Chris Cornell has died

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by rinks » Thu May 18, 2017 2:33 pm

BBC reporting that it's being investigated as possible suicide.

This is the death of intelligence
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by The Watching Artist » Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Never really quite managed to get into Soundgarden but love me some Audioslave :wub:

:(

Image
User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Irene Demova » Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Jazzem wrote:Ah man, listened to Audioslave quite a lot as a late teen. RIP :(

Yeah I'm the same, I haven't listened to anything of Cornell's since I was about 15 but I listened the gooseberry fool out of it when I was that age. It's sad whether it's suicide or not.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: rich_brad29

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Rex Kramer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm

rinks wrote:The Marks Lanegan and Arm are still with us.

Listening to Superunknown then automatically lead me to Sweet Oblivion by Screaming Trees, damn that album is strawberry floating amazing.

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Knoyleo » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

rinks wrote:BBC reporting that it's being investigated as possible suicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... CMP=twt_gu
Cornell was found dead in the bathroom of his room at the MGM Grand Detroit hotel, after Cornell’s wife asked a family friend to check up on him.

This sounds absolutely tragic. I can't imagine what those close to him must be going through, given that he was on stage just hours before. They must have known something was up, only to have their worst fears confirmed.

User avatar
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Goodbye Mr Bond

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Fuzzy Dunlop » Thu May 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Such sad news :(

Was never a massive fan of theirs but dude was super talented. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Currently listening to Outshined :wub:

Do you often contemplate the complexity of life?
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Ironhide » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 pm

strawberry floating hell, I'm genuinely shocked by this.

RIP Chris :cry:

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Ironhide » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Is it too soon for puns?


Ban request for anyone who does.

Seriously.

Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Denster » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Terrible shame that. Any info on how? 52 is no strawberry floating age at all.

Moggy wrote:For £350m I'd join the Tory Party. :lol:
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Corazon de Leon » Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Denster wrote:Terrible shame that. Any info on how? 52 is no strawberry floating age at all.


It's being investigated as a suicide, nothing else has been released at the moment.

Image Image
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by bear » Thu May 18, 2017 4:14 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Is it too soon for puns?


No, but you'll need to be sure it's absolutely hilarious if you try one.


I was never a huge Soundgarden fan, always something I respected more than enjoyed for some reason but I loved the first Audioslave album.

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Floex » Thu May 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Man, such a shocker. One of voices of my youth.

Just listening to some stuff now, such a voice.



Always a favourite of mine being one of the first I came across of theirs :wub:

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Dowbocop » Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Eighthours wrote:I'm going to stick 'You Know My Name' on repeat. The best Bond theme.

100% this. Not listened to much of his other stuff (rectifying ASAP) but I absolutely loved his Bond theme. RIP.

Photek wrote:Possibly, I never got into ROCK music, I was more of a Dance guy back then, Prodigy, Chem Bros, Propeller heads that sorta thing.
Still love Prodigy and Chems. :wub:

OH, and my namesake of course. :wub:

I never get people who "don't like rock music" but listen to the Prodigy. Similar example, my sister and her husband hate Metallica but quite happily put on a drum and bass tune that sampled Orion. Most people in that dance bracket would love rock music if they gave it a proper chance.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by KK » Thu May 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Knoyleo wrote:This sounds absolutely tragic. I can't imagine what those close to him must be going through, given that he was on stage just hours before.

I think that would be the most, I dunno mind blowing seems like the wrong turn of phrase, but how you can be performing one minute, convincing everyone presumably that everything is great, and yet within hours you've opted to take your own life. Suicide seems to be something that is getting worse in society.

Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Photek wrote:Possibly, I never got into ROCK music, I was more of a Dance guy back then, Prodigy, Chem Bros, Propeller heads that sorta thing.
Still love Prodigy and Chems. :wub:

OH, and my namesake of course. :wub:

I never get people who "don't like rock music" but listen to the Prodigy. Similar example, my sister and her husband hate Metallica but quite happily put on a drum and bass tune that sampled Orion. Most people in that dance bracket would love rock music if they gave it a proper chance.


I've been championing the similarities between rock music and dance music for years now but nobody seems to see (or rather hear) it but me. They are both generally fast, aggressive forms of music driven largely by heavy drums and bass lines. The fact that you have an act like Pendulum covering Master of Puppets and various dance acts incorporating live guitars and drums into their gigs surely supports this idea.

Image
User avatar
Rapidly-Greying
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Kelty, scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Rapidly-Greying » Thu May 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
rinks wrote:The Marks Lanegan and Arm are still with us.

Listening to Superunknown then automatically lead me to Sweet Oblivion by Screaming Trees, damn that album is strawberry floating amazing.


Check out Dust too, the first 8 songs are among their best.

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games
User avatar
Rapidly-Greying
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Kelty, scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Rapidly-Greying » Thu May 18, 2017 5:11 pm

KK wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:This sounds absolutely tragic. I can't imagine what those close to him must be going through, given that he was on stage just hours before.

I think that would be the most, I dunno mind blowing seems like the wrong turn of phrase, but how you can be performing one minute, convincing everyone presumably that everything is great, and yet within hours you've opted to take your own life. Suicide seems to be something that is getting worse in society.


It is mind blowing if you're a proper fan that follows him and has genuine interest in his life. The guy seemed to be happy, he had a big tour planned with Soundgarden with whom he was recording material with, and by all accounts he was seemingly healthy.

So yeah, my mind is severely strawberry floating blown.


And to the guy with the pun, save it for a few strawberry floating days eh, would you appreciate jokes about someone you considered a hero?

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu May 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Rapidly-Greying wrote:And to the guy with the pun, save it for a few strawberry floating days eh, would you appreciate jokes about someone you considered a hero?


That's why I asked first, I got the feeling it wouldn't be cool but thought I'd test the water. But for the record unless I knew the deceased personally I wouldn't mind someone cracking wise about someone I looked up to.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Green Gecko » Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm

If it is a suicide, I suspect it's a very deep seated depression / disillusionment that nobody knew about, maybe about getting older and not being able to succeed on his past (whether that's true or not it's a fear I can understand as I have similar feelings about life moving on faster than I am). Twice the age of the 27 club, etc. Although it seems wrong to speculate at this point; there will be a lot of armchair psychology going on.

Edit: And I just realised I held out longer than that club, turned 28 the other month, go me. :lol:

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
"just put the button line about the message components div" - Official Errkal Sponsor 2017
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Chris Cornell has died
by Brerlappin » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
Photek wrote:Possibly, I never got into ROCK music, I was more of a Dance guy back then, Prodigy, Chem Bros, Propeller heads that sorta thing.
Still love Prodigy and Chems. :wub:

OH, and my namesake of course. :wub:

I never get people who "don't like rock music" but listen to the Prodigy. Similar example, my sister and her husband hate Metallica but quite happily put on a drum and bass tune that sampled Orion. Most people in that dance bracket would love rock music if they gave it a proper chance.


I've been championing the similarities between rock music and dance music for years now but nobody seems to see (or rather hear) it but me. They are both generally fast, aggressive forms of music driven largely by heavy drums and bass lines. The fact that you have an act like Pendulum covering Master of Puppets and various dance acts incorporating live guitars and drums into their gigs surely supports this idea.


I never understood just listening to one genre. Back in 96 when I got Down on the Upside, that summer I was also loving Jilted Generation and Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg.
I was at the gym last night pumping some French techno by Danger and now listening to one of my favorite alt rock albums of all time, source tags and code by Trail of Dead. There's so much amazing music in the world, limiting yourself to being "just into dance music" seems crazy to me.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Errkal, Google [Bot], Rhubarb and 56 guests