Page 21 of 24

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:10 am
by Lagamorph
Wonder why they can't reveal the grounds for the appeal.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:12 am
by Coreopsis
Lagamorph wrote:Wonder why they can't reveal the grounds for the appeal.

I'm assuming they don't want to influence the re-trial in any way.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:12 am
by Poser
Yes, topic title should now be 'alleged rapist' again, while he awaits retrial.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 am
by Preezy
Poser wrote:Yes, topic title should now be 'alleged rapist' again, while he awaits retrial.

Isn't he still currently a convicted rapist? Until the re-trial concludes surely he's not suddenly innocent again?

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am
by Photek
Preezy wrote:
Poser wrote:Yes, topic title should now be 'alleged rapist' again, while he awaits retrial.

Isn't he still currently a convicted rapist? Until the re-trial concludes surely he's not suddenly innocent again?

I think that his conviction is abolished until the re-trial.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:21 am
by Moggy
Preezy wrote:
Poser wrote:Yes, topic title should now be 'alleged rapist' again, while he awaits retrial.

Isn't he still currently a convicted rapist? Until the re-trial concludes surely he's not suddenly innocent again?


The conviction has been quashed and a retrial ordered. He is therefore innocent, at least until the outcome of the retrial.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:24 am
by Preezy
Ah I see, shows what I know. Cheers

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:47 am
by Eighthours
It's an acquittal but not a verdict of innocence. I hate to be an armchair judge, but I'm surprised at the result so am very intrigued about what the new evidence is. I assume it's something more than, 'She's a bit slaggy.' Roll on the re-trial, and let's despairingly hope that neither advocacy group starts shouting over the Internet before we have a new verdict.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:49 am
by Moggy
Eighthours wrote:It's an acquittal but not a verdict of innocence.


It might not be a declaration of innocence, but he has had his conviction quashed and so (legally) is innocent until proven guilty at a retrial.

I doubt GRcade is going to be sued over a thread title, but at the moment it is libellous.

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am
by captain red dog
Eighthours wrote:It's an acquittal but not a verdict of innocence. I hate to be an armchair judge, but I'm surprised at the result so am very intrigued about what the new evidence is. I assume it's something more than, 'She's a bit slaggy.' Roll on the re-trial!

Definitely an interesting case to follow. Like you say, this new evidence will be very interesting. The initial evidence that was published seemed to be a bit weak to my untrained mind, but I can at least see how a jury would have made their decision. What would happen in the event that the woman at the centre of the case decided not to go through another trial? Could the crown proceed without her?

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am
by Poser
Eighthours wrote:Roll on the re-trial, and let's despairingly hope that neither advocacy group starts shouting over the Internet before we have a new verdict.


Might be a bit late for that. I made the mistake of looking at Twitter earlier. I saw someone asking Jess Ennis when she was going to apologise :lol:

Re: Ched Evans, rapist - should he play football again?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:22 pm
by TigaSefi
Poser wrote:
Eighthours wrote:Roll on the re-trial, and let's despairingly hope that neither advocacy group starts shouting over the Internet before we have a new verdict.


Might be a bit late for that. I made the mistake of looking at Twitter earlier. I saw someone asking Jess Ennis when she was going to apologise :lol:


Ah the Jessica Ennis-Hill stand :lol:

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:53 pm
by Drumstick
Word is that he's signed a contract to play for Chesterfield next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36575406

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:48 pm
by Lagamorph
Re-trial finds Ched Evans Not Guilty of Rape

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:52 pm
by Return_of_the_STAR
Lagamorph wrote:Re-trial finds Ched Evans Not Guilty of Rape


I knew it. I called this one when i read up on it years ago. It's a very interesting situation. He comes across like a twat but ultimately there's too much uncertainty to convict him.

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:11 pm
by Ironhide
I think the lesson to be learned here is don't have drunken one night stands.

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:15 pm
by Return_of_the_STAR
Ironhide wrote:I think the lesson to be learned here is don't have drunken one night stands.


Indeed i do worry about my kid growing up. Two adults both get drunk, have sex, the next day one resents it, then the other is accused of rape or sexual assault. Obviously this is being simplistic. There are real situations where people take advantage of anothers drunkenness.

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:25 pm
by Photek
I think I'm deserved an apology from certain forumites. I endured a torrid time/bullying for suggesting he may not be guilty.

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:32 pm
by Dig Dug
Well the people of Rhyl can sleep soundly tonight now that we don't have this looming over us anymore.

Re: Ched Evans - should he play football again?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:32 pm
by Memento Mori
Ironhide wrote:I think the lesson to be learned here is don't have drunken one night stands.


I think the lesson to be learned here is don't go into a hotel room where your friend is having sex with a drunk woman and then start having sex with the drunk woman and then flee from the scene.