean there's no reason to run it. S4C is the only dedicated Welsh language channel out there as far as I know, so has a perfect reason to remain. Parliament povides a fantastic service, with so much live coverage of parliamentary debates, it ensures the HoC remains truly open to the public. BBC 4 carries some of the best high-brow programing out today, and BBC 3, despite producing some utter shite, has been an excellent proving ground for shows that have gone on to become much more successful, and actually made the BBC money, like Little Briatin did. I can agree with maybe condensing CBBC and Cbeebies in to a single channel, but not scrapping them entirely.

Talent is a massive waste ground for the BBC. Losing Ross probably wasn't a bad thing for them, and there could probably be some restructuring over at their radio section that would save a fair bit, too.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Lotus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Spindash wrote:Isn't S4C part of Channel 4? :arrow:

Yeah, but some programmes are produced by the BBC as part of some kinda public service remit.

I just found out that all funding responsibility for S4C is going to be transferred to the BBC from 2013. :|

Image ImageImage
User avatar
The People's ElboReformat
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goat, Zenigame
Location: El Boat of Goat
Contact:

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by The People's ElboReformat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Spindash wrote:Isn't S4C part of Channel 4? :arrow:

S4C is older than Channel 4.

Image
The Eeveelution club! \o/
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Fatal Exception » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 pm

IMHO BBC Programming is spread too thinly across all their digital channels. Most of the schedule seems to be filled with gooseberry fool, repeats or filler, with 1 maybe 2 good shows a night.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Lotus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Knoyleo wrote:
Lotus wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Lotus wrote:Cheers, thought there'd be something out there already.

Right, get rid of:

BBC 4
BBC 3
Groups and Orchestras
S4C
CBBC or CBeebies
Asian Network
Parliament


You are literally scum.

:lol:

What's the alternative though? The bosses and 'stars' are never going to accept a pay-cut, so it makes sense to get rid of the services that have the lowest audiences (I'm guessing the ones I've mentioned have the least viewers/listeners). Would anyone really miss BBC 3? If there are programmes on any of those that are really that good, move them to a different channel.

Low viewers doesn't mean there's no reason to run it. S4C is the only dedicated Welsh language channel out there as far as I know, so has a perfect reason to remain. Parliament povides a fantastic service, with so much live coverage of parliamentary debates, it ensures the HoC remains truly open to the public. BBC 4 carries some of the best high-brow programing out today, and BBC 3, despite producing some utter shite, has been an excellent proving ground for shows that have gone on to become much more successful, and actually made the BBC money, like Little Briatin did. I can agree with maybe condensing CBBC and Cbeebies in to a single channel, but not scrapping them entirely.

Talent is a massive waste ground for the BBC. Losing Ross probably wasn't a bad thing for them, and there could probably be some restructuring over at their radio section that would save a fair bit, too.

Fair enough. They could do some serious streamlining though, which has to help.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Wiggy G32
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: cpc3232

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Wiggy G32 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Lotus wrote:I'd love to see a breakdown of the BBC's money and where it goes. Anyone know if that's available anywhere?

I wonder if they cut BBC 3 and BBC 4 (putting BBC 4's decent programmes on BBC 2), and some of the excessive numbers of radio stations they have, how much money it'd save.

The amount of repeats the BBC shows just seems to increase, so they must be saving some money on not making new programming.

I reckon they'll try and keep the Premier League highlights, as I'd imagine it's one of their bigger sports draws, but stuff like athletics, rowing, distance running, rugby and the like could well go.



Erm I dont watch a lot of sport but i'm pretty sure all of these sports must get pretty decent viewers they are hardly low profile sports are they? But no they should get rid of all other sport and just show football yes

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Lotus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Wiggy G32 wrote:
Lotus wrote:I'd love to see a breakdown of the BBC's money and where it goes. Anyone know if that's available anywhere?

I wonder if they cut BBC 3 and BBC 4 (putting BBC 4's decent programmes on BBC 2), and some of the excessive numbers of radio stations they have, how much money it'd save.

The amount of repeats the BBC shows just seems to increase, so they must be saving some money on not making new programming.

I reckon they'll try and keep the Premier League highlights, as I'd imagine it's one of their bigger sports draws, but stuff like athletics, rowing, distance running, rugby and the like could well go.



Erm I dont watch a lot of sport but i'm pretty sure all of these sports must get pretty decent viewers they are hardly low profile sports are they? But no they should get rid of all other sport and just show football yes

Well maybe, but if they're reducing the sports budget, it means something has to go. It's not going to be MOTD, it's not going to be Wimbledon, so you're left with the less popular ones. F1, which has already been affected, rugby, athletics, rowing.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
EberKneesUp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by EberKneesUp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

The BBC already let ITV outbid them for the rugby, and it's been atrocious. I'd happily pay an increased license fee just to get that back.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by Lotus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Knoyleo wrote:The BBC already let ITV outbid them for the rugby, and it's been atrocious. I'd happily pay an increased license fee just to get that back.

Just wait until the 6 Nations goes to Sky or ITV. :cry:

Image ImageImage
User avatar
EberKneesUp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by EberKneesUp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Lotus wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:The BBC already let ITV outbid them for the rugby, and it's been atrocious. I'd happily pay an increased license fee just to get that back.

Just wait until the 6 Nations goes to Sky or ITV. :cry:

I might just strawberry floating kill someone.

User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by satriales » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Octoroc wrote:
digital channels BBC Three and Four will become feeder channels for BBC One and Two respectively.


What's a "feeder channel"?

They show something new and original on BBC4 and if it gets a good response they repeat it on BBC2 so that those who are allergic to BBC4 can see it too.

User avatar
Sputnik
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by Sputnik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 pm

As long as they keep funding kick ass documentaries I don't really care.

No, I did not read the OP.

This is malignant for diapered cartoon girls crutches as well

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

BBC won't get rid or cut cbeebies as it generates far too much money for them with sales of their original content around the world.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Tomous » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Lotus wrote:
Spindash wrote:Isn't S4C part of Channel 4? :arrow:

Yeah, but some programmes are produced by the BBC as part of some kinda public service remit.

I just found out that all funding responsibility for S4C is going to be transferred to the BBC from 2013. :|



It'll be worth it though: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8562053.stm :shifty:

User avatar
Sputnik
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by Sputnik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:cbeebies.


Is that another word for documentary?

This is malignant for diapered cartoon girls crutches as well

Image
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by TheTurnipKing » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Its pre-schoolers programming. And possibly the post-school, post-pub programming, too.

User avatar
Exxy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

PostRe: BBC confirms badger cuts
by Exxy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Just keep 6music safe, that's all I ask for :(

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Meep » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Lotus wrote:
15% reduction in sport budget.

Image

Why not 100%? :? Well, it's still progress of a kind I suppose.

Bloody Strictly Come Dancing is actually getting more money! There is no justice.

User avatar
Igor
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Not telling...

PostRe: BBC confirms budget cuts
by Igor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Meep wrote:Bloody Strictly Come Dancing is actually getting more money! There is justice.


:mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Doeragynn, Dowbocop, floydfreak, Frank, ITSMILNER, JediDragon05, Lastpostamorph, LightSamus, Meep, PaperMacheMario, Preezy, Schiess dem Denster, Snowcannon, Tineash, Yahoo [Bot] and 50 guests