Brexit Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

How would you vote if we had to vote again?

Leave
4
4%
Remain
96
96%
 
Total votes: 100
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Dual » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Such a lad :wub: :lol:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by KK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Fag in one hand, wine with ice in it in the other, and Corbyn’s wife...

Bet he could take Danny Dyer now.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 am

ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 am

Squinty wrote:ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.


He might be going to festivals now, but I bet you will never see Davey Cameron down in a tube station at midnight.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 am

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.


He might be going to festivals now, but I bet you will never see Davey Cameron down in a tube station at midnight.


People accused him of Going Underground after Brexit, but it actually turned out he was in a Strange Town called Malice.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:54 am

Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.


He might be going to festivals now, but I bet you will never see Davey Cameron down in a tube station at midnight.


People accused him of Going Underground after Brexit, but it actually turned out he was in a Strange Town called Malice.


Did the Jam ever do a song called “stupid ham faced banana split”?

If not, then they should have as it would have been perfect for a time like this.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 am

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.


He might be going to festivals now, but I bet you will never see Davey Cameron down in a tube station at midnight.


People accused him of Going Underground after Brexit, but it actually turned out he was in a Strange Town called Malice.


Did the Jam ever do a song called “stupid ham faced banana split”?

If not, then they should have as it would have been perfect for a time like this.


Nah. It's surely the Bitterest Pill I ever had to swallow.

(I'm sorry)

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 am

Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:ETON RIFLES, ETON RIFLES.


He might be going to festivals now, but I bet you will never see Davey Cameron down in a tube station at midnight.


People accused him of Going Underground after Brexit, but it actually turned out he was in a Strange Town called Malice.


Did the Jam ever do a song called “stupid ham faced banana split”?

If not, then they should have as it would have been perfect for a time like this.


Nah. It's surely the Bitterest Pill I ever had to swallow.

(I'm sorry)


That’s Entertainment to you I guess.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by KK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am

Britain may have to live off cheese and salmon omelettes after no-deal Brexit

Britain would run out of food on this date next year if it cannot continue to easily import from the EU and elsewhere after Brexit, the National Farmers’ Union has warned.

Minette Batters, the NFU president, urged the government to put food security at the top of the political agenda after the prospect of a no-deal Brexit was talked up this week.

“The UK farming sector has the potential to be one of the most impacted sectors from a bad Brexit – a frictionless free trade deal with the EU and access to a reliable and competent workforce for farm businesses is critical to the future of the sector,” she said.

Batters’ warning comes a fortnight after the Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, said Britain would have “adequate food supplies” after Brexit.

While Downing Street has insisted it is confident an agreement can be made in time, the international trade secretary, Liam Fox, warned over the weekend that the prospect of a no-deal Brexit was now at “60-40”, fuelling fears at the NFU and among food importers.

Food security in Britain is in long-term decline, with the country producing 60% of what it needs to feed itself, compared with 74% 30 years ago, according to figures from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

In a statement issued by the NFU, Batters expressed concern that Britain would not be able to meet its food needs if Brexit was mismanaged.

Research showed 7 August 2019 would be the nominal day that Britain would run out of food if it were asked to be wholly self-sufficient based on seasonal growth, the NFU said.

The temperatures of the past few weeks have put Britain’s food production capabilities into sharp focus and underlined concerns.

Batters said the consequences of there being no agreement could be mitigated if the government took immediate action and gave domestic production its “unwavering support”.

Changing eating habits over the past three decades have helped fuel the increasing reliance on food grown overseas, with perishable items such as tomatoes, lettuce and citrus fruits expected to be available all year round.

But global economics have also contributed to imbalances in foods that can be produced in the UK.

According to figures from the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board, the UK is a net exporter of meat, but relies heavily on imports such as bacon from Denmark, which exports 90% of its pork.

Britain exports more milk and cream products than it produces, and imports almost three times as much cheese as it exports, almost twice as many eggs and almost 20 times as many fresh vegetables, according to HMRC statistics for 2017.

Among the few surplus products are whisky and salmon.

The NFU said the figures showed Brexit is an opportunity for British food producers to redress the balance.

“The statistics show a concerning long-term decline in the UK’s self-sufficiency in food and there is a lot of potential for this to be reversed,” Batters said.

“And while we recognise the need for importing food which can only be produced in different climates, if we maximise on the food that we can produce well in the UK, then that will deliver a whole host of economic, social and environmental benefits to the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mers-union

Image
User avatar
Benzin
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Benzin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 am

Yet the farmers voted heavily in favour of Brexit :roll: :fp:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by KK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am

Obviously the U.K isn’t going to run out of food in the doomsday scenario sense, but it may lead to less choice and definitely higher prices. Say, Cherries from Spain and the U.K. for example: around about £2 a box. Cherries from California can be up to £8 (M&S). I think that’s the type of thing we can expect if there’s no deal.

Also look how earlier in the year Fage Greek yoghurt disappeared over pricing issues. You’ll probably have stuff like that happening all over the place.

Image
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Octoroc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:48 am

The UK couldn't produce enough food for itself in the 40s, which is why we relied on North America to supply us.

We haven't had 'food security' for a very long time. It will be great to see a resurgence of seasonal food- oranges at Christmas, strawberries in June and no Kiwi fruit whatsoever.

There may be an increase in tinned food.

Just like in the 70s! :wub:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by lex-man » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 am

Benzin wrote:Yet the farmers voted heavily in favour of Brexit :roll: :fp:


Won't this mean that farmers will be able to change more for food?

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by DML » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 am

KK wrote:Obviously the U.K isn’t going to run out of food in the doomsday scenario sense, but it may lead to less choice and definitely higher prices. Say, Cherries from Spain and the U.K. for example: around about £2 a box. Cherries from California can be up to £8 (M&S). I think that’s the type of thing we can expect if there’s no deal.

Also look how earlier in the year Fage Greek yoghurt disappeared over pricing issues. You’ll probably have stuff like that happening all over the place.


I wouldn't be so confident on that.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am

KK wrote:Obviously the U.K isn’t going to run out of food in the doomsday scenario sense,


I don’t think the UK will run out of food, but it would be silly to pretend that the worst couldn’t happen.

Dropping out with no deal could mean that we have ZERO trade deals with other countries (the WTO rules would not be automatic). As the UK cannot feed itself, a no deal doomsday scenario could mean starvation, maybe not in the sense of people dying but there would be hungry bellies out there.

I don’t think it will go that far even in a no deal scenario, but it is a definite possibility under no deal.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Lagamorph » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm

On the up side ration book manufacturing will be a new growth market.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Rex Kramer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Lagamorph wrote:On the up side ration book manufacturing will be a new growth market.

I'm sure there is a French company that could provide them at a good rate.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by KK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 pm

It would finally mean a big change in attitudes from consumers, manufacturers, and supermarkets who will have their hand forced by outside factors, seeing as we currently bin 16% of our fruit and vegetable output because of imperfections, and something like 130,000 gallons of British milk is swilled every single year. How disgusting is it that as a nation we’re throwing away £10billion of food every year, most of it when we’ve brought it home.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:On the up side ration book manufacturing will be a new growth market.

I'm sure there is a French company that could provide them at a good rate.


Blue ration books!1!!!!!

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Hyperion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm

KK wrote:It would finally mean a big change in attitudes from consumers, manufacturers, and supermarkets who will have their hand forced by outside factors, seeing as we currently bin 16% of our fruit and vegetable output because of imperfections, and something like 130,000 gallons of British milk is swilled every single year. How disgusting is it that as a nation we’re throwing away £10billion of food every year, most of it when we’ve brought it home.

And all we needed to do was isolate ourselves from the world and starve :wub:

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, ignition, Kanbei, Meep, PaperMacheMario, Peter Crisp, Qikz, Return_of_the_STAR, RichardUK, Rightey, Tragic Magic and 53 guests