Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Reviews are in

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by jawafour » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:18 pm

I've only skipped through a few reviews and it seems that the storyline is a bit lacklustre... but I favour the apparent increase in explorative gameplay over fighting sequences. This isn't a game that I'd pay launch prices for, but I would look out for it in a sale.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

"Contrary" John Walker from RPS...really liked it. Living up to that name:

This is an enormous shame, because as problematic as much of the story undeniably is, and as dumb as so much of the game certainly is, I’ve been enjoying my time with Shadow. The best test of this is how much I’ve found myself wanting to get back to it in between playing. It’s a great balance between the icon-ticking compulsion of a top tier Ubisoft game, with the puzzling chops from a team that have suddenly remembered they were the best in the business. It’s huge and detailed and stupid and probably most of all, fun.


https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... er-review/

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hans Bubby
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Hans Bubby » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Mafro wrote:Nick constantly editing his post to update the metacritic score :lol:


Nick is like the anti-Jawa, in that he seems to thrive on negativity and probably gets some kind of shuddering orgasm any time a big non-sony exclusive title gets less than 80 metacritic


Metacritic is his Pornhub :nod:

Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by jawafour » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:49 pm

KjGarly wrote:Metacritic is his Pornhub :nod:

Ranking rather than wanking :datass: .

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by KK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Rachel Weber and Matthew Pellett used to review it for Official PlayStation Magazine/GamesMaster - would have been nice to have one of them review this one too.

Image
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by NickSCFC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Mafro wrote:Nick constantly editing his post to update the metacritic score :lol:


Nick is like the anti-Jawa, in that he seems to thrive on negativity and probably gets some kind of shuddering orgasm any time a big non-sony exclusive title gets less than 80 metacritic


Image

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm

KK wrote:Rachel Weber and Matthew Pellett used to review it for Official PlayStation Magazine/GamesMaster - would have been nice to have one of them review this one too.


Olivia White (formerly Raze on old GR) did the Telegraph review, and it's probably the best one out there.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Hime » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:40 pm

I really liked the first 2 but I'm happy to wait for this to go on sale.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by jawafour » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Olivia White (formerly Raze on old GR) did the Telegraph review, and it's probably the best one out there.

I can't read it because I'm not signed up to the Telegraph, Taf, but I can see that it has awarded the lowest ranking - by quite some distance - to the game out of 44 reviews. What was in it to make you suggest it is "the best one"?

JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by JediDragon05 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Think I’ll be waiting too. I haven’t forgot that they made me wait a year due to Microsoft & their “passion” juice to play “Rise”.

I’ll probably pick that up soon. Still asking a bit much much (£19.99) for a year old port. The facts :capnscotty:

Come fight death with me
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm

jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Olivia White (formerly Raze on old GR) did the Telegraph review, and it's probably the best one out there.

I can't read it because I'm not signed up to the Telegraph, Taf, but I can see that it has awarded the lowest ranking - by quite some distance - to the game out of 44 reviews. What was in it to make you suggest it is "the best one"?


Ak, that's really frustrating. For some reason I could see the whole review on first clicking it but now it's behind a paywall.

Anyway... it was just a really nicely written piece. It summed up the mechanics nicely and, unlike the Gamespot and IGN reviews, dove deeply into the plot problems as well. The Waypoint review does this too and raises many similarly excellent points, but as always with that site it's far too long and rambling.

EDIT: Seconded by another GR alum.


Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by KK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Relative to the era, I’d be geniuely stunned if this is as equivalently bad as Angel of Darkness. Thankfully that was getting universally panned in comparison.

I thought Tomb Raider 2013 was superb, one of few games of the modern era I enjoyed so much I played it through to completion twice (PS3 and 4). Seems this reboot has seen gradually diminishing returns though, Rise worse than TR, and now Shadow possibly worse than Rise.

Great bargains to be had on the previous games (low as £14) so bodes well for this one come Christmas, if not Thanksgiving.

3 of the big U.K. tech websites really like it though. Play it Now from Techradar, and 4/5 from T3 and Stuff.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Hime » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Olivia White (formerly Raze on old GR) did the Telegraph review, and it's probably the best one out there.

I can't read it because I'm not signed up to the Telegraph, Taf, but I can see that it has awarded the lowest ranking - by quite some distance - to the game out of 44 reviews. What was in it to make you suggest it is "the best one"?


Ak, that's really frustrating. For some reason I could see the whole review on first clicking it but now it's behind a paywall.

Anyway... it was just a really nicely written piece. It summed up the mechanics nicely and, unlike the Gamespot and IGN reviews, dove deeply into the plot problems as well. The Waypoint review does this too and raises many similarly excellent points, but as always with that site it's far too long and rambling.

EDIT: Seconded by another GR alum.


Add much as I like Chris that wouldn't put me off this game as it's about as it's on the opposite end of the spectrum to his tastes and judging by her other reviews the same could be said of Olivia. Not saying anything in the review is wrong, just that we obviously don't like the same things.

Image
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Sleighamorph » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 am


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:15 am

Image

User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Knoëleo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 am

NickSCFC wrote:Metacritic 77

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... omb-raider

I think I'll leave this one

Nick, it's 78 now, please update

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Dual » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:03 am

Lagamorph wrote:


Love this :lol:

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 am

Shame that this is getting poor/average reviews, doubt I will check it out now.

I thought 2013 was enjoyable enough once you put to bed any notion of it being like a traditional TR game, but despite picking Rise up cheaply at the start of this year I just can't seem to get any traction with it. The same problems that the first reboot had are still there and if anything it has become more of a slog to play so it's sat in my "abandoned" list at the moment and I can't see that changing.

If Shadow was getting universal praise I may have returned to the series but it looks like it's time to put this one to rest.

ImageImage
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by jawafour » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am

Jenuall wrote:Shame that this is getting poor/average reviews, doubt I will check it out now...

Remember, Jen, that the modern game review scale is being applied... a ranking of 78 is being assessed as meaning terrible, with the poorest reviews being put forward as the definitive viewpoint.

If the game style floats your boat, I reckon it's probably gonna be fun for you to play. Maybe not worth the £60 digital storefront price, but something to look out for when the price has reduced.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC, PS4, XB - Games has gone gold - New 4K gameplay on p5
by Rudolphin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am

Hime wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Olivia White (formerly Raze on old GR) did the Telegraph review, and it's probably the best one out there.

I can't read it because I'm not signed up to the Telegraph, Taf, but I can see that it has awarded the lowest ranking - by quite some distance - to the game out of 44 reviews. What was in it to make you suggest it is "the best one"?


Ak, that's really frustrating. For some reason I could see the whole review on first clicking it but now it's behind a paywall.

Anyway... it was just a really nicely written piece. It summed up the mechanics nicely and, unlike the Gamespot and IGN reviews, dove deeply into the plot problems as well. The Waypoint review does this too and raises many similarly excellent points, but as always with that site it's far too long and rambling.

EDIT: Seconded by another GR alum.


Add much as I like Chris that wouldn't put me off this game as it's about as it's on the opposite end of the spectrum to his tastes and judging by her other reviews the same could be said of Olivia. Not saying anything in the review is wrong, just that we obviously don't like the same things.


Olivia is one of my quality barometers on twitter...if she likes it, I probably will as well. Chris' tastes tend more towards Japanese releases, which I tend to bounce off of more often, but if he likes something it's likely there's some merit there.

I am finding this a shame, btw. I loved the first rebooted entry, was a bit disappointed by the second and genuinely thought this one was going to right the ship, given all the positive previews. Apparently not, however :(

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, chanticleer, Google [Bot], Krik Kringle, Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge, Rax, Seven, Trelliz, Wedgie and 50 guests