SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Tomous » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 am

I imagine you tried to forget about it because of how utterly stupid it is.

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by The Watching Artist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am

I'd like to think so to.

Image
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by BID0 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:33 am

the whole end was a big problem during scripts. That was written late in the day when things were being filmed to rush this film out before the distribution rights expired.

Originally Bond/Spectre/Blofeld were after a piece of paper with something written on it.

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by The Watching Artist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:37 am

Probably the actual script.

Image
User avatar
Miguel007
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Miguel007 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:52 am

The thing that bugged me about Spectre was:
Why risk everything on a Big Brother style network only to blow your cover - if we are to believe you are a criminal organisation behind nearly all the films and everything, how did you get your Intel in the past? Rendering this whole exercise pointless, stick to your tried and tested methods.

I was hoping Blofeld killed Bond's parents which would have been a satisfying payoff for a great actor like Waltz.

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Spectre has a rating of 66 on Rotten Tomatoes, Quantum of Solace's is 65 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spectre_2015/

Yours truly helped bring down the average. Good 8-)

BORbles
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by BORbles » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Meh.

Who cares about Rotten Tomatoes? It does strawberry float all. :lol:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Christmas Name Change » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 am

Skippy wrote:Spectre has a rating of 66 on Rotten Tomatoes, Quantum of Solace's is 65 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spectre_2015/

Yours truly helped bring down the average. Good 8-)


What did you give Skyfall?

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Skippy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:17 am

Dan. wrote:
Skippy wrote:Spectre has a rating of 66 on Rotten Tomatoes, Quantum of Solace's is 65 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spectre_2015/

Yours truly helped bring down the average. Good 8-)


What did you give Skyfall?


Wasn't reviewing stuff back then, but I'd go for four stars now

User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Christmas Name Change » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:22 am

Skippy wrote:
Dan. wrote:
Skippy wrote:Spectre has a rating of 66 on Rotten Tomatoes, Quantum of Solace's is 65 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spectre_2015/

Yours truly helped bring down the average. Good 8-)


What did you give Skyfall?


Wasn't reviewing stuff back then, but I'd go for four stars now


I honestly can't fathom your logic. So Skyfall is a four-out-of-five movie and Spectre is two-out-of-five, and yet your criticisms of Spectre are "It was desperately trying to be arty, really self indulgent and far too long." Quite how you could possibly claim that of Spectre and not Skyfall with a straight face is beyond me.

"just a succession of Bond clichés with very little tying it all together. Skyfall by comparison recognised the history of Bond in a way that didn't pander to smack audiences around the head." - again, I can't see how you have interpreted it this way around, when the impression I got was the opposite. In Skyfall, Bond and M are fleeing and require a car. Bond goes to a secret locale and pulls a sheet off of a vehicle, revealing a classic Bond car underneath... and then the Bond theme plays. If this is not smacking the audience around the head with a theme then I do not know what is.

Whereas Spectre's nods to the old movies were along the lines of a scene on a wooden train - a clear nod to From Russia With Love, but just a reference, not hammered home. The line "wouldn't be the first time" about being shot accidentally by a woman nodding to Skyfall. The references to Bond being taught to ski and the downhill alpine scenes harking back to Lazeby- and Moore-era films. These are subtle. The only point where you could possibly argue the audience are "smacked around the head" is for the Blofeld reveal - and even you agreed "the reveal was well handled" with your only criticism being "we all knew Waltz was playing him a year ago" (which is not really a legitimate criticism).

"Monica Belucci and Craig's scenes together were good apart from they had no reason to shag. Seydoux and Craig's chemistry was tepid to say the least and by the final act their relationship felt unearned." The whole point of Bond seducing Belucci's character to earn her trust and get her to reveal her secret - an unwanted, widowed woman, scared and lonely. Sure the idea of him doing this isn't particularly noble or PC but this is a James Bond movie and if you're suggesting that it's out of character for Craig's Bond to sleep with her in this scene, then you're suggesting it's out of character for a man to have sex with an attractive woman who wants to have sex, which is ridiculous. :lol: I agree with your point about Seydoux's character, the sudden jump from disdain to love was absurd and definitely the film's weakest aspect.

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Skippy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for reading

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Captain Kinopio » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Saw it today, enjoyed it. Felt it was let down by a rather weak attempt to tie together the last 3 films which kind of left Blofeld and Spectre feeling a bit confused and not really any more significant than a normal Bond villain.

Madeline was probably the best thing about the film for me :wub:

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Dan, you are mental. Still. Just plain batshit.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Hyperion » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Dan(iel Craig)

Image Image Image
User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Christmas Name Change » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:53 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Dan, you are mental. Still. Just plain batshit.


Thanks for dismissing my criticisms with your eloquent and well-thought-out response :simper:

I'll trawl back through the thread and see your previous posts on the subject to see if I can find a reason for your being dismissive

Tafdolphin wrote:The whole thing was a collection of locales connected by the thinnest of thin plot and bunch of two dimensional "characters" doing...well. Bit of this. Bit of that. Stuff.


Here you are talking about Skyfall, I can only assume

Oh my God Javier Bardem is the villain and he's an ex-agent! That is so connected to MI5 and MY WORD HIS SEXUALITY IS AMBIGUOUS. Such character development. Now we're on an island, then London HE IS OUT FOR REVENGE then Scotland. Such connection of locales

If you're left feeling "grubby" by skewed gender politics then I can only assume you've never enjoyed any of the old James Bond films? In which case I can't understand why you expected to like this one. Clearly you liked Skyfall but Skyfall is just an exercise in cinematography/marketing and doesn't hold water as a credible action movie; even less so as a 'Bond film'.

User avatar
Lastpostamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Lastpostamorph » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:55 am

Really enjoyed this overall.
Though it was kinda weird to see the villain from The Green Hornet going up against James Bond.

Loved that they injected a bit more wit and humour back into the series too.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Skippy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:10 am

You must be the only person on this planet who sees Christoph Waltz playing a villain and thinks "Green Hornet"

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Rudolphin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Dan. wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Dan, you are mental. Still. Just plain batshit.


Thanks for dismissing my criticisms with your eloquent and well-thought-out response :simper:

I'll trawl back through the thread and see your previous posts on the subject to see if I can find a reason for your being dismissive

Tafdolphin wrote:The whole thing was a collection of locales connected by the thinnest of thin plot and bunch of two dimensional "characters" doing...well. Bit of this. Bit of that. Stuff.


Here you are talking about Skyfall, I can only assume

Oh my God Javier Bardem is the villain and he's an ex-agent! That is so connected to MI5 and MY WORD HIS SEXUALITY IS AMBIGUOUS. Such character development. Now we're on an island, then London HE IS OUT FOR REVENGE then Scotland. Such connection of locales


To be honest it applies to both of them, but at least Skyfall's locations were interesting with good set pieces and interesting dialogue. Spectre was just...dull in comparison.

If you're left feeling "grubby" by skewed gender politics then I can only assume you've never enjoyed any of the old James Bond films? In which case I can't understand why you expected to like this one. Clearly you liked Skyfall but Skyfall is just an exercise in cinematography/marketing and doesn't hold water as a credible action movie; even less so as a 'Bond film'.


I think I actually mentioned the older Bonds while discussing that. In fact, I made a point to. Back in the 60 and 70s gender politics allowed for such nonsense. In the 90s Bond films the women usually had something to do (Natalya, that Chinese spy from TND, the main villain from TWINE). Here they're both useless and there just for the T&A. It's really rather backwards.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Christmas Name Change » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:01 pm

I agree the female roles in this were very poorly thought-out. However except for M (who you might argue is relegated from powerful supervisory role to simple damsel in distress) they're not any better in skyfall. They haven't been good in any Bond since Casino Royale. It's something I think they'll struggle with for a while.

User avatar
Lastpostamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: SPECTRE (Bond 24) - Oct 26, 2015
by Lastpostamorph » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Skippy wrote:You must be the only person on this planet who sees Christoph Waltz playing a villain and thinks "Green Hornet"

It was the only thing I could remember him being in at the time.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dan, Google [Bot], Parksey, Snowcannon, Yahoo [Bot] and 46 guests