Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Silent Right » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:10 am

Things with this game just keep getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it was posted in this thread as I havn't been following it too closely, but I just read somewhere else that the $200 special edition came with a piece of cardboard in the disk case instead of an actual strawberry floating disk! WTF?! How much would it have cost to get an actual disk printed?! Something like $0.50 per disk?!

Image

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Advent7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am

strawberry floating hell :lol:

User avatar
*<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by *<]:^D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:19 am

this whole release is going to be a media studies/business failure case study in a few years :lol: :fp:

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Sleighamorph » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:18 am

Rightey wrote:Things with this game just keep getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it was posted in this thread as I havn't been following it too closely, but I just read somewhere else that the $200 special edition came with a piece of cardboard in the disk case instead of an actual strawberry floating disk! WTF?! How much would it have cost to get an actual disk printed?! Something like $0.50 per disk?!

Image

Code in box is pretty much the norm for 'physical' PC releases these days.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Rightey wrote:Things with this game just keep getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it was posted in this thread as I havn't been following it too closely, but I just read somewhere else that the $200 special edition came with a piece of cardboard in the disk case instead of an actual strawberry floating disk! WTF?! How much would it have cost to get an actual disk printed?! Something like $0.50 per disk?!

Image

Code in box is pretty much the norm for 'physical' PC releases these days.


In a normal release that's fine, but in a $200 special edition they could put a disk in, even if the disk just had the code printed on it or something.

gooseberry fool they could just put some wallpaper files on it or something.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Sleighamorph » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:33 am

Errkal wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Rightey wrote:Things with this game just keep getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it was posted in this thread as I havn't been following it too closely, but I just read somewhere else that the $200 special edition came with a piece of cardboard in the disk case instead of an actual strawberry floating disk! WTF?! How much would it have cost to get an actual disk printed?! Something like $0.50 per disk?!

Image

Code in box is pretty much the norm for 'physical' PC releases these days.


In a normal release that's fine, but in a $200 special edition they could put a disk in, even if the disk just had the code printed on it or something.

gooseberry fool they could just put some wallpaper files on it or something.

Bethesda are hardly the first to do this though.

Hell, there's been expensive collection editions lately that don't come with the game at all, let alone just a code in box (Red Dead Redemption 2, Sonic Mania, Battlefield 1) and those were console versions.

Last edited by Sleighamorph on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Winckle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah this is just fake controversy now. Most PCs don't have Blu-Ray readers, so they'd need to either put in a bunch of DVDs or do what they did.

Frankly my internet connection is faster than my optical drive, and I doubt i'm in the minority amongst PC gamers there.

User avatar
The Cuttcracker Suite
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by The Cuttcracker Suite » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Errkal wrote:In a normal release that's fine, but in a $200 special edition they could put a disk in, even if the disk just had the code printed on it or something.

gooseberry fool they could just put some wallpaper files on it or something.

What? What on earth does it matter to get a pointless physical disc because you paid a premium for other tat?

User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 pm

The stupid thing is putting codes inside a dvd cases. It is dumb to waste a bunch of plastic and transportation on a box containing nothing but a code, because the case becomes completely useless the moment the code is used. If you want something someone can buy as a gift just print it on a card or something.

User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Knoëleo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Given the size of the patches for this already, any disc in the box is basically redundant as it is, as you'd just be launching an obsolete version of the game anyway.

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Silent Right » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:31 pm

If it's so normal to not get disks then why did they bother to have a steel disk case? That was one of the things they promised with the special edition. Why not just add something else nice instead?

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Sleighamorph » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Rightey wrote:If it's so normal to not get disks then why did they bother to have a steel disk case? That was one of the things they promised with the special edition. Why not just add something else nice instead?

Because the console version does come with a disc.
If console owners got a steelbook and PC owners didn't then the controversy would just be about that instead.

Meep wrote:The stupid thing is putting codes inside a dvd cases. It is dumb to waste a bunch of plastic and transportation on a box containing nothing but a code, because the case becomes completely useless the moment the code is used. If you want something someone can buy as a gift just print it on a card or something.

If it was nothing but a game case then yeah, but this part of the collectors edition rather than a standalone game case that just comes with a code in the box.
And as I said, a game case with a printed code in the box is pretty standard for Physical PC releases this time. It's more for the sake of retailers than anything else.

Nintendo did the exact same thing with the Pokemon Gold/Silver re-release for 3DS. It was just a cardboard box with nothing but a code inside.


There are plenty of things to criticise Bethesda for over Fallout 76. This isn't one of them.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Trelliz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Image

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by OrangeReindeer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:07 am

I played 8 hours of this today :lol: Finished exploring Morgantown, headed up to Grafton and met the mayor. I also found a revolutionary sword and a musket, so I'm all ready for any war of independence re-enactments. Better yet I found some ritual bindings under a creepy altar in a basement and then later found a cultist's bone knife, so I can go full murder crazy too.

Oh yeah and I also made a church. Obviously I had to put on pastor vestments for the photos.


https://twitter.com/orangerakoonps4/sta ... 2658099201

The options for stairs are really limited and bad in this game, much worse that Fallout 4's offerings. That church tower was such a pain and it's far from perfect. Still pleased with how it came out in the end!

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Preezy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 am

Very impressive construction, ORKN!

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by OrangeReindeer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you, PRZY!

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Sleighamorph » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 pm



It's good that they're doing this, but that absolutely shouldn't make people forget, nor forgive, this situation arising in the first place.


On the other hand,
Image

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Met » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 am

Can someone confirm if this info about the new respec option is correct?

Once you hit the soft cap you can choose to reallocate perks and such instead of adding a new one. So if you want to fully respec you have to level from 51-100 and just reallocate your perks. So you'll just be half as strong as you would be if you didn't respec, making it worthless. You also don't get scaling xp at higher levels, so it'll take longer to level from 51-100 than 1-50, meaning it would just be better to reroll, completely invalidating the whole process.

I'm not going to call it strawberry floating stupid until I make sure I'm not misunderstanding this, but if I'm not, my god that's strawberry floating stupid .

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Met wrote:Can someone confirm if this info about the new respec option is correct?

Once you hit the soft cap you can choose to reallocate perks and such instead of adding a new one. So if you want to fully respec you have to level from 51-100 and just reallocate your perks. So you'll just be half as strong as you would be if you didn't respec, making it worthless. You also don't get scaling xp at higher levels, so it'll take longer to level from 51-100 than 1-50, meaning it would just be better to reroll, completely invalidating the whole process.

I'm not going to call it strawberry floating stupid until I make sure I'm not misunderstanding this, but if I'm not, my god that's strawberry floating stupid .


You can reallocate perks any time you want. Respeccing is about reallocating SPECIAL points. When you level up you can increase a special point and pick a new perk card, after level 50 you only get to pick a new perk card. I believe the respec update will let you choose to move one of your special points rather than take a new perk card.

It'll take a while if your build is completely off for sure, but it's certainly better than having to start a new character if you messed up SPECIAL allocation for the perks you want to equip. You won't be "half as strong" or anything like that because while you can pick new perk cards, how many you can equip is limited by your SPECIAL stats which maxes out in total at level 50.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fallout 76 is the score it wishes it had on metacritic
by Sleighamorph » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 pm

OrangeReindeer wrote:
Met wrote:Can someone confirm if this info about the new respec option is correct?

Once you hit the soft cap you can choose to reallocate perks and such instead of adding a new one. So if you want to fully respec you have to level from 51-100 and just reallocate your perks. So you'll just be half as strong as you would be if you didn't respec, making it worthless. You also don't get scaling xp at higher levels, so it'll take longer to level from 51-100 than 1-50, meaning it would just be better to reroll, completely invalidating the whole process.

I'm not going to call it strawberry floating stupid until I make sure I'm not misunderstanding this, but if I'm not, my god that's strawberry floating stupid .


You can reallocate perks any time you want. Respeccing is about reallocating SPECIAL points. When you level up you can increase a special point and pick a new perk card, after level 50 you only get to pick a new perk card. I believe the respec update will let you choose to move one of your special points rather than take a new perk card.

It'll take a while if your build is completely off for sure, but it's certainly better than having to start a new character if you messed up SPECIAL allocation for the perks you want to equip. You won't be "half as strong" or anything like that because while you can pick new perk cards, how many you can equip is limited by your SPECIAL stats which maxes out in total at level 50.

But won't you have fewer perk cards to pick from if you have to spend levelling up on changing SPECIAL allocation rather than taking a new perk card?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christmas CrackErrkal, H3AN3Y, Monkey Man, Red 5 stella, Rob-Ho-Ho-92 and 60 guests