Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostChernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Hello! I am about to make those of you who remember my original Chernobyl thread feel old as gooseberry fool. This day 10 years ago was the beginning of my Chernobyl adventure. Ive uploaded the entire archive of photos to Google Drive (500MB of the bastards here: http://bit.do/exwwb ), this is every photo taken, so lots of stuff i didn't post because back in 2008, uploading a whopping 2MB photo was unheard of, so i had to resize every single photo before uploading them, which took time, effort, and i was still half asleep while doing it as i had barely slept all weekend so things got sloppy. There's even the raw movie files i recorded too which were then used to make this video (using Windows Movie Maker, no less!!)



Things got off to a not flying start as:

> My 6:30am flight direct to Kiev was cancelled and rescheduled for 10am
> My 10am Flight to Kiev was cancelled and rescheduled for 6pm
> My direct flight to Kiev was rerouted to Frankfurt
> My Flight from Frankfurt to Kiev was delayed by 2 hours
> I finally arrived in Kiev at 2am
> Arrived at a Hotel that was best described as "50's Communist chic" at 4am
> Tour starts at 8am

Ill upload a few full resolution, (up to a whopping 2.5MB!!) and possibly UNSEEN photos here!

So yeah i was dead on my feet by the time i got on the bus from Kiev to Chernobyl. We drove for about 2 hours or so from Kiev through some fairly rough looking spots til we stopped at this place to pick up our Tour guide. The mornign was dull, grey, and foggy. I was convinced we werent going to see gooseberry fool the entire day, but by the time we got to Kopachy the sun came out blazing hot.

I found a *radioactive Cat at the waystation we stopped at before heading for Kopachy village (*probably not radioactive)

Image

This place was really out of the way. Like, "i've just stepped into the past and now im trapped in 50's Communist Ukraine" out of the way.

Image

Image

My rudimentary knowledge of cyrillic that i picked up from playing Stalker means i can at least identify the word "Vodka" in this image. Funnily enough, the Russian for Vodka is pronounced like "Voda", or Water, same as the Irish word for water is Uisce (pronounced ish-ka), which sounds incredibly like Whiskey. Just thought id throw that fact in for you guys.

Image

The road sign for Kopachy. That's the village that was basically bulldozed and buried after the accident as it was deemed too radioactive.

Image

And the village itself. Its underneath all this shrubbery somewhere..

Image

Our first view of Chernobyl NPP. Reactor 4 (i think?) was the one that blew up, its the leftmost tower in this shot.

Image

Our Geiger counter reading from this spot. Is this good? Bad? Who knows!!

Image

And another, better view of the reactor & sarcophagus

Image

Lookit ALL DAT FISH. Seriously you could just go hand fishing in this river. Fish didn't give a strawberry float.

Image

There was a memorial nearby and this statue of Prometheus (nothing to do with the movie) was there

Image

More Geiger Counter readings. Im guessing this is probably "not great" tier of radiation.

Image

If i remember rightly i took this over the side of the "Bridge of Death". This bridge:

Image

Image

The view of the reactor from the Bridge

Image

Image

Scenic Balcony views from the Pripyat Hotel

Image

Hotel hallway. Could use some light dusting.

Image

Image

A couple of rooftop views i don't think i uploaded the first time around

Image

Still probably my favourite photo from the day, despite its blurriness. I just remember being so strawberry floating excited as everything had lined up perfectly, this was on the stage in the Palace of Culture, and what happened was the sun came out just long enough to cast a beam of light through a hole in the ceiling, and cast right across the stage like a spotlight. I'll never got a more prefect photo opportunity if i live to be 100.

Image

If i remember rightly, this was all unused stuff fro the Mayday parade '86. But the accident happened in April, so it sat unused forever.

Image

I think Lenin said it best when he said "y4ntbcr, y4ntbcr, y4ntbcr"

Image

Getting Warmer! This is at the amusement park bumper cars.

Image

Image

Least amusing amusement park. EVER.

Image

Image

Some NEVER SEEN BEFORE shots of the Pripyat Eye.

Image

And an EXCLUSIVE NEW PHOTO of the Pripyat Hotel, from outside the Palace of Culture

Image

Inside the Swimming Pool area

Image

And a completely trashed library in the School

Image

Overall, im quite happy with how well the quality of the photos holds up 10 years later. Sure, my phone now has a better camera than the digital camera i took with me that weekend, but the photos are pretty decent quality considering. I sincerely hope you all feel as old now as i did when posting this. And thanks to everyone who convinced me to follow through on my original "should i go to Chernobyl?" post in TCRT back in 08!

See you all in another 10 years time when i repost this on the futuristic version of GRcade that beams directly into your brain via the matrix

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Brer living off past glories again. :roll:

Seriously though that thread is legendary. Can't believe it was ten years ago though. I'll have a poke around it later on I think.

Good job Brer. :D

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Brer living off past glories again. :roll:

Seriously though that thread is legendary. Can't believe it was ten years ago though. I'll have a poke around it later on I think.

Good job Brer. :D


If you only have one glory its all you can live off :(

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by OrangeRKN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:05 pm

In those 10 years what super powers have you developed as a result of your radiation exposure

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:06 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:In those 10 years what super powers have you developed as a result of your radiation exposure


Spontaneous ejaculation

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I thought this was going to be an announcement for a new forum game. Brer was going to fly us all to Ukraine just to force us to fight to death in a nuclear wasteland. :cry:

I can’t believe it has been 10 years since you did that trip. Do you think you’d ever go back?

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Moggy wrote:I thought this was going to be an announcement for a new forum game. Brer was going to fly us all to Ukraine just to force us to fight to death in a nuclear wasteland. :cry:

I can’t believe it has been 10 years since you did that trip. Do you think you’d ever go back?


Look if you guys want to kickstart it, ill organize GRDeathmatch: Chernobyl edition :lol:

Id love to go back! There was so much i didnt get to see like the Vehicle graveyard and stuff.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Qikz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Thank you for reminding me of your trip, I remember spending ages watching Pripyat documentaries after reading your thread the first time <3

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Qikz wrote:Thank you for reminding me of your trip, I remember spending ages watching Pripyat documentaries after reading your thread the first time <3


Youre welcome my dude :D

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Vermilion » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Cheers for sharing these again for us newer folks, must have been one hell of an experience.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Pedz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I thought this thread was going to Brer returning after 10 years, to show if there were any changes or something.

Awesome pics though, dude. I remember the thread like it was 10 years ago.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Pedz wrote:I thought this thread was going to Brer returning after 10 years, to show if there were any changes or something.

Awesome pics though, dude. I remember the thread like it was 10 years ago.


Again, if you guys want to kickstart it or set up a gofundme, im all in :lol:

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Pedz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Pedz wrote:I thought this thread was going to Brer returning after 10 years, to show if there were any changes or something.

Awesome pics though, dude. I remember the thread like it was 10 years ago.


Again, if you guys want to kickstart it or set up a gofundme, im all in :lol:


I'll give you £25 to start. How much will everyone else need to chip in?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by jawafour » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Incredible stuff, Brer! I'd never seen this before... you can actually walk around the place and explore it?!?!? Amazing!

Brerlappin wrote:...Our Geiger counter reading from this spot. Is this good? Bad? Who knows!!...

:shock: . No place for dull risk management when Brer goes on an adventure :datass: .

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Pedz wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Pedz wrote:I thought this thread was going to Brer returning after 10 years, to show if there were any changes or something.

Awesome pics though, dude. I remember the thread like it was 10 years ago.


Again, if you guys want to kickstart it or set up a gofundme, im all in :lol:


I'll give you £25 to start. How much will everyone else need to chip in?


25 from everyone on the forum should do it.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chernobyl Thread - 10th Anniversary Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm

jawafour wrote:Incredible stuff, Brer! I'd never seen this before... you can actually walk around the place and explore it?!?!? Amazing!

Brerlappin wrote:...Our Geiger counter reading from this spot. Is this good? Bad? Who knows!!...

:shock: . No place for dull risk management when Brer goes on an adventure :datass: .


Well you cant just wander in yourself and stroll around, as its protected by guards and checkpoints and stuff. But tours can go in, and looters have over time broken in and stolen stuff


Return to “Stuff”