Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone with experience can answer my questions.

I bought a new car recently a transferred over the insurance from my old one, which I still own. Apparently legally all vehicles need to be insured unless they are SORN but I still need to drive the car back and forth from a nearby garage for repairs. Is this allowable or do I need to take out extra insurance for the thing just to drive it for repair? Kind of annoyed of how expensive this is proving at the moment because switching insurance cost me £40 despite having only half a month left on the policy (the insurers have got me by the balls because cancelling early has a similar fee and you cannot use no claims bonus on more than one vehicle at once).

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Sleighamorph » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Meep wrote:Hey, I was wondering if anyone with experience can answer my questions.

I bought a new car recently a transferred over the insurance from my old one, which I still own. Apparently legally all vehicles need to be insured unless they are SORN but I still need to drive the car back and forth from a nearby garage for repairs. Is this allowable or do I need to take out extra insurance for the thing just to drive it for repair? Kind of annoyed of how expensive this is proving at the moment because switching insurance cost me £40 despite having only half a month left on the policy (the insurers have got me by the balls because cancelling early has a similar fee and you cannot use no claims bonus on more than one vehicle at once).

You need insurance to drive the car at all on public roads, even if just to repairs or an MOT. It's only Tax that you're allowed to drive without if you're on the way to a pre-booked MOT.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
BORbles
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by BORbles » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm

My Volvo have reached 20,000 miles and it's going strong. The average MPG have increased too which is good thing! :toot:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 pm

BOR wrote:My Volvo have reached 20,000 miles and it's going strong. The average MPG have increased too which is good thing! :toot:

Did you miss out a zero? 20,000 miles is very low.


Lagamorph wrote:
Meep wrote:Hey, I was wondering if anyone with experience can answer my questions.

I bought a new car recently a transferred over the insurance from my old one, which I still own. Apparently legally all vehicles need to be insured unless they are SORN but I still need to drive the car back and forth from a nearby garage for repairs. Is this allowable or do I need to take out extra insurance for the thing just to drive it for repair? Kind of annoyed of how expensive this is proving at the moment because switching insurance cost me £40 despite having only half a month left on the policy (the insurers have got me by the balls because cancelling early has a similar fee and you cannot use no claims bonus on more than one vehicle at once).

You need insurance to drive the car at all on public roads, even if just to repairs or an MOT. It's only Tax that you're allowed to drive without if you're on the way to a pre-booked MOT.

Thanks. Kind of a headache for anyone buying and selling privately. Temporary insurance is astronomically expensive for just the month or two it will take me to get rid of the old car so I will probably take out the least expensive third party insurance I can find on it and take the hit of cancellation fees when I find a buyer.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Death's Head » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Death's Head wrote:I've not checked that but the engine only goes into limp home mode specifically when it is underload in 6th gear, I've never got it to do this in any other gear. The car has only done 47k miles so I think unless I've been very unlucky, it is not a turbo issue. Given that the fuel filter has never been changed and it should be on the 3rd by now, I think this is key to the problem with a jolt under acceleration in lower gears due to fuel restriction and the engine error in 6th gear, again due to fuel restriction but reporting an overboost error as best guess to what the problem is.

Booked in for Friday so all will be revealed then. Or maybe not.

Bit early to release the party poppers but so far, results are very positive. Actually took the car in on Thursday for all of the work and since having it done, no jolting whilst driving (including under acceleration). Yesterday evening I took it out for under load stress testing and was able to accelerate from 60 to about 80 in top gear up an incline with no engine management light and dropping into limp home mode. I'm not going to say for certain that this is fixed yet, but if this continues for a month or so and I get in some long drives during that time, I'm going to be feeling pretty confident. I'm also expecting to see some consumption in improvement as this has dropped off over the last few years.

Yes?
User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 pm

After over 3 weeks without a car (except the hire car I had to give back last week), everything has finally gone through and I pick up my new car tomorrow.

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-ca ... hatchback/

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:After over 3 weeks without a car (except the hire car I had to give back last week), everything has finally gone through and I pick up my new car tomorrow.

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-ca ... hatchback/

I wouldn’t buy it from those rip-off merchants.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:08 pm

rinks wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:After over 3 weeks without a car (except the hire car I had to give back last week), everything has finally gone through and I pick up my new car tomorrow.

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-ca ... hatchback/

I wouldn’t buy it from those rip-off merchants.


I work for them. Awkward.

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Less awkward: I knew that.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Curls » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Really appreciate reading Mark Flynn's view on the car.

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Locked my keys in the car last night. :fp:

Fortunately this is not the first time I've done it and I've become quite adept at the old "string with a slipknot through the door frame to pull up the latch" technique of breaking in to cars.

I really should just get a second key made up for emergencies, but there is a real sense of victory when you manage to break in! :lol: :shifty:

ImageImage
User avatar
Rob-Ho-Ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Rob-Ho-Ho-92 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 pm

I've yet to lock my keys in any of the two cars I've owned, I have got a second key for my Civic but I seem to have put it somewhere so safe even I cannot find it! :fp:

Image

Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:I've yet to lock my keys in any of the two cars I've owned, I have got a second key for my Civic but I seem to have put it somewhere so safe even I cannot find it! :fp:


I'm always doing things like that! Whenever I put something away "safe" I think to myself - I'll definitely remember this is here, it's such a logical place for it. Then when I want to find it again that part of my brain seems to go on holiday and suddenly it could be anywhere!

I still need to head to the key cutters to get a new one done up for my car, I'm hoping given how old the car is that it should be a cheap job and not like a modern car where a new key can cost hundreds!

ImageImage
User avatar
Rob-Ho-Ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Rob-Ho-Ho-92 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:I've yet to lock my keys in any of the two cars I've owned, I have got a second key for my Civic but I seem to have put it somewhere so safe even I cannot find it! :fp:


I'm always doing things like that! Whenever I put something away "safe" I think to myself - I'll definitely remember this is here, it's such a logical place for it. Then when I want to find it again that part of my brain seems to go on holiday and suddenly it could be anywhere!

I still need to head to the key cutters to get a new one done up for my car, I'm hoping given how old the car is that it should be a cheap job and not like a modern car where a new key can cost hundreds!


Yeah if it's old enough getting another key cut shouldn't be an expensive job, saying that I'm not sure when it became really expensive to get another key but I think for new cars you need to go through a dealership don't you? Yet to own a brand new car so I've no idea.

Image

Image
User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Silent Right » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:00 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:I've yet to lock my keys in any of the two cars I've owned, I have got a second key for my Civic but I seem to have put it somewhere so safe even I cannot find it! :fp:


I'm always doing things like that! Whenever I put something away "safe" I think to myself - I'll definitely remember this is here, it's such a logical place for it. Then when I want to find it again that part of my brain seems to go on holiday and suddenly it could be anywhere!

I still need to head to the key cutters to get a new one done up for my car, I'm hoping given how old the car is that it should be a cheap job and not like a modern car where a new key can cost hundreds!


Yeah if it's old enough getting another key cut shouldn't be an expensive job, saying that I'm not sure when it became really expensive to get another key but I think for new cars you need to go through a dealership don't you? Yet to own a brand new car so I've no idea.


If your key has a chip inside it then you need to go to a dealer to get it programed. Regarding when it became standard it depends on the brand, my old Lexus was a 1998 and had a chip, but that was a luxury car at the time, my sister had a 1998 CRV which just had a metal key.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Curls » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Here's my current situation.

I'll be in the market for a new car soon. I've applied for a job abroad and if i do I get the job, I can import a UK car tax free through work...IF it is new.

However I know new cars are an absolute rip off. Normally withing 2-3 years they have depreciated in value extortionately. With 20 % off (or whatever the tax is) I'm wondering if getting a new car will be more worthwhile than getting a decent one 2-3 years old.

My other options is buyign a car here and then importing it for free through work. This can be any car, not tax free though.

I know nothing really. I currently drive on old Diesel ford focus and if upgrading I'd be looking at spending 6000 or 7000 on something similar that'll last me a good while. All I do know is I don't want an Audi, BMW or a 4x4 Tiguan shite thing. Just a good old normal car. I can go higher on prices, but I really don't see how spending any more than 6 or 7 K would be worthwhile.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Dual » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:43 pm

You're not going to get a new car for £7k

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Dual wrote:You're not going to get a new car for £7k

Could if he got a Dacia.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Curls » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Dual wrote:You're not going to get a new car for £7k


I have the potential to up that sum substantially if getting a new car with tax off would cut the depreciation cost.... eg. Buy it new, use it for 2 years. Sell it for same price I bought it ( or 20% less than original RRP). Sorry I didn’t explain.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Dual » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 pm

You keep saying tax free. Do you mean VAT?

I'm still not sure what you're asking for tbh


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, Bunni, Chestnut Snowleaves, Garth of Christmas Future, Google [Bot], Jerusalime, lex-man, Met, OrangeReindeer, Peter Crisp, Preezy, The Cuttcracker Suite and 64 guests