Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well

Anything to do with games at all.
deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by deathofcows » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
deathofcows wrote:Spoilers mayne!


Sorry, I don't think I mentioned much but added some spoiler tags anyway, my bad :(


No problem, just in case people wanted C-Sides (wherever the hell they are) to be a surprise.

User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by OldSoulCyborg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 am

deathofcows wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:
deathofcows wrote:The Reflection Crystal Heart was such a relief when I worked out what to do. Still no idea what's going on with the satellite in level 1, though - nor even where the B-Side is :fp:


Wait, what? Do you have the chapter 1 crystal heart?


I think not? :(

Alright. And by Reflection you mean the 6th chapter and not Mirror Temple? Or did you confuse the two?

Flickr
Wii U: StainyGrimes
deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by deathofcows » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 am

OldSoulCyborg wrote:
deathofcows wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:
deathofcows wrote:The Reflection Crystal Heart was such a relief when I worked out what to do. Still no idea what's going on with the satellite in level 1, though - nor even where the B-Side is :fp:


Wait, what? Do you have the chapter 1 crystal heart?


I think not? :(

Alright. And by Reflection you mean the 6th chapter and not Mirror Temple? Or did you confuse the two?


No the one called Reflection with the depression mega boss fight, and the trippy foliage and multidirectional thwomps.

I've actually just done its B-Side. It took a long time and a lot of deaths. It was a bit obscene in its demands but felt good to have finished. And learning the nuances of play needed to progress feels more rewarding than any arbitrary 'leveling up'. And love how each screen is as much a puzzle of movement as a challenge of execution.

Only thing is, whereas the main game's balance is pitched so that difficult things are only Just so (and grabbing difficult and ingenuous strawberries feels like a high five from the game), the B-Sides are tough enough that I settle into a rhythm of constantly dying and getting better by increments. By the time you've done each screen you've sometimes mastered it by brute force and volume of efforts so that finishing it feels less skin-of-your-teeth intuituve play and more well-honed perfection. There's also fewer unpressured areas of just movement and discovery, and a narrower focus. The satisfaction is less that of feeling like a freestyling genius and more that of a perfected routine.

Still fun and satisfying (and still elicits lots of swearing out of relief when things beaten) - but a pretty distinct feel and flow from the main game, and a different mindset in reaction to the difficulty.

And I think I'm glad to have both in the game. Loving it still :)

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by OrangeRakoon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Level spoiler for Summit -> C-side



I haven't got past the first section yet jfc this might be what defeats me. But I must try. I must try.

deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by deathofcows » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Level spoiler for Summit -> C-side



I haven't got past the first section yet jfc this might be what defeats me. But I must try. I must try.


:fp:

I'm going to have to get a better control option than the inconsistent analogue man.

Did The Core yesterday - love this game, and then some.

The B-Side rhythm action endings are pretty emotionally confusing at times. For example the Reflection one was 1) reassuring, in that I'd gotten to the end, but also 2) hard. But that Reflection B-Side music is possibly my favourite track from the game (and that's saying something).

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by OrangeRakoon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am

I've missed too much of the music from playing this on buses/trains :(

deathofcows wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Level spoiler for Summit -> C-side



I haven't got past the first section yet jfc this might be what defeats me. But I must try. I must try.


:fp:

I'm going to have to get a better control option than the inconsistent analogue man.


You're telling me...

My progress as of going to sleep last night:



I got /slightly/ further than this on the bus this morning, so I am making visible progress. I feel like my consistency can only get so high because of the quite frequent analogue mistakes though. The final death count and time spent on this level is going to be something, that's for sure :lol:

deathofcows
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by deathofcows » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:I've missed too much of the music from playing this on buses/trains :(

deathofcows wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Level spoiler for Summit -> C-side



I haven't got past the first section yet jfc this might be what defeats me. But I must try. I must try.


:fp:

I'm going to have to get a better control option than the inconsistent analogue man.


You're telling me...

My progress as of going to sleep last night:



I got /slightly/ further than this on the bus this morning, so I am making visible progress. I feel like my consistency can only get so high because of the quite frequent analogue mistakes though. The final death count and time spent on this level is going to be something, that's for sure :lol:


That was a great run, though I feel a little sick even watching it. Already getting pre-traumatic stress disorder from the idea of trying it.

User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by Clarkman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Now beaten the game (at least up to the end of Chapter 7). Very satisfying and well balanced experience overall. Pitch perfect story telling and controls. Feeling semi motivated to unlock The Core.

More likely to take a break from it for a few days before returning to get all the unlockables I deliberately overlooked.

Just as excited to watch people Speed Run this, now I won't get any spoilers!

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by OrangeRakoon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 pm

deathofcows wrote:That was a great run, though I feel a little sick even watching it. Already getting pre-traumatic stress disorder from the idea of trying it.


I DID IT

Not quite the whole thing as it takes longer than 30 seconds! But the start is in that tweet of my previous attempt at least.



1135 deaths

2 hours 43 minutes

I think that's the hardest thing I've ever done in any game ever

User avatar
OldSoulCyborg
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Celeste - Out now on consoles and PC - A game for fans of tricksy, clever platformers - Reviewed v well
by OldSoulCyborg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:I DID IT

Not quite the whole thing as it takes longer than 30 seconds! But the start is in that tweet of my previous attempt at least.



1135 deaths

2 hours 43 minutes

I think that's the hardest thing I've ever done in any game ever


Congratulations! Now do Core. :twisted:

I actually decided to have a go at the rest of the C-sides myself after seeing you post about it earlier, wanted to see how much more difficult they got.

That part in your video 4 seconds in, the second cloud? I thought the spring was too high up to reach normally so I kept doing dash-jumps to get some distance and height. Very hit and miss (but mostly miss) strategy. Didn't even attempt to do it like you did until I took a break and watched the first part of your video. Felt really stupid... but then I noticed at 6 seconds you go under the spikes and do a boosted walljump to get to the green gem instead of just dashing over the spikes. That made me feel a little less stupid. ;)

Just now finished Core. Not quite as difficult, but felt just as good to complete.

Here's a video of that:
Only the ending because there's only 30 seconds. I pause at the final corridor even though I know what to do, just had to mentally prepare myself first. After exiting the corridors it looks like it's smooth sailing, but internally I'm panicking because I'm not sure what comes next and I don't notice picking up the green gem. I press dash in panic/out of habit more than anything else.


Anyway, here are some other things I've recorded or screenshotted.
Got tired of doing this part of the Mirror Temple C-side the intended way:
---
Thing related to something spoilery, but no actual spoiler in the video:
---
Screens of my progress so far (completion, chapter times, deaths, etc. spoilers!):



Flickr
Wii U: StainyGrimes

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Errkal, Rubix and 35 guests