Page 131 of 150

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm
by Ad7
Always had a car too, it's the wife's company car. She opted not to have one with her current job so we lease one at the moment.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 pm
by False
Thought Ad was a true proponent of the vannette lifestyle? This secret fact might SHOCK YOU!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Death's Head wrote:
rinks wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Also I have only done 11,000 miles since my last oil change...

"Only".
He might have a 20k service interval. I hear it is ok to check tyre pressure and fluid levels between services.

Yes I still have 9k before the next oil change. Possibly the garage that did my last oil change did not fill it up completely as I have never had to top up before.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm
by False
Its not uncommon for newer german turbo cars to use oil like fuel because manufacturers dont give enough of a gooseberry fool to build them otherwise.

Re: RE: Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 pm
by Rightey
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Today the engine oil low warning light came on. It says to top up with 1 litre of oil as soon as possible.
But when I clean the dipstick, insert all the way and pull out. There is oil all over the end past the plastic red part...
Do you not have a marker showing min and max on the dipstick? If so, is the oil below the minimum amount? If not, did the warning come on whilst driving or did it come on when stationary?


The warning came on whilst I was driving but its okay now I was just reading the dipstick wrong :oops: . Obviously it had oil residue all over the red bit but only a lot at the bottom marker so it was low indeed (there is no text just some dashed lines at the bottom and top of the red bit which confused me a bit).
Went to Shell and got a litre of the helix ultra and topped it up. The red part of the dipstick is now black all over and idrive remeasured the oil level (once the engine was warm enough whilst stationary) and its now showing the level as max and ok :D happy days.

Thanks!

Also I have only done 11,000 miles since my last oil change...must me all that harsh accelerating I do to overtake stupid drivers :lol:



Not that it matters now that the oil is already in there, but I hope you checked to make sure you got the right kind of oil. I'm not sure what your car would take but it would either be something like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30. It would be written on your oil cap.

Re: RE: Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 pm
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Gently-Parted Ringpiece wrote:Its not uncommon for newer german turbo cars to use oil like fuel because manufacturers dont give enough of a gooseberry fool to build them otherwise.

Interesting. First time I've had a twin turbo engine. Love the responsiveness and the little compressed air sound it makes when I let go of the accelerator lol.

Rightey wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Today the engine oil low warning light came on. It says to top up with 1 litre of oil as soon as possible.
But when I clean the dipstick, insert all the way and pull out. There is oil all over the end past the plastic red part...
Do you not have a marker showing min and max on the dipstick? If so, is the oil below the minimum amount? If not, did the warning come on whilst driving or did it come on when stationary?


The warning came on whilst I was driving but its okay now I was just reading the dipstick wrong :oops: . Obviously it had oil residue all over the red bit but only a lot at the bottom marker so it was low indeed (there is no text just some dashed lines at the bottom and top of the red bit which confused me a bit).
Went to Shell and got a litre of the helix ultra and topped it up. The red part of the dipstick is now black all over and idrive remeasured the oil level (once the engine was warm enough whilst stationary) and its now showing the level as max and ok :D happy days.

Thanks!

Also I have only done 11,000 miles since my last oil change...must me all that harsh accelerating I do to overtake stupid drivers :lol:



Not that it matters now that the oil is already in there, but I hope you checked to make sure you got the right kind of oil. I'm not sure what your car would take but it would either be something like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30. It would be written on your oil cap.

Thanks for your concern :) I actually checked the manual and there were loads of different specs that it could take. I got 5W-40 (which was listed in the manual) Shell Ultra Helix fully synthetic.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am
by Ad7
Got a new golf courtesy car today, it's pretty nice.

Mot, major service, brake fluid change and suspension/shocks issues being looked at today. Rip in peace my bank balance.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am
by Poser
Ad7 wrote:Got a new golf courtesy car today, it's pretty nice.

Mot, major service, brake fluid change and suspension/shocks issues being looked at today. Rip in peace my bank balance.


I saw you post here and my first thought was 'gooseberry fool, the van has died...'

That's a real strawberry floater right before Christmas. :(

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 am
by Ad7
It's not died, but it's going to need a lot of stuff doing to it.

Right before Christmas as you say :dread:

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:26 am
by Poser
Ad7 wrote:It's not died, but it's going to need a lot of stuff doing to it.

Right before Christmas as you say :dread:


I guess it's the suspension that could really knack you as that's the 'unknown' part.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 pm
by Ad7
It's failed on a fuckload of stuff. They're pricing it now.

Place your bets :dread:

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 pm
by Poser
£1,374, incl VAT.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:47 pm
by False
Nobody said the vanette life was easy

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 pm
by Poser
Gently-Parted Ringpiece wrote:Nobody said the vanette life was easy


It's certainly no surprise the suspension is knackered.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm
by darksideby182
£950 all in.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:07 pm
by Ad7
Ive just had a rough price. I feel like I want to cry and/or kill myself.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:10 pm
by Poser
Tell us! Then do whatever you want.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:11 pm
by False
2.3k

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:12 pm
by BOR
£1,800.

Re: Car Thread II

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:12 pm
by Ad7
I wish.