Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Tragic Magic » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Also, not that I can really do anything about it, but is it safe to leave it on our drive (which is on a decline/incline)? The broken side is resting on top of the tyre which you can see here (top):

Image

User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Get a car jack, if your car has a spare tyre kit then it might have one inside (usually the boot). Then just jack it up a little bit on the rear jack point to get the weight off the wheel.

If you are on an incline then you might also want to put some blocks by the wheels in case it rolls.

Image
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Sleighamorph » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:47 pm

How old is the car? Any chance it could still be under liability of the dealer?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm not sure I'd put it on a jack if it's on a slope. I would think that would make it less safe, if anything.

If you don't want to pay towing fees, have a look if there's a local mobile repair place that could fix it at your home.

But something you probably don't want to hear: It's usually recommended to get both sides changed at the same time.

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Lagamorph wrote:How old is the car? Any chance it could still be under liability of the dealer?


Judging by the shape of the bumper, that's a Mk1 Yaris, so well outside of manufacturer's warranty.

Image
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Sleighamorph » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:How old is the car? Any chance it could still be under liability of the dealer?


Judging by the shape of the bumper, that's a Mk1 Yaris, so well outside of manufacturer's warranty.

True, but if it was only purchased from a dealer a few months ago they may still have some liability under the CRA.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:How old is the car? Any chance it could still be under liability of the dealer?


Judging by the shape of the bumper, that's a Mk1 Yaris, so well outside of manufacturer's warranty.

True, but if it was only purchased from a dealer a few months ago they may still have some liability under the CRA.


He said his breakdown cover had just ended, so I'm guessing he's had it at least a year.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Peter Crisp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:59 pm

I don't own a car so don't post here often but I do like small British manufacturers and I thought you might all enjoy watching this.


jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Bill Clay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Bill Clay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Waitasec... Tragic had car trouble and no one recommended phoning Quentin Wilson for help? What's wrong with this place nowadays.

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Silent Right » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:12 pm

rinks wrote:I'm not sure I'd put it on a jack if it's on a slope. I would think that would make it less safe, if anything.

If you don't want to pay towing fees, have a look if there's a local mobile repair place that could fix it at your home.

But something you probably don't want to hear: It's usually recommended to get both sides changed at the same time.


Something else to keep in mind is that the springs work in tandem with the dampers, pictured below. If your springs broke, it might have also caused some damage to the damper.

Image

Might be worth checking these before you decide if you want to buy just springs or the spring and shock combo, because as Rinks said, normally they're replaced on both sides at the same time.

That being said get someone who you trust as the dampers can be pricey to replace.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm

LewisD wrote:Waitasec... Tragic had car trouble and no one recommended phoning Quentin Wilson for help? What's wrong with this place nowadays.


Most are too young to remember Quentin doing Top Gear.

Image
User avatar
Bill Clay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Bill Clay » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 am

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
LewisD wrote:Waitasec... Tragic had car trouble and no one recommended phoning Quentin Wilson for help? What's wrong with this place nowadays.


Most are too young to remember Quentin doing Top Gear.


I meant more that Tragic and Quentin are bezzie mates from when Tragic was on Quentin's "Britains Worst Teenager" program.
Classic.

BORbles
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by BORbles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Ford Focus 2018:
Image
Image

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Bill Clay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Bill Clay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:20 pm

That rear end is like a hybrid of a one series, an A-Class and a Volvo C30.

....I like it though.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm

It has a Hofmeister Kink!

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 pm

I can't see beyond the wonky rear number plate.

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Advent7 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I look forward to being cut up by one of those with ST written on it in the near future.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Presents
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Presents » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm

There's a definite BMW 1 series vibe to the side view.

Image
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 am

Dunno if Im reading too much into it, but the whole design screams cheap to me.

The panels are too large and slab like. It just looks like something designed from day dot to be cheap to press and stick together.

Im sure it will be as ubiquitous and anonymous as ever within a few months, but still.

Image
User avatar
Rob-Ho-Ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Rob-Ho-Ho-92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am

Looks alright I suppose. I quite like the way it's got F O C U S written on the rear.

Image

Image

Return to “Stuff”