Page 1 of 3

Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), Skarjo's poison batch now shipping

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 am
by Ad7
I'm just about to start making my own beer for the first time. Admittedly it's an off the shelf kit to start me off, but it looks like it could be a cool thing to get In to.

Anyone here brew their own larger?

Image

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 am
by Skarjo
I'm currently brewing my own mead and it is pretty cool. It think brewing beer is more complicated than mead though, and I think it's ready faster. EBAY

What kind are you brewing? What's the kit?

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:52 am
by Skarjo
Where the strawberry float did eBay come from in that post? I have no idea how that got there.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:58 am
by Errkal
I want to. I priced up the kit I need to do it.

I could go for the plastic bucket cheap as hell approach but I know I would get board and want to do things properly with out mixes and kits.

Just need to save the £800 for the setup :D

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:59 am
by Fatal Exception
Kind of a waste to do a larger as in the drink larger. Homebrew turns out best with ales, bitters and porters. I've done a few batches of my own. I currently have some mead on the go. The ferment is so strawberry floating slow on it but I'll be racking it up next week.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 pm
by Fatal Exception
Errkal wrote:I want to. I priced up the kit I need to do it.

I could go for the plastic bucket cheap as hell approach but I know I would get board and want to do things properly with out mixes and kits.

Just need to save the £800 for the setup :D


Or less:

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/equipment/ag-eq ... r-set.html

Doesn't include a fermenting bucket, but you really only need a plastic bucket with a lid for that.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:04 pm
by SandyCoin
I'm thinking of doing the Brooklyn Brew one. Not sure when, but it's certainly something I'd like to try. If it's nice then it's rather good value. I hear good things about it.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:05 pm
by Ad7
Skarjo wrote:I'm currently brewing my own mead and it is pretty cool. It think brewing beer is more complicated than mead though, and I think it's ready faster. EBAY

What kind are you brewing? What's the kit?


It's a kit by Mr. Beer. Yeah it's a plastic keg jobbie, but I've never done it before so may as well start easy and work up to something like Errkal is talking about if I get in to it.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 pm
by Errkal
Yeah I don't want a plastic kit.

I figure if I am going to do something like make beer I will do it properly.

I dont like mediocre ales and stuff I'm all about craft beer so to have a kit where the best I can do it dull beer I wont enjoy whats the point. So instead I'll save and build a proper steel kit that is capable of making the kind of beers I enjoy drinking.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm
by Ad7
Errkal wrote:Yeah I don't want a plastic kit.

I figure if I am going to do something like make beer I will do it properly.

I dont like mediocre ales and stuff I'm all about craft beer so to have a kit where the best I can do it dull beer I wont enjoy whats the point. So instead I'll save and build a proper steel kit that is capable of making the kind of beers I enjoy drinking.


Image

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:12 pm
by Errkal
hahaha

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:13 pm
by Fatal Exception
Errkal wrote:Yeah I don't want a plastic kit.

I figure if I am going to do something like make beer I will do it properly.

I dont like mediocre ales and stuff I'm all about craft beer so to have a kit where the best I can do it dull beer I wont enjoy whats the point. So instead I'll save and build a proper steel kit that is capable of making the kind of beers I enjoy drinking.


Have you ever actually been to a beer festival? Everything is in plastic kegs. There's nothing wrong with them.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:20 pm
by Errkal
Fatal Exception wrote:
Errkal wrote:Yeah I don't want a plastic kit.

I figure if I am going to do something like make beer I will do it properly.

I dont like mediocre ales and stuff I'm all about craft beer so to have a kit where the best I can do it dull beer I wont enjoy whats the point. So instead I'll save and build a proper steel kit that is capable of making the kind of beers I enjoy drinking.


Have you ever actually been to a beer festival? Everything is in plastic kegs. There's nothing wrong with them.


Yeah loads, most use normal metal casks for Ales, metal kegs or increasingly use a key keg now which has a plastic outer casing but metalic internal bag.

Besides that is finished beer. I dont mind it being stored on plastic polypins etc. but making the beer itself is better done in steel using gas for heating as it is faster and gives greater tempurature control.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm
by Fatal Exception
I've never seen one metal keg at any of the CAMRA festivals I've been to. Always standard plastic ones. I admire your enthusiasm, but don't let the people who've been doing this for years tell you that you need pro level equipment for hobby level brewing.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm
by SandyCoin
Whilst having that kind of expensive kit would be great, do you really think you could get the same kind of quality as a craft microbrewery? Can't say I know much about their operations, but surely the kit they use to produce their beer is going to be more expensive than £800. Although obviously they need more for demand.

Also, a suggestion that this should be perhaps moved to http://grcade.co.uk/t:real-ale-thread?start=260 as this was discussed in there.

Also on the subject of home brewing, there are those that started gin companies from their homes with a "smal"l kit and produced excellent results without the need for giant copper Gin distilleries.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:10 pm
by Errkal
Fatal Exception wrote:I've never seen one metal keg at any of the CAMRA festivals I've been to. Always standard plastic ones. I admire your enthusiasm, but don't let the people who've been doing this for years tell you that you need pro level equipment for hobby level brewing.


Odd everyone I go to is metal, some in mental colours that look plastic but hey hey.

I know I dont technically need a mega kit, but although it is a hobby thing but I'm not a big fan of standard beers like bests, and general bitters. I like things with massive IBU ratings or huge hops flavors or high % and I just don't think that I will get the flavours or cleanness of taste etc. by using a plastic hobby style kit.

If I wanted to bash out some doombar grade meh average beer I would be able to use plastic kit but to make decent level beers that I would actually want to drink I would rather blow a larger heap of money on something that will get me started and allow me to expand what I can make without the need to re-buy or upgrade the kit.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:11 pm
by Errkal
SandyCoin wrote:Whilst having that kind of expensive kit would be great, do you really think you could get the same kind of quality as a craft microbrewery? Can't say I know much about their operations, but surely the kit they use to produce their beer is going to be more expensive than £800. Although obviously they need more for demand.
.


You can get the same results yeah, Brew by Numbers were using a 1 keg level kit to get started until they got brewdog investment and where given the original brewdog kit.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:38 pm
by Qikz
Image wrote:Where the strawberry float did eBay come from in that post? I have no idea how that got there.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 pm
by Ad7
Just finished the first stage of the brewing, now we play the two week waiting game before I can bottle it up and let it ferment in there.

Re: Brewing your own beer (as in the drink beer), anyone here do it? 'Caderbrau

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:45 pm
by darksideby182
On the plastic keg thing mainly see metal kegs at any beer festival I've been too.