Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 am

Ad7 wrote:Sounds like that quote came right on time.


I enjoyed that.

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Saigon Slick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am

Ad7 wrote:Sounds like that quote came right on time.


Took me a minute but :lol:

Fun fact - that song was no. 1 on the day I was born. :dread:

Image Image
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Sounds like that quote came right on time.


Took me a minute but :lol:

Fun fact - that song was no. 1 on the day I was born. :dread:


That I remember that song so well makes me feel very old.

Mine was Heart of Glass by Blondie. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Car Thread II
by Death's Head » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:33 am

Poser wrote:Mine was Heart of Glass by Blondie. :wub:


My sister used to have the 12" of that.

Yes?
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Car Thread II
by jawafour » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:42 am

.

Last edited by jawafour on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:03 am

Death's Head wrote:After putting up with corroded wheels on the Dodge for years, finally decided to get them all refurbished.

Before they all looked like this:
Image


The new look:
Image




Just saw this. The black on red looks good.

Mine are in to be refurbed next month - suffering from corrosion and I'm losing air from the back two. Mine also look pretty shocking - I'll get some before and after pics as well for posterity.

Mine is slightly less per corner (£65 or £70 depending on what colour I go for) but I'm going to a tiny place on a industrial park in Washington, so that's probably why.

Not sure what to go for in terms of colour, though, and this is where you guys can help.

Here's the motor:

Image


So do I just get the same, or go in a different direction? I like black wheels but not so much on a black car. They did offer me something like this - black chrome, which will look a little different without being too try-hard.

Image


Discuss.

Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Kezzer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

Yeah nice colour and the double spokes are cool

And of course... Sweet car. :datass:

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
BORbles
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by BORbles » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

Poser wrote:
Death's Head wrote:After putting up with corroded wheels on the Dodge for years, finally decided to get them all refurbished.

Before they all looked like this:
Image


The new look:
Image




Just saw this. The black on red looks good.

Mine are in to be refurbed next month - suffering from corrosion and I'm losing air from the back two. Mine also look pretty shocking - I'll get some before and after pics as well for posterity.

Mine is slightly less per corner (£65 or £70 depending on what colour I go for) but I'm going to a tiny place on a industrial park in Washington, so that's probably why.

Not sure what to go for in terms of colour, though, and this is where you guys can help.

Here's the motor:

Image


So do I just get the same, or go in a different direction? I like black wheels but not so much on a black car. They did offer me something like this - black chrome, which will look a little different without being too try-hard.

Image


Discuss.

I like the colour and the looks of it too.

Good stuff.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Car Thread II
by Death's Head » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Poser wrote:Mine are in to be refurbed next month - suffering from corrosion and I'm losing air from the back two.


Just out of interest does your car have pressure sensors? The Dodge always had air escaping from one of the back wheels since new and I thought it was a tyre but it turned out to be the valve (which has to stay when the tyres were changed).

When I got the wheels refurbished they said the valves would need to be replaced but were having trouble getting the parts (which were ridiculously about the same prices as the refurb). So I just went with standard valves which resulted in the air pressure warning but somehow, after one journey it just decided not to display the warning anymore. Also, no more air escaping.

If you do have pressure sensors you may have an unexpected cost if you want them replaced.

As for colour, did they suggest diamond cut? If so, you might want to avoid that option as they will corrode more quickly.

Last edited by Death's Head on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

gold :datass:

Image
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: RE: Re: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am

Death's Head wrote:
Poser wrote:Mine are in to be refurbed next month - suffering from corrosion and I'm losing air from the back two.


Just out of interest does your car have pressure sensors? The Dodge always had air escaping from one of the back wheels since new and I thought it was a tyre but it turned out to be the valve (which has to stay when the tyres were changed).

When I got the wheels refurbished they said the valves would need to be replaced but were having trouble getting the parts (which were ridiculously about the same prices as the refurb). So I just went with standard valves which resulted in the air pressure warning but somehow, after one journey it just decided not to display the warning anymore. Also, no more air escaping.

If you do have pressure sensors you may have an unexpected cost if you want them replaced.

As for colour, did they suggest diamond cut? If so, you might want to avoid that option as they will corrode more quickly.


Cheers for the heads up re diamond cut; I don't think that was an option but I'll check.

Nah, no pressure sensors - nothing that fancy, fortunately. I am, however, carrying a compressor round in the back 24/7 to keep them topped up. I went a few days without driving it the other week, they were both down to 15psi :fp:

I realise it could also be the tyres, but the wheels are 100% in need of doing so I'll do that first then get tyres after if needed. Plenty tread on them.

False wrote:gold :datass:


Doesn't look terrible on black, but it's a bit out there for me, sadly.

Image

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Death's Head » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Turns out the new actuator is slightly different to the old one (adjustable Vs not adjustable) which is giving the option of no turbo or intermittent turbo all over the place.

They are now refitting the old actuator so the new one can be returned. Ordered another from a different place which has the same numbers and according to the garage doing the work, looks the same and is non adjustable.

So about £220 for today's work, £160 for the new actuator (hopefully no problems getting the £114 for the other returned) then another £110 to get the new-new one fitted.

...and then I find out if this is actually the problem.

*strawberry floating sigh*

Yes?
User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Knoëleo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Some banana split snapped the casing off my nearside wing mirror at the car park earlier. I didn't notice until I went to leave and the plastic fell off as I pulled out into the main road.

I've been trying to fit it back on, but the whole thing's so bent out of shape it's not going. I'll give it another go once the rain's stopped. The electrics still work, at least.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Lotus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 am

My boss has just ordered one of these:

Image

Lexus LC

Coincidentally I saw one on the motorway yesterday - looks so good. :datass:

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Death's Head » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Dodge is having the actuator replaced and received a call to say the turbo hose needs replacing as it is soft at one end. Of course, they can't get it so another eBay job. When will this BS expense/hassle end? :(

Yes?
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Advent7 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Sound like you need to get out of dodge

Image
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:09 pm

Death's Head wrote:Dodge is having the actuator replaced and received a call to say the turbo hose needs replacing as it is soft at one end. Of course, they can't get it so another eBay job. When will this BS expense/hassle end? :(


Sounds like you've reached the point I reach with every single car I've ever had, where you've put too much into it to get rid, but need to put much more into it to keep it.

Ad7 wrote:Sound like you need to get out of dodge


:lol: You bastard.

Image
User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

Poser wrote:Sounds like you've reached the point I reach with every single car I've ever had, where you've put too much into it to get rid, but need to put much more into it to keep it.


Sounds like a sunk cost fallacy to me.

Sell the car, never buy an American piece of shite ever again.

Image
User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Seven Posers Posing » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:45 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Poser wrote:Sounds like you've reached the point I reach with every single car I've ever had, where you've put too much into it to get rid, but need to put much more into it to keep it.


Sounds like a sunk cost fallacy to me.

Sell the car, never buy an American piece of shite ever again.


It's always tyres for me. I've always just put new tyres on a car when something major goes wrong.

Image
User avatar
Darkstalker90
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Darkstalker90 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Worked out yesterday that the Type-R has drank over a £1,000 worth of petrol in the last ten months and that's without any super-long trips anywhere in the last year. Just commuting and cruising.

Let's see how crazy I can make that final figure by the time I reach the 12 month mark :!:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Mintoisgod and 71 guests