Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Reviews are in

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by NickSCFC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Metacritic 77

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... omb-raider

I think I'll leave this one

Last edited by NickSCFC on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Polygon Recommended

IGN 9.0

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by NickSCFC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Review scores are all over the place, Metacritic 82 indicates it's the weakest of the trilogy

4/10

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/revi ... startling/


6/10

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/ ... lara-croft


Damn

Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 pm

That's €40 saved, as I said I'll get it when its on Gamepass, next up Forza Horizon 4, I think that'll do ok in reviews.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by NickSCFC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Photek wrote:That's €40 saved, as I said I'll get it when its on Gamepass, next up Forza Horizon 4, I think that'll do ok in reviews.


Such a shame, I've watched loads of videos and it looked so much better than the previous two, seems like the issues are again with this new annoying Lara character and the latter stages.

Think Spiderman and Red Dead Redemption 2 will be enough to see me through the winter.

Edit: strawberry float this looks bad

Image

:fp:

Last edited by NickSCFC on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Mafro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm

You two :wub:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Is this one gonna have the 1080p 60fps option as Rise did on the PS4 Pro?

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Monkey Man » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm


Image
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Kirk McKeand over at VG247 made me laugh out loud with his (mostly negative) review:

...there’s so much here that pulls you out [of the game].I have a hard hat buried in my bag of artefacts, and I bought an automatic shotgun from a Christian missionary. The uzi in my holster was purchased from an indigenous Peruvian tribeswoman who has never had contact with the outside world.


https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/10/shadow ... er-review/

Also, insta-fail underwater stealth sections?

strawberry float off.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Brerlappin wrote:I dont know how CD seem to keep getting this wrong.


(This isn't CD, it's Eidos Montreal)

But I agree. It seems this time they wanted to say something about the white saviour complex, and the consequences of simply pilfering cultural heirlooms...but ending up making a game about a posh girl with a white saviour complex pilfering cultural heirlooms. Oh, and they threw in a load of cultural appropriation too.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Having read several reviews the general consensus is, if you liked 1 & 2 you'll love this. It has less shooting than Rise which is a good thing. Still not getting it though.

Last edited by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:But I agree. It seems this time they wanted to say something about the white saviour complex, and the consequences of simply pilfering cultural heirlooms...but ending up making a game about a posh girl with a white saviour complex pilfering cultural heirlooms. Oh, and they threw in a load of cultural appropriation too.

Image

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Mafro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:I dont know how CD seem to keep getting this wrong.


(This isn't CD, it's Eidos Montreal)

But I agree. It seems this time they wanted to say something about the white saviour complex, and the consequences of simply pilfering cultural heirlooms...but ending up making a game about a posh girl with a white saviour complex pilfering cultural heirlooms. Oh, and they threw in a load of cultural appropriation too.

Waypoint's review is a good read https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... olonialism

Photek wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:But I agree. It seems this time they wanted to say something about the white saviour complex, and the consequences of simply pilfering cultural heirlooms...but ending up making a game about a posh girl with a white saviour complex pilfering cultural heirlooms. Oh, and they threw in a load of cultural appropriation too.

Image

It's a perfectly valid complaint but I'm not surprised it's gone over your head.

Apparently this wasn't made by the same team that did the first game. Rumours that they moved on to the Avengers game that we've still seen nothing of.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Hexx » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Kirk McKeand over at VG247 made me laugh out loud with his (mostly negative) review:

...there’s so much here that pulls you out [of the game].I have a hard hat buried in my bag of artefacts, and I bought an automatic shotgun from a Christian missionary. The uzi in my holster was purchased from an indigenous Peruvian tribeswoman who has never had contact with the outside world.


https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/10/shadow ... er-review/

Also, insta-fail underwater stealth sections?

strawberry float off.


:dread:

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Photek wrote:Having read several reviews the general consensus is, if you liked 1 & 2 you'll love this


Read more reviews.

EDIT 2:



:slol:

Last edited by Rudolphin on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Mafro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Nick constantly editing his post to update the metacritic score :lol:

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Christmas.Past
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Christmas.Past » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Some disappointing reviews alright. I'll be buying the game anyway as I have thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of games and I'm sure they'll be plenty to enjoy in this too.

It's a shame that it doesn't seem at this stage to have 'knocked it out of the park', though; I was hoping for a bit of a classic to be honest.

I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him....All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by jawafour » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:18 pm

I've only skipped through a few reviews and it seems that the storyline is a bit lacklustre... but I favour the apparent increase in explorative gameplay over fighting sequences. This isn't a game that I'd pay launch prices for, but I would look out for it in a sale.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

"Contrary" John Walker from RPS...really liked it. Living up to that name:

This is an enormous shame, because as problematic as much of the story undeniably is, and as dumb as so much of the game certainly is, I’ve been enjoying my time with Shadow. The best test of this is how much I’ve found myself wanting to get back to it in between playing. It’s a great balance between the icon-ticking compulsion of a top tier Ubisoft game, with the puzzling chops from a team that have suddenly remembered they were the best in the business. It’s huge and detailed and stupid and probably most of all, fun.


https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... er-review/

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hans Bubby
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Hans Bubby » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Mafro wrote:Nick constantly editing his post to update the metacritic score :lol:


Nick is like the anti-Jawa, in that he seems to thrive on negativity and probably gets some kind of shuddering orgasm any time a big non-sony exclusive title gets less than 80 metacritic


Metacritic is his Pornhub :nod:

Image Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, Benzin, Jazzem, kerr9000, mysteriousdave, OldSoulCyborg, Peter Crisp, Rudolphin, Snowballday, Ste, The Doom Spoon, Trelliz and 54 guests