Space!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by False » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Do you have any sources for that information?

Image
User avatar
Dblock
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery
Contact:

PostRe: Space
by Dblock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Starjo wrote:Well, it's no 'miraclesofthequran.com' but I'd reckon I'd probably believe it when it tells me that the ancient greeks predated the Quran.


Your strawberry floating source is Wikipedia. The Quran has not been modified and it has been over 1,400.

COme on the strawberry float up man! stop this childish back tracking.

You think highly respected journos, professors etc are all wrong and didn't knew about this before claiming it was the Quran that came up with the Source?

Go away Skarjo

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Skarjo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Dblock wrote:
Starjo wrote:Well, it's no 'miraclesofthequran.com' but I'd reckon I'd probably believe it when it tells me that the ancient greeks predated the Quran.


Your strawberry floating source is Wikipedia. The Quran has not been modified and it has been over 1,400.

COme on the strawberry float up man! stop this childish back tracking.

You think highly respected journos, professors etc are all wrong and didn't knew about this before claiming it was the Quran that came up with the Source?

Go away Skarjo


What are you actually talking about?

Are you denying that that ancient Greeks both predated Islam and figured out the circumference of the Earth?

I mean, I get that you're passionate about your religion and that's great. But there's a difference between taking the stance that you choose to to believe in Allah because you don't think the universe could just happen and then actively denying the existence of entire societies that we have extensive recorded history of just because you want to believe your book is magic.

That is literally insane.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Moggy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Dblock wrote:
Starjo wrote:Well, it's no 'miraclesofthequran.com' but I'd reckon I'd probably believe it when it tells me that the ancient greeks predated the Quran.


Your strawberry floating source is Wikipedia. The Quran has not been modified and it has been over 1,400.

COme on the strawberry float up man! stop this childish back tracking.

You think highly respected journos, professors etc are all wrong and didn't knew about this before claiming it was the Quran that came up with the Source?

Go away Skarjo


The Quran is not modified? You do know that Mohammad was illiterate? That it was written by followers who “remembered” what he said? And that’s before we even get into the whole Satanic Verses stuff….

As you don’t believe in using Wikipedia, maybe these sources will tell you more about Eratosthenes.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Space
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Dblock, if you're so keen to have us believe Islam invented science, or some crazy gooseberry fool like that, why don't you offer up some evidence that backs you up?

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Dblock
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery
Contact:

PostRe: Space
by Dblock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Dblock, if you're so keen to have us believe Islam invented science, or some crazy gooseberry fool like that, why don't you offer up some evidence that backs you up?


Go play with fat chicks .

The Quran itself is a source but you too lazy to read.

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Moggy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Dblock wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Dblock, if you're so keen to have us believe Islam invented science, or some crazy gooseberry fool like that, why don't you offer up some evidence that backs you up?


Go play with fat chicks .

The Quran itself is a source but you too lazy to read.


Educate us then with some Quran verses that back up what you are saying.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Skarjo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Dblock wrote:The Quran itself is a source but you too lazy to read.


Serious question; why should I believe what I read in the Quran?

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by False » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Because it was written by a prophet.

(written by what people remembered some guy saying one time)

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Space
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 pm

"Oh, you don't agree with me? You want me to back up my assertions? lol have insults instead"

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
SillySprout
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

PostRe: Space
by SillySprout » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Dblock wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Dblock, if you're so keen to have us believe Islam invented science, or some crazy gooseberry fool like that, why don't you offer up some evidence that backs you up?


Go play with fat chicks .

The Quran itself is a source but you too lazy to read.


Hello!! I'm not too lazy to read. Perhaps you could read the quotations I have selected below and explain your understanding of these words?

It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float in an orbit.

Do you believe that the sun and moon orbit the earth in the way described here?

By the Sun and his (glorious) splendour; By the Moon as she follows him;

Do you really believe that the sun follows the moon in orbit?

It is God who made for you the earth a fixed place and heaven for an edifice; And He shaped you, and shaped you well, and provided you with the good things. That then is God, your Lord, so blessed be God, the Lord of all Being.


Do you believe that the earth is a fixed place?

Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.


Do you believe that there is a "setting-place" of the sun?

And verily We have beautified the world's heaven with stars/lamps, and We have made them missiles for the devils, and for them We have prepared the doom of flame.


Do you honestly believe that the stars are missiles created by god to attack devils?

And hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp?


Do you believe that the moon gives light?

Narrated Anas: "That the Meccan people requested Allah's Apostle to show them a miracle, and so he showed them the splitting of the moon."


Do you believe this happened?

Allah is He who created 7 heavens one above the other like a dome, and of the Earths, the like thereof, 7 planets but they are flat


Please explain in scientific terms what these 7 heavens are. Can you explain the 7 flat planets as anything other than inaccurate, and written by an uninformed man?

Seest thou not that Allah makes the clouds move gently, then joins them together, then makes them into a heap? - then wilt thou see rain issue forth from their midst. And He sends down from the sky mountain masses (of clouds) wherein is hail. He strikes therewith whom He pleases and He turns it away from whom He pleases, the vivid flash of His lightning well-nigh blinds the sight.


Do you believe that rain forms in the way described here?

Do they not look at the birds, held poised in the midst of (the air and) the sky? Nothing holds them up but (the power of) Allah. Verily in this are signs for those who believe


Do you believe that Allah holds the birds up in the sky? I believe in aerodynamics.

O ye assembly of Jinns and men! If it be ye can pass beyond the zones of the heavens and the earth, pass ye! not without authority shall ye be able to pass!


When did Allah give this authority?

Source - http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Er ... of_the_Sun

Back on topic, NASA's Mars Rover has uncovered evidence that Mars likely held lakes suitable for life in it's past.

http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/58 ... ained-life

For those of us who do not believe that the earth is the central, fixed point in the universe created by an almighty being, this is exciting news, an indicator that Earth might not be unique in it's ability to sustain life.

The only member named after an outrageous vegetable!
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by False » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:40 pm

SillySprout wrote:Owned

Image
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Buffalo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:51 pm

That is the most accomplished slice of ownage I have ever seen.

Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Parksey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh my.

Sprout, do you have any.physical flaws or personality quirks that Dblock knows about so he level them at you instead?

He mentions stuff like "loads of highly respected journos and scientists" then doesn't mention or cite them.

Yet dismisses Wikipedia which, while not always bulletproof does require a certain amount of accuracy.

It's pointless arguing guys. He gets by on the fact that "no-one has read the Quran" while he clearly hasn't read anything that doesn't support his own viewpoint.

His views on everything only adhere to one stance, and nothing will shift him from that.

User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Space
by smurphy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Now that Dblock has been dealt with, can we please, please, just completely ignore him? At least in this thread. He can derail all the gooseberry fool he wants, but not a space thread. That's too far.

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Parksey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Yes, let's reserve this thread for marvelling at everything up there our almighty George gave us.

User avatar
SillySprout
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

PostRe: Space
by SillySprout » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 am

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... z2nJTmAKkv
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 909851.htm?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

Water Geysers erupt on Europa.
Image
(Artists Impression)Which appears to have been made in Paint.

Near-Earth asteroid a 'rubbish pile of rock'
Image
(Actual photograph taken from 770 meters)

Alvin Flummux wrote:
SillySprout wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Pontius Pilate wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to terraform Venus? It's closer, it's in the "habital zone" of the solar system, it has it's own atmosphere. It's just really strawberry floating hot and poisonous. But surely it's easier to change an atmosphere than create one from scratch?


Interesting idea, one other thing it's atmosphere is 90 times the pressure of earth.


Titan excites me more than anything else in our solar system. It will be interesting to see how life has evolved there without the influence of land mammals.


If, you know, it has any life.

And what of Europa, and Enceladus? Are not both of those just as exciting as Titan?


Um yes, Europa is what I actually meant, got into a bit of the muddle there! :oops:

But yes!! Europa is more exciting, what do you think of the story above? The reason I am so confident of life on Europa (not Titan) is that it is completely covered in water and ice. Whilst it's conditions for life are not as ideal as our blessed earth, I feel quite confident that we will find basic forms of life there as Earth has shown that life will always find a way to survive, even in the darkest unlikeliest depths of the oceans. Although imagine how crazy the world would get if when we finally land there in about ten years time, this is what we discover...


Image

Last edited by SillySprout on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only member named after an outrageous vegetable!
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Space
by Alvin Flummux » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:46 am

It'll be bacteria and nothing more, but I'd love to see some alien equivalent to Earth's early complex sea life.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
SillySprout
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

PostRe: Space
by SillySprout » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:It'll be bacteria and nothing more, but I'd love to see some alien equivalent to Earth's early complex sea life.


I would just love to see a discovery of life outside our own, in any form. A discovery, even of basic bacteria like you say, would give us so much insight into the building blocks of life. It would surely rank as a landmark achievement for the human race.

The only member named after an outrageous vegetable!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Space
by Moggy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 am

SillySprout wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:It'll be bacteria and nothing more, but I'd love to see some alien equivalent to Earth's early complex sea life.


I would just love to see a discovery of life outside our own, in any form. A discovery, even of basic bacteria like you say, would give us so much insight into the building blocks of life. It would surely rank as a landmark achievement for the human race.


If we find life (even bacteria) on Mars or Europa or wherever, it would be amazing. If life can start in two separate places just in this solar system, then it must be everywhere. And just think what that would mean.

3 boobed green alien chicks. :datass:


Return to “Stuff”