Cycling

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Ad7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:09 pm

People are strawberry floating dicks when it comes to cyclists. I wear head to toe florescent clothing and still every strawberry floating day some clown be it on foot or in a car will walk in front of me, generally get in my way, act surprised when I'm right on them despite facing me for a while. On Thursday some woman nearly t boned me pulling out of a t junction. I could see it coming too so slowed right down and was saying over and over "don't do it DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT" and I could see her looking left and right, looking right at me and she STILL started pulling out just as I got there and then stopped half way out. I mean was she expecting me to strawberry floating stop for her or something?

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by <]:^D » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 pm

people are idiots. i notice it on my bike, on my motorbike, when i drive - it only takes one moron to cause an issue so drive/ride safe :dread:

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Cycling
by Blue Eyes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 pm

I was cycling on a narrow road with cars parked either side in the designated cycling part of the road when this strawberry floating oncoming idiot in his car decided to veer towards me. He then beeped his horn at me as though it was my fault. I hope he died in a terrible accident afterwards.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Ad7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 pm

I just did a 18min 57sec return home, im so strawberry floating chuffed, its my first sub 19 minute run. Absolutely shattered but I really went for it and all the traffic at junctions were on my side for once.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am

First ride to work today. Weather has calmed and my season ticket has ended so here goes. Rather nervous about it to be fair, first real ride in about 18 months and the route to work has a bunch of slow dragging ups, home will be worse as is very up hill.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

And it turns out my backpack doesn't actually fit my work stuff and lunch and that.......

Ordered a new one that should be here by Monday.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Ad7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 am

Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Cycling
by Dual » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:05 am

Has anyone ridden a bike with down tube shifters?

Thinking of buying a vintage road bike and obviously that's a typical feature.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by Jenuall » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 am

Dual wrote:Has anyone ridden a bike with down tube shifters?

Thinking of buying a vintage road bike and obviously that's a typical feature.


I used to commute on an old Raleigh Milk Race with the shifters on the downtube and absolutely loved it! Not to sound like too much of a twat but there's something really satisfying about the extra level of tangible connection you feel from downtube shifters.

I didn't have a problem using them, I know some people who find it uncomfortable to reach them but they were fine for me. Obviously it's not the quickest way of shifting gear but I don't think anybody riding with them is expecting to break any records!

ImageImage
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Cycling
by Dual » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Dual wrote:Has anyone ridden a bike with down tube shifters?

Thinking of buying a vintage road bike and obviously that's a typical feature.


I used to commute on an old Raleigh Milk Race with the shifters on the downtube and absolutely loved it! Not to sound like too much of a twat but there's something really satisfying about the extra level of tangible connection you feel from downtube shifters.

I didn't have a problem using them, I know some people who find it uncomfortable to reach them but they were fine for me. Obviously it's not the quickest way of shifting gear but I don't think anybody riding with them is expecting to break any records!


Cheers

Was looking at this one on ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3754208694

Not getting it for serious riding just for mucking about on like

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Ad7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by Jenuall » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


Panniers were a game changer for me on the commute. Having nothing on your back just feels so much nicer, reduces the chances of getting a major back sweat going on, and as an added bonus the panniers could carry more stuff than my bag could anyway!

Dual wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Dual wrote:Has anyone ridden a bike with down tube shifters?

Thinking of buying a vintage road bike and obviously that's a typical feature.


I used to commute on an old Raleigh Milk Race with the shifters on the downtube and absolutely loved it! Not to sound like too much of a twat but there's something really satisfying about the extra level of tangible connection you feel from downtube shifters.

I didn't have a problem using them, I know some people who find it uncomfortable to reach them but they were fine for me. Obviously it's not the quickest way of shifting gear but I don't think anybody riding with them is expecting to break any records!


Cheers

Was looking at this one on ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3754208694

Not getting it for serious riding just for mucking about on like


Nice, that looks a bargain for £25. Ideal for mucking about as you say!

My Milk Race was more of a 'pub bike' than anything, but it did me a good service as a commuter for a month or two whilst my main bike was out of action.

ImageImage
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Ad7 wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/


Shall have a look into it, would need to get the actual mounts for my bike, only other bugger is the bike is the bike is a mountain type bike so worry it will look a bit daft on it.

One of these:

Image

I'm fine with riding it for work, its more effort but once I get into he swing of it it wont be so bad, and if I can get into it all I plan on getting a new commuter via the cycle to work scheme at work as a sort of "well done"

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Cycling
by Octoroc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Fat sweaty people in Lycra shouting at you to get out of the way when you're crossing the road ON A PELICAN strawberry floating CROSSING.

Wrong thread?

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cycling
by Ad7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/


Shall have a look into it, would need to get the actual mounts for my bike, only other bugger is the bike is the bike is a mountain type bike so worry it will look a bit daft on it.

One of these:

Image

I'm fine with riding it for work, its more effort but once I get into he swing of it it wont be so bad, and if I can get into it all I plan on getting a new commuter via the cycle to work scheme at work as a sort of "well done"


A rack with have a bit of unavoidable granny bike about, but it's not so bad. Important thing is to get the right type of rack, there's ones for bikes with disk brakes (which I have) which fix to the rear frame on the same bolt as the wheel and also at the two bolts on the frame near the seat in front of the wheel. Everyone else who cycles to work here has the wrong sort, so it is stuck hanging in mid air attached only at the seat pole

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 am

First ride in and had to walk up a few of the steeper bits but for the most part was alright.

Bike decided it didn't like it mind as the bolt that hold the crank arm on came loose and fell off so need to tighten that up (hopefully I have an alan key big enough), just got to work out how to get the bike home now :D

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Cycling
by KjGarly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/


Shall have a look into it, would need to get the actual mounts for my bike, only other bugger is the bike is the bike is a mountain type bike so worry it will look a bit daft on it.

One of these:

Image

I'm fine with riding it for work, its more effort but once I get into he swing of it it wont be so bad, and if I can get into it all I plan on getting a new commuter via the cycle to work scheme at work as a sort of "well done"


Just switch out the tyres for road ones and you'll feel a big difference in the ride if yours has chunky mountain bike tyres.

Octoroc wrote:Fat sweaty people in Lycra shouting at you to get out of the way when you're crossing the road ON A PELICAN strawberry floating CROSSING.

Wrong thread?


Mate..

I WASNT WEARING strawberry floating LYCRA :capnscotty:

Image Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Cycling
by Errkal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm

KjGarly wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/


Shall have a look into it, would need to get the actual mounts for my bike, only other bugger is the bike is the bike is a mountain type bike so worry it will look a bit daft on it.

One of these:

Image

I'm fine with riding it for work, its more effort but once I get into he swing of it it wont be so bad, and if I can get into it all I plan on getting a new commuter via the cycle to work scheme at work as a sort of "well done"


Just switch out the tyres for road ones and you'll feel a big difference in the ride if yours has chunky mountain bike tyres.


I considered that, but a good chunk of the ride in is on a "cycle path" that is loose surface so the bigger tyres are a blessing for that.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Cycling
by Jenuall » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Errkal wrote:
KjGarly wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Have you considered panniers? I carry a fair bit to and from work and im sure the bastard uphill ride home would be a lot more uncomfortable with a backpack.

I haven't but it does sound like a good idea as I've got a laptop and change of clothes etc. to lug back and forth.


I've got 2 of these, theyre excellent. Large capacity, waterproof. Clip on and off the rack with handles.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OverBoard_W ... e_Pannier/


Shall have a look into it, would need to get the actual mounts for my bike, only other bugger is the bike is the bike is a mountain type bike so worry it will look a bit daft on it.

One of these:

Image

I'm fine with riding it for work, its more effort but once I get into he swing of it it wont be so bad, and if I can get into it all I plan on getting a new commuter via the cycle to work scheme at work as a sort of "well done"


Just switch out the tyres for road ones and you'll feel a big difference in the ride if yours has chunky mountain bike tyres.


I considered that, but a good chunk of the ride in is on a "cycle path" that is loose surface so the bigger tyres are a blessing for that.


You can get some some pretty decent MTB tyres these days that will still handle a looser surface whilst giving you gains on roads as well. It really does make things much easier compared to the oversized tyres that a lot of mountain bikes come with.

ImageImage

Return to “Stuff”