Brexit Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

How would you vote if we had to vote again?

Leave
8
7%
Remain
112
93%
 
Total votes: 120
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Qikz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:12 pm

lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:


They are not wrong either, if Northern Ireland gets it, then why shouldn't Scotland? They voted Remain as well.

The Welsh can strawberry float off though, they voted to Leave just like England did. :lol:


Welsh people claim it's all the English people that tipped the vote towards leave.


strawberry floating assholes. It's their fault.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by BID0 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

March for peoples vote - 20th October

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/brexit_march_rsvp/

I’m sure everyone here but the eight Brexit supporters will be attending ;)

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Garth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 pm


Dat special relationship :datass:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by lex-man » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Garth wrote:
Dat special relationship :datass:


It's more amusing that it look like Trump is going to shut down the WTO by the time we leave the EU so we won't be able to settle any of the trade disputes caused by us leaving and therefore we'll be blocked from making any new trade deals.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Garth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 am

Not a very satisfactory answer from the BBC as to why they didn't have any pro-EU MEPs on Question Time over the the last 5 years (possibly even longer).

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Lagamorph » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 am

ITV News exclusive: Progress made in Irish border Brexit backstop negotiations

The most important development would be that the EU seems close to agreeing that the backstop would apply to the whole UK and not just to Northern Ireland, as it originally demanded - or at least it would apply to the whole UK for customs.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 am

Lagamorph wrote:ITV News exclusive: Progress made in Irish border Brexit backstop negotiations

The most important development would be that the EU seems close to agreeing that the backstop would apply to the whole UK and not just to Northern Ireland, as it originally demanded - or at least it would apply to the whole UK for customs.


This was agreed at the end of phase 1, then ERG and leavers threw the toys out of the pram. DUP will be happy though, as there is no divergence of the entire UK is doing this.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am

Garth wrote:Not a very satisfactory answer from the BBC as to why they didn't have any pro-EU MEPs on Question Time over the the last 5 years (possibly even longer).


It's a rather pathetic answer.

I understand they had pro EU people on during that timeframe, but to have zero pro EU MEPs in the last five years? It kind of sends the message to the public that the European Parliament is a waste of time when the only MEPs they see are those who hold it in contempt.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Rex Kramer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 am

Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:Not a very satisfactory answer from the BBC as to why they didn't have any pro-EU MEPs on Question Time over the the last 5 years (possibly even longer).


It's a rather pathetic answer.

I understand they had pro EU people on during that timeframe, but to have zero pro EU MEPs in the last five years? It kind of sends the message to the public that the European Parliament is a waste of time when the only MEPs they see are those who hold it in contempt.

I'd wager the vast majority of UK citizens think that anyway, as a country we've made little to no effort in engaging in the diplomatic processes of the EU. Hardly surprising that the public believes this though when they consider the best people to send over to do job are people like Paul Nuthalls (of the UKIPs).

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:
It's a rather pathetic answer.

I understand they had pro EU people on during that timeframe, but to have zero pro EU MEPs in the last five years? It kind of sends the message to the public that the European Parliament is a waste of time when the only MEPs they see are those who hold it in contempt.

I'd wager the vast majority of UK citizens think that anyway, as a country we've made little to no effort in engaging in the diplomatic processes of the EU. Hardly surprising that the public believes this though when they consider the best people to send over to do job are people like Paul Nuthalls (of the UKIPs).


Yes and the reason they think it is because the only MEPs we ever see are the likes of Farage and Hannan who go on TV to tell people that it is a waste of time and money. While simultaneously telling us that the EU controls our entire lives and that we are living under a dictatorship.

The BBC is obsessed with balance, but this is an area where they really failed. I can see that they thought putting a Labour or Lib Dem MP up against a UKIP MEP counted as balance, but hearing from pro EU MEPs would have done a great deal to educate people in just how important the European Parliament was/is.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by captain red dog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 am

The problem with MEPs is that they don't particularly stand on a platform, with a manifesto of sorts of what they want to achieve. The choice you get is literally the political party, with virtually nothing from the MEP to explain what they want to achieve if elected.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 am

captain red dog wrote:The problem with MEPs is that they don't particularly stand on a platform, with a manifesto of sorts of what they want to achieve. The choice you get is literally the political party, with virtually nothing from the MEP to explain what they want to achieve if elected.


The European Parliament is based on proportional representation, not FPTP. The party therefore releases a manifesto/election pamphlets rather than the individuals.

And they do release manifestos relating to what they want to achieve.

Labour: http://www.maniffesto.com/documents/lab ... esto-2014/

Conservative: http://conservativeeurope.com/downloads ... o-2009.pdf

Lib Dem: http://www.maniffesto.com/documents/lib ... esto-2014/

UKIP: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/t ... 1398869254

Green Party: https://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/fi ... 202014.pdf

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Garth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm





User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:The problem with MEPs is that they don't particularly stand on a platform, with a manifesto of sorts of what they want to achieve. The choice you get is literally the political party, with virtually nothing from the MEP to explain what they want to achieve if elected.


The European Parliament is based on proportional representation, not FPTP. The party therefore releases a manifesto/election pamphlets rather than the individuals.


I think it's a valid criticism of proportional representation that it shifts the focus onto the political party and away from the representatives. It's why I favour some form of direct representation.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Pedz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Photek wrote:
Moggy wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:


They are not wrong either, if Northern Ireland gets it, then why shouldn't Scotland? They voted Remain as well.

The Welsh can strawberry float off though, they voted to Leave just like England did. :lol:


Welsh people claim it's all the English people that tipped the vote towards leave.


They also claim you can have an entire language using only the letter “L”.

Don’t ever trust them.

Wales to me seem rather pointless, they might as well just call themselves English. The only Welshman of any note was St Patrick and even he couldn't stand it over there.


:|

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Moggy wrote:
captain red dog wrote:The problem with MEPs is that they don't particularly stand on a platform, with a manifesto of sorts of what they want to achieve. The choice you get is literally the political party, with virtually nothing from the MEP to explain what they want to achieve if elected.


The European Parliament is based on proportional representation, not FPTP. The party therefore releases a manifesto/election pamphlets rather than the individuals.


I think it's a valid criticism of proportional representation that it shifts the focus onto the political party and away from the representatives. It's why I favour some form of direct representation.


I think most people would prefer more proportional representation though. A huge proportion of votes are “lost” under FPTP, if you live in a Tory/Labour safe seat then your vote counts for nothing if you don’t support the dominant party.

Plus I doubt most people know who their local MP even is.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by OrangeRKN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd rather have PR than FPTP. I'm endlessly frustrated that I have always been unrepresented in parliament because I have never voted for the winner in a general election.

FPTP doesn't exactly set a high bar for ways to run a fair democracy though!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Finally the BBC call Johnson out on his utter bullshit.


User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Garth » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 am

Barnier:
And we are still open – we are still open – to the idea of having a customs union with the UK. Such a customs union would eliminate an important part of customs checks.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ys-barnier

DUP abstained on a vote on an amendment to the agriculture bill earlier as a warning to May...









User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Photek » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 am

Pedz wrote:
Photek wrote:
Moggy wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:


They are not wrong either, if Northern Ireland gets it, then why shouldn't Scotland? They voted Remain as well.

The Welsh can strawberry float off though, they voted to Leave just like England did. :lol:


Welsh people claim it's all the English people that tipped the vote towards leave.


They also claim you can have an entire language using only the letter “L”.

Don’t ever trust them.

Wales to me seem rather pointless, they might as well just call themselves English. The only Welshman of any note was St Patrick and even he couldn't stand it over there.


:|

Only winding you up man, Wales is grand.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, darksideby182, DubuDeccer, FatDaz, Garth, Google [Bot], Kanbei, Photek, Qikz, Rubix, Senor_Coconut, Snowcannon, Tsunade and 73 guests