Page 5 of 9

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:30 pm
by Pedz
That is fair enough, good sir.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:15 pm
by DML
Death's Head wrote:I've watched bits of this twice and it is pretty crap. I can't see this being renewed. Is this really the best they could come up with for a video game, game show?


You'll be wrong about the renewal. It's been a big ratings hit for Dave, and will definitely return.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:39 am
by Death's Head
No accounting for taste!

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:46 am
by Jamo3103
I watched the first episode and it didn't do a lot for me, I really don't think the format of it is that bad but I think that any show of this nature lives and dies on the strength of its guests. On the basis of that episode the guests were not impressive.

In all fairness though I'm not really sure what I'd like a gaming show to do, I'm not even really sure if there's any need for one. I watch a fair bit of gaming stuff on YouTube and that allows me to find stuff that suits my gaming interests, I doubt any show could cover a wide enough array of content to appeal to everyone.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:37 pm
by Monkey Man
Behind the Scenes on Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... s-go-8-bit

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm
by Preezy
Coconut Bob wrote:In all fairness though I'm not really sure what I'd like a gaming show to do, I'm not even really sure if there's any need for one.

I think this is my main issue. If I want to watch people play games, I'll go on youtube or twitch. If I want to watch game reviews I'll go on youtube. If I want the latest gaming news I'll come here or go on youtube. If I want opinion pieces about games or the games industry I'll go on youtube. If I want funny skits or stuff like that with games I'll go on youtube.

I watched the first episode out of curiosity (not live, I might add), but I haven't had any desire at all to watch the subsequent ones.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:36 pm
by IAmTheSaladMan
I watched the first episode of this at the weekend and despite usually liking this sort of thing I just didn't enjoy it. I think part of the issue was that I wasn't really familiar with any of the contestants.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:43 pm
by DML
Preezy wrote:
Coconut Bob wrote:In all fairness though I'm not really sure what I'd like a gaming show to do, I'm not even really sure if there's any need for one.

I think this is my main issue. If I want to watch people play games, I'll go on youtube or twitch. If I want to watch game reviews I'll go on youtube. If I want the latest gaming news I'll come here or go on youtube. If I want opinion pieces about games or the games industry I'll go on youtube. If I want funny skits or stuff like that with games I'll go on youtube.

I watched the first episode out of curiosity (not live, I might add), but I haven't had any desire at all to watch the subsequent ones.


I mean a good reason for one might be simply higher production values. TV does have access to resources a Youtuber does not. Doesn't mean Go 8 Bit is that show, but with money able to be plowed into a show, theres always a place for televisual versions of topics.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 pm
by Eighthours
I wonder who writes the script for Ellie's montages. They're SO unfunny, it's embarrassing. Which is weird because Ellie in print is very funny indeed, so I can only assume she has nothing to do with them.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:49 pm
by Preezy
DML wrote:I mean a good reason for one might be simply higher production values.

You mean like a massive (massively-shit) spinning stage? Yeah money well spent.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:01 pm
by IAmTheSaladMan
That spinning stage just made me think of Numberwang.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:25 pm
by Floex
I think the format is a bit wrong. It should be 1 v all, where at points you have to team up and work together to earn points.

That spinning section though, Christ, put it in the sea.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 pm
by Errkal
Floex wrote:That spinning section though, Christ, put it in the sea.


Naff off, that bits fun. I do the dance along with it every time with the wife on the sofa :D

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm
by Pedz
You and your wife need a life.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:01 pm
by DML
Preezy wrote:
DML wrote:I mean a good reason for one might be simply higher production values.

You mean like a massive (massively-shit) spinning stage? Yeah money well spent.


I meant more HD footage, celebrities, audience and all those things.

For what its worth I like the stage. :shifty:

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:04 pm
by Preezy
But DML, I don't want or need celebrities or an audience, and I'm pretty sure I can view most if not all of my YouTube channels in glorious 1080p.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:11 pm
by KingK
This week's was better..... Rachel Riley was on :nod: :nod:

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 pm
by Lotus
KingK wrote:This week's was better..... Rachel Riley was on :nod: :nod:

I actually watched it at the weekend, purely for Ms Riley :slol:

Still wasn't very good. It really doesn't need to be an hour long, and Ellie Gibson is painfully unfunny - not really sure why she's there TBH, no reason Dara can't do her bits.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:39 pm
by Preezy
I guess they figured that Pointless was quite popular with that guy with the laptop, best just copy that.

Re: Dara O Briain's Go 8 Bit - Mondays on Dave at 10pm

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:25 am
by KingK
Ellie Gibson is awful. The whole show is quite poor but Dara is good enough to make me watch it