Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)

Anything to do with games at all.

Kos or Kosm?

Kos
11
61%
Kosm
7
39%
 
Total votes: 18
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Started this. Quite enjoying the standard exploring and combat. I like that its quicker then DS and the health regen certainly encourages you to be more aggressive (or reckless :slol: ) but I'm probably enjoying it more simply because I've beaten DS and I know how it works. I've just beaten Father Gazza which took a fair few goes (I didn't use the music box 8-) ). Beat the Cleric Beast first time. Gazza was an exhilarating fight but both have the same persistent camera and lock on issues that plenty of DS had. Gazza had some cheap bits where it seemed like if you got hit once depending on what he did he could combo you to death. Meaning it might as well have been a one hit kill. Also I sat down randomly in the fight and he hit me through pillars. Very annoying. :x

Having vials for health does encourage exploring to I think. You know there is a decent chance enemies will drop them so you are less reliant on the checkpoints.

Must remember that the trigger isn't the camera lock on and that it isn't Zelda. :lol: :fp: Really wish they would put in a marker for when you can lock on to an enemy. Fed up with pressing it only for the camera just to recenter.

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Made more progress. Told the girl about her dead parents. She wasn't happy. Anyway. I pressed on. Tried to explore the next area, it felt like there were maybe 3/4 ways to go but only 1 wasn't blocked off. Went through a tomb and then some twat started shooting at me. Feels a bit out of place tbh. Managed to carefully pick my way into a church with lots of screaming things. Threw a Molotov which made me fall off the ledge because the animation is strawberry floating massive and then they all attacked me and I died having run away. Got back then found a shortcut and then another shortcut. Dont really feel like I know where I'm suppose to be going. The story has given me names of places but this whole section just feels directionless. The shooty bloke seems excessive (certainly when combined with some of the enemies and lack of cover) and a couple of bits you might as well be blind. Just run in and hope and ran back in fear.

The big tall dudes though! :lol: Yeah right in this tight area with no room lets put a massive strawberry float off thing. :lol: The ball and chain guy followed my down some steps and oh my! :lol: Attack after attack through walls. I'd be furious if it just wasn't so predictable hilarious.

Image
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by sawyerpip » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Slight spoilers on areas and where to go so don't read if you want to explore by yourself - You're in Old Yharnham which is entirely optional. I think the vast majority of players end up there after Gascoigne but you can complete the game without setting foot in there so feel free to leave it for now if it's annoying you.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by jawafour » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:53 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:Started this...

:o . I didn't think that you enjoyed the Dark Souls games... but, hey, it seems like you're getting into this okay :toot: .

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 pm

sawyerpip wrote:Slight spoilers on areas and where to go so don't read if you want to explore by yourself - You're in Old Yharnham which is entirely optional. I think the vast majority of players end up there after Gascoigne but you can complete the game without setting foot in there so feel free to leave it for now if it's annoying you.

Thanks but I shall endeavour by myself for the time being. :D I'm going to regret this
jawafour wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:Started this...

:o . I didn't think that you enjoyed the Dark Souls games... but, hey, it seems like you're getting into this okay :toot: .

Watch my stream and find out if I'm enjoying it. :slol:

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Ad7 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 pm

It's such a shame the reputation of difficulty precedes this game and the souls series as so many people won't even try them. They're no harder than NES era games, it's just we're used to a much easier time of it with games these days. So many people are missing out on the shear adventure of these because they've talked themselves in to thinking they won't be able to play them.

Enjoying reading your progress TWA :nod:

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 am

Ad7 wrote:Enjoying reading your progress TWA :nod:

The game is a banana split

Not really enjoying this section much. Carried on exploring in the hope I might stumble along one of the places that's been mentioned but all I found was the Blood-starved Beast. Now the tedium has really set in...... Honestly I'm not really struggling so much with this fight. Sure nearly all the attacks look the same because it just spastics about the place. But he leads with the right arm so just dodge left and hope your close enough. But it's all about the last stage. The slow poison is a crappy cheap way to extend this fight. If I manage to get close enough to hit the twat I get poisoned. By the time I've got away enough to have some antidote I've lost so much health I have to stop and heal 2/3 times. So that's multiple points of just basically standing there waiting to be hit again. This fight would be long over if not for this rubbish. I tried throwing a molotov at him. It missed.

So after a couple of attempts and the slog of travelling back each time I have to go get more antidote. Yay for farming. Zzzzzzzzz. Then a few more attempts. Now more farming. See now this is where the blood vial thing is much worse then the system in DS. For the first time I'm now running low on them. Probably because I burn through them trying to deal with the shitty poisoning. But unlike DS I'm not provided with a set amount of health. No its tied to RNG drops and buying. So rather then just cracking on with the long tedious slog back to the fight I now have to farm those as well.

Oh and the lock on stops working again and I'm sure the twat starved banana split can hit through the pillars.

Image
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by smurphy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 am

The Blood Starved Beast might be my favourite boss in Bloodborne. I've come across him so many times in the Chalice Dungeons that I feel like I know his every move. And he probably has the most badass music of all time.

Most of his attacks can be parried fairly easily, then go in for the visceral. There's one that can't be parried though, I think it's the one where he rears up on both hands. Took me ages to recognise it properly. When he gets to his third stage just keep away from him until he does the crazy slashing, wait until he passes you then get some cheap hits in from behind.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Ad7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:56 am

Summon the npc if you're having trouble. I beat him first try I think :shifty:

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by <]:^D » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am

whens the next electronics sale likely to be? im going to finally bit the bullet and get a ps4 pro and this.

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:35 am

Ad7 wrote:Summon the npc if you're having trouble. I beat him first try I think :shifty:

No thanks I'm not cheating.

EDIT- I was tempted to try and stun him but I'm basically dead if I get it wrong or do it against a move that can't be parried. As far as I can tell there is no visual clue that an attack can't be parried so it's just guess work.

Last edited by The Watching Artist on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by <]:^D » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 am

summoning npcs isnt cheating :lol:

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am

<]:^D wrote:summoning npcs isnt cheating :lol:

Deep down inside you know its true.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Mafro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm

smurphy wrote:The Blood Starved Beast might be my favourite boss in Bloodborne. I've come across him so many times in the Chalice Dungeons that I feel like I know his every move. And he probably has the most badass music of all time.

Most of his attacks can be parried fairly easily, then go in for the visceral. There's one that can't be parried though, I think it's the one where he rears up on both hands. Took me ages to recognise it properly. When he gets to his third stage just keep away from him until he does the crazy slashing, wait until he passes you then get some cheap hits in from behind.

The flaps of skin hanging off his back still give me the boke :dread:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Ad7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:summoning npcs isnt cheating :lol:

Deep down inside you know its true.


:fp:

Stop reading gaf.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Ad7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Mafro wrote:
smurphy wrote:The Blood Starved Beast might be my favourite boss in Bloodborne. I've come across him so many times in the Chalice Dungeons that I feel like I know his every move. And he probably has the most badass music of all time.

Most of his attacks can be parried fairly easily, then go in for the visceral. There's one that can't be parried though, I think it's the one where he rears up on both hands. Took me ages to recognise it properly. When he gets to his third stage just keep away from him until he does the crazy slashing, wait until he passes you then get some cheap hits in from behind.

The flaps of skin hanging off his back still give me the boke :dread:


Just wait until he shows up as a regular enemy :dread:

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Ad7 wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:summoning npcs isnt cheating :lol:

Deep down inside you know its true.


:fp:

Stop reading gaf.

I wouldn't touch that place with yours.

I mean it though. I've seen boss fights when people summon npcs or other players. I remember seeing Pedz beat Gazza and it was a farce (sorry Pedz). He went from having epic fights and getting so close to winning to barely having to do a thing. I watched the whole of the IGN Prepare To Try series of Dark Souls and its a great example of someone getting further then they should. He struggles for a long looooooong time because he didn't get to learn. This game is all about overcoming obstacles. And apparently its so masterfully made and crafted by the supreme makers of games that every fight teaches you something and makes you better. So each fight is a test of how much you have learned. You pass the test and move on. Whats the point if you don't actually pass the test? Whats the point if the boss can only cope with one enemy at a time because that clearly how it was designed?

I honestly think an easier difficulty where you take less damage is a better way to go. At least then you still have to learn enemy attacks. When to dodge, parry, attack etc. You still have to work out a tactic and beat the bad guy. But you wont be punished as quickly for mistakes and it gives you more time to learn. Not just cheese your way though a fight by stabbing something in the back over and over because its looking the wrong way.

Image
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by smurphy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:04 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:As far as I can tell there is no visual clue that an attack can't be parried so it's just guess work.


Yes there is. All the attacks are distinct and the ones that can be parried can always be parried. You just have to learn to recognise them.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by Ad7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
Ad7 wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:summoning npcs isnt cheating :lol:

Deep down inside you know its true.


:fp:

Stop reading gaf.

I wouldn't touch that place with yours.

I mean it though. I've seen boss fights when people summon npcs or other players. I remember seeing Pedz beat Gazza and it was a farce (sorry Pedz). He went from having epic fights and getting so close to winning to barely having to do a thing. I watched the whole of the IGN Prepare To Try series of Dark Souls and its a great example of someone getting further then they should. He struggles for a long looooooong time because he didn't get to learn. This game is all about overcoming obstacles. And apparently its so masterfully made and crafted by the supreme makers of games that every fight teaches you something and makes you better. So each fight is a test of how much you have learned. You pass the test and move on. Whats the point if you don't actually pass the test? Whats the point if the boss can only cope with one enemy at a time because that clearly how it was designed?

I honestly think an easier difficulty where you take less damage is a better way to go. At least then you still have to learn enemy attacks. When to dodge, parry, attack etc. You still have to work out a tactic and beat the bad guy. But you wont be punished as quickly for mistakes and it gives you more time to learn. Not just cheese your way though a fight by stabbing something in the back over and over because its looking the wrong way.


You can only summon for about a third of the fights I'd say and more often than not it's a waste of your time as they just die straight away (I stopped summoning real people early on for this very reason, complete waste of insight to have some split finally join only to Jenkins the fight).

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Bloodborne - The Nightly Hunt begins... (The Old Hunters DLC out Tuesday!)
by The Watching Artist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 pm

smurphy wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:As far as I can tell there is no visual clue that an attack can't be parried so it's just guess work.


Yes there is. All the attacks are distinct and the ones that can be parried can always be parried. You just have to learn to recognise them.

Ok. I've either just not tried to parry something that can't be parried or not spotted the sign. So far everything anytime I've not parried an attack it seems to look the same as mistiming one I can.

Internet issues stopped me streaming my rage fueled adventure today so it seemed a good point to get the farming I needed to do done. Should be able to take on Flaps McBack next time. And then have to farm over and over again when I run out again. Gave me a chance to poke about a bit more. I've made one of the talking doors go to the Cathedral. Turns out the door is actually a really grumpy old lady. I could have sent her to the clinic but that place turned me into this monster so she can chat with the cheerful errrr "bloke" with the creepy laugh instead. At least if he eats her he will be happy. The lady at the clinic tried to tempt me with sweets. A sure sign she was not to be trusted.

I found the ladder that led to the gun twat. I knocked him off the top. I was very disappointed not to be allowed to use the gun. Then dealt with the hunter guy below.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darksideby182, Errkal, gamerforever, HSH28, jawafour, more heat than light, Oblomov Boblomov, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz, Rubix, That's not a growth, Yahoo [Bot] and 44 guests