Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Errkal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Yeah some of it is odd, fire should be a trigger in my head not x

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by rinks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Ha, screw you, Cagney Carnation. Didn't want to call it a night until that one was buried. On to Isle Two tomorrow.

Anyone got any S ranks yet?

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Errkal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 am

Nope going to go for a refund that it's just not fun dieing constantly

User avatar
rudderless
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by rudderless » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am

rinks wrote:Ha, screw you, Cagney Carnation. Didn't want to call it a night until that one was buried. On to Isle Two tomorrow.

Anyone got any S ranks yet?


You can't get an S rank until you unlock Expert difficulty. Best you can do until then is A+, which is really easy to get on the first island.

EDIT: I found a useful mapping was to have LT to shoot, A to jump and X to dash, then the two are close together.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Saint of Killers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am


| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Squinty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 pm


User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Trelliz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Commentocracy is great; now whenever i read gooseberry fool like that it always plays in my head as duke amiel du Hardcore.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Garth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

This has sold over 1 million copies:
Hello friends! Cuphead has only been out for two weeks and we never could have dreamed of the reception we’ve received from our amazing fans! Today, we wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for your support and we’re excited to share that Cuphead has gone platinum with over 1 million units sold!

We have worked tirelessly over the past few years to deliver a game that remained true to our vision and we are both humbled and excited that so many people from around the world are playing Cuphead – it truly makes it all worth it.

From all of us at StudioMDHR, thanks again for your support!

http://studiomdhr.com/cuphead-goes-platinum/

Image

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Jazzem » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Well deserved, game is amazing :toot:

The feel good success story of the year

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Johnny Ryall » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Pleasantly surprised with this. I was expecting all style no substance. Yeah it's hard but if you take it one level at a time with breaks between (and remap the controls like everyone says) then it's pretty wonderful!

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Pedz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Remap the controls to what?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Johnny Ryall » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Whatever works for you. I have jump and shoot on a and x and everything else on bumpers and triggers

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Errkal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 am

Decided to rebut I don't want to be beaten on the first level....

After 20 minutes of repeated death and resisting launching the controller at the screen I can get to that bit of leevl 1 where you dash over the gap........

I'm gradually improving which keeps me going but strawberry float me it is annoying as hell!

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by rinks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Still plugging away at this, taking a few days off every now and then to keep calm. I love/hate the difficulty - it's what makes the game compelling for me.

I've just beaten the casino - a brilliant way to mix things up - and got an achievement notification saying that only 6% of players have got this far, so I think a LOT of people have given up.

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Monkey Man » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:05 pm



2m sold.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Death's Head » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Just started this and is it difficult! Finished the first island and other than the first boss (or contract or whatever), I beat them first time. The levels are a bitch though, especially the Tree one, took quite a few attempts to beat that. If the difficulty increases this may end up in my "abandoned" rather than "completed" section. I don't find the default controls a problem, sort of like old school platformer controls.

Do the people you talk to on the map do anything for you? Also, how do you get more coins to spend in the shop, only by completing the levels (not bosses)?

Also, can anyone tell me what "lock" is supposed to do? I hoped it meant it would lock on your targeting (particularly for bosses) but it seems to do nothing!

Yes?
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by rinks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Death's Head wrote:Just started this and is it difficult! Finished the first island and other than the first boss (or contract or whatever), I beat them first time. The levels are a bitch though, especially the Tree one, took quite a few attempts to beat that. If the difficulty increases this may end up in my "abandoned" rather than "completed" section. I don't find the default controls a problem, sort of like old school platformer controls.

Do the people you talk to on the map do anything for you? Also, how do you get more coins to spend in the shop, only by completing the levels (not bosses)?

Also, can anyone tell me what "lock" is supposed to do? I hoped it meant it would lock on your targeting (particularly for bosses) but it seems to do nothing!


Coins are mostly from the run & gun levels, but there are some hidden around the world maps too. And some of those do require you to talk to the characters.

As for lock, it stops your character running, so you can fire up/down/diagonally without moving. One of the weapons you can buy from the terrifying pig actually auto-targets, so you may want to try that out to see if it suits you. The compromise is that it's a bit underpowered.

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Death's Head » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

rinks wrote:One of the weapons you can buy from the terrifying pig actually auto-targets, so you may want to try that out to see if it suits you. The compromise is that it's a bit underpowered.


That has helped but this game is still strawberry floating frustrating rather than fun. I have one last run and gun level to complete on island 2 and must have tried it getting on for 30 times. I know what to do but pulling it all off each time is proving impossible. I'm only playing this because I want to get value for what I've paid for it, but I'm not having fun. Really wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, they need to patch in an easier difficulty setting, but then I suspect the game would be completed in a couple of hours rather than being able to artificially extend the game length through difficulty.

Yes?
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Trelliz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Death's Head wrote:
rinks wrote:One of the weapons you can buy from the terrifying pig actually auto-targets, so you may want to try that out to see if it suits you. The compromise is that it's a bit underpowered.


That has helped but this game is still strawberry floating frustrating rather than fun. I have one last run and gun level to complete on island 2 and must have tried it getting on for 30 times. I know what to do but pulling it all off each time is proving impossible. I'm only playing this because I want to get value for what I've paid for it, but I'm not having fun. Really wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, they need to patch in an easier difficulty setting, but then I suspect the game would be completed in a couple of hours rather than being able to artificially extend the game length through difficulty.


I've been tempted to make a thread about why people play games, what they get out of them in terms of mastering difficulty vs experiencing story etc., hoping to talk about things like this, however i doubt it would last long or go well. I love the look of cuphead but i know for a fact i would not see the vast majority of it and/or would not enjoy trying to; same with dark souls, megaman and most roguelikes, however good they may be.

I see nothing wrong with adding an easy mode regardless of how much it "cheapens" or shortens the experience - let people experience the game on their own terms and work up to the "real" experience if they want, or not if they don't rather than slamming the door in their face. Turn off achievements or whatever to preserve the "sanctity" of the core experience if needed too.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Cuphead | 1930's Cartoon Spectacular!
by Death's Head » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
rinks wrote:One of the weapons you can buy from the terrifying pig actually auto-targets, so you may want to try that out to see if it suits you. The compromise is that it's a bit underpowered.


That has helped but this game is still strawberry floating frustrating rather than fun. I have one last run and gun level to complete on island 2 and must have tried it getting on for 30 times. I know what to do but pulling it all off each time is proving impossible. I'm only playing this because I want to get value for what I've paid for it, but I'm not having fun. Really wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, they need to patch in an easier difficulty setting, but then I suspect the game would be completed in a couple of hours rather than being able to artificially extend the game length through difficulty.


I've been tempted to make a thread about why people play games, what they get out of them in terms of mastering difficulty vs experiencing story etc., hoping to talk about things like this, however i doubt it would last long or go well. I love the look of cuphead but i know for a fact i would not see the vast majority of it and/or would not enjoy trying to; same with dark souls, megaman and most roguelikes, however good they may be.

I see nothing wrong with adding an easy mode regardless of how much it "cheapens" or shortens the experience - let people experience the game on their own terms and work up to the "real" experience if they want, or not if they don't rather than slamming the door in their face. Turn off achievements or whatever to preserve the "sanctity" of the core experience if needed too.


Based on completing most of the first 2 islands (out of 3), I think that if there was an easy mode, we'd complete the game in just a couple of hours. If you look at the time spent to complete one level, it is usually just a few minutes. It is only when you factor in how many times you need to attempt the level that the play time is increased.

I agree that there should be an easy mode on all games to let each person enjoy them how they want. We have after all paid for the games so we should get to play through the whole thing, being forced to give up or grind to finish a game is a design error. I'm sure no one would enjoy watching a film and getting two thirds through to find it then switches to a language you don't understand and you are forced to go away and learn that language before you can finish the film.

Yes?

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gamerforever, Jazzem, KjGarly, Kriken, Manwell Pablo, mic, more heat than light, Peter Crisp, Rubix and 52 guests