Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by <]:^D » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

still playing the non-patched 360 version - up to smelter demon v1.
having fun on the bosses so far - i go in and use a load of tries basically checking out their moveset, not even really trying to beat them. then when i feel ready i slap an ember, put on some ooze or resin and destroy them :datass: feels great, stress free Dark Souls :lol:

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 am

<]:^D wrote:smelter demon

Thats where I am. I've ended up clearing all the enemies in the run up to the fight because of how impossible it is to actually just run there. The enemy placement here is abhorrent. And how many times I died having to kite them away from each other and then the boss itself. Easily the hardest fight so far. Most of the others have been pretty easy. Feels horribly unbalanced to. I do about 10% and then I cant even attack him without taking damage. Then I can hardly ever dodge an attack when he has his fire sword without taking damage. I don't think I've even made it to 50% yet.

Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by more heat than light » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 am

more heat than light wrote:So, the Smelter Demon is an arsehole then.


Ah, good times. :lol:

Also if you think that's bad (and I did, to be fair) wait until you sample the delights of Iron Passage + Blueberry. strawberry float.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by <]:^D » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:smelter demon

Thats where I am. I've ended up clearing all the enemies in the run up to the fight because of how impossible it is to actually just run there. The enemy placement here is abhorrent. And how many times I died having to kite them away from each other and then the boss itself. Easily the hardest fight so far. Most of the others have been pretty easy. Feels horribly unbalanced to. I do about 10% and then I cant even attack him without taking damage. Then I can hardly ever dodge an attack when he has his fire sword without taking damage. I don't think I've even made it to 50% yet.


do you want some hints?

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:06 pm

<]:^D wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:smelter demon

Thats where I am. I've ended up clearing all the enemies in the run up to the fight because of how impossible it is to actually just run there. The enemy placement here is abhorrent. And how many times I died having to kite them away from each other and then the boss itself. Easily the hardest fight so far. Most of the others have been pretty easy. Feels horribly unbalanced to. I do about 10% and then I cant even attack him without taking damage. Then I can hardly ever dodge an attack when he has his fire sword without taking damage. I don't think I've even made it to 50% yet.


do you want some hints?

Nah its ok he is a dead banana split now.

Once I got to face him half a dozen times without having to deal with the shite that led to the fight it was easier to get the timings and strats down. I still think they got the stages poorly paced. The area after was shite too full of cheap enemy placement, a shortcut that was pointless as using it either meant dealing with enemies slowly or dying when they gang raped me if I ran past. Made it to the next bonfire (up the ladders) then killed the next boss. Which was comparatively very easy apart from his ability to shoot through walls and getting knocked into the lava. So glad to be done in this place. I actually like the theme and design but the enemy placement can go strawberry float itself. :x

Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Bit late since you've beat him now but there is a shield (Gyrm Greatshield) that blocks 100% of fire and physical damage which I found useful in this encounter.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by jawafour » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:...Made it to the next bonfire (up the ladders) then killed the next boss. Which was comparatively very easy apart from his ability to shoot through walls...

I witnessed this live on Twitch :lol: . It only seemed to happen once; after that the walls were a decent place to hide? It was cool to watch - I love seeing the environments and the enemies in the game.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by Pedz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm

jawafour wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:...Made it to the next bonfire (up the ladders) then killed the next boss. Which was comparatively very easy apart from his ability to shoot through walls...

I witnessed this live on Twitch :lol: . It only seemed to happen once; after that the walls were a decent place to hide? It was cool to watch - I love seeing the environments and the enemies in the game.

https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingRoughWhaleUncleNox

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:56 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:smelter demon

Thats where I am. I've ended up clearing all the enemies in the run up to the fight because of how impossible it is to actually just run there. The enemy placement here is abhorrent. And how many times I died having to kite them away from each other and then the boss itself. Easily the hardest fight so far. Most of the others have been pretty easy. Feels horribly unbalanced to. I do about 10% and then I cant even attack him without taking damage. Then I can hardly ever dodge an attack when he has his fire sword without taking damage. I don't think I've even made it to 50% yet.


do you want some hints?

Nah its ok he is a dead banana split now.

Once I got to face him half a dozen times without having to deal with the shite that led to the fight it was easier to get the timings and strats down. I still think they got the stages poorly paced. The area after was shite too full of cheap enemy placement, a shortcut that was pointless as using it either meant dealing with enemies slowly or dying when they gang raped me if I ran past. Made it to the next bonfire (up the ladders) then killed the next boss. Which was comparatively very easy apart from his ability to shoot through walls and getting knocked into the lava. So glad to be done in this place. I actually like the theme and design but the enemy placement can go strawberry float itself. :x


Since you've beaten him did you happen to venture back into the chamber where the Smelter Demon lived by any chance?

Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:
<]:^D wrote:smelter demon

Thats where I am. I've ended up clearing all the enemies in the run up to the fight because of how impossible it is to actually just run there. The enemy placement here is abhorrent. And how many times I died having to kite them away from each other and then the boss itself. Easily the hardest fight so far. Most of the others have been pretty easy. Feels horribly unbalanced to. I do about 10% and then I cant even attack him without taking damage. Then I can hardly ever dodge an attack when he has his fire sword without taking damage. I don't think I've even made it to 50% yet.


do you want some hints?

Nah its ok he is a dead banana split now.

Once I got to face him half a dozen times without having to deal with the shite that led to the fight it was easier to get the timings and strats down. I still think they got the stages poorly paced. The area after was shite too full of cheap enemy placement, a shortcut that was pointless as using it either meant dealing with enemies slowly or dying when they gang raped me if I ran past. Made it to the next bonfire (up the ladders) then killed the next boss. Which was comparatively very easy apart from his ability to shoot through walls and getting knocked into the lava. So glad to be done in this place. I actually like the theme and design but the enemy placement can go strawberry float itself. :x


Since you've beaten him did you happen to venture back into the chamber where the Smelter Demon lived by any chance?

No.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by Mafro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 am

You should.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Mafro wrote:You should.

Dicks.

I expected that tbh. I've already beaten him as an actual boss so every time he turns up I just sigh out of boredom. Anyway made some decent progress at last. But found lots of dead ends for now. Beyond the primal bonfire I found before (which stupidly I cant travel to) I found a place with a door that just said "closed" dat lore telling. :datass: So I went off to explore new places. I had some wood so went to the prison place to use it on a statue. Then got ganged up on repeatedly ( :roll: ) and faced a boss made up of 3 enemies. They were not that hard tbh but strawberry float me its so clunky this. Cant even be bothered to count how many times I couldnt switch between targets and the way this fight starts. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hilarious. :lol:

:|

Anyway. Carried on. Spotted some Dragons. They flew off. Went down to find the lost sinner. On the way there was a previous boss fight as standard enemy. :roll: Ah well at least it was just one and not lost lava land of padding. Dealt with the sinner first time. Was pretty uninspired. Area just before was quite cool. Then I went to the place beyond the statue not far from the hub area. With the girl who you can dress up. Lots of "you cant do this yet" stuff and then the foggy bit. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

Shite.

Made it to the next bonfire. Stopped for now.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by jawafour » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I've enjoyed watching TWA's playthrough. I get to see the environments and the beasts without having to tackle the frustrating gameplay :datass: .

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by Squinty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am

Dark Souls 2 is a bit cack in places. I'm glad I beat it, but I won't be going back to it. I skipped Smelter Demon, killed all the guys in that room until I could get through there unscathed, there's a bonfire not long after that room.

God, that place before the Rotten was utter utter dogshit. Pro tips, upgrade the mace, circle bosses who have a shield and sword, their tracking is crap.

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Squinty wrote:Dark Souls 2 is a bit cack in places.

I'd argue its more then a bit cack in most places.

Todays janky highlight! https://clips.twitch.tv/ThankfulGloriousPorpoiseOSsloth :lol:

Ended up dealing with it like this-https://www.twitch.tv/videos/230990588?t=02h24m40s

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by Ad7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:11 pm

:lol:

Why were you bashing it?

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Ad7 wrote::lol:

Why were you bashing it?

To kill it :lol:

Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by <]:^D » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm

beat Smelter Demon finally, had a bit of trouble. i actually had more luck being aggressive with my attacks on him - sometimes the usual strategies dont work!
in comparison Old Iron King was a doddle, cant believe how ineffectual most of his attacks were, with no follow up for being greedy and going for loads of attacks :o

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by The Watching Artist » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Right I think I'm finally nearing the end of this stupid game. I've just beaten the ancient dragon and started traveling back in time. So I want to know about the DLC. I've found a snow area which I've not explored yet. Dunno if that is part of it. Also do I need to do it before the end of the main game like DS and BB?

Image
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (Xbox One/PS4/PC)
by Met » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

If you touched a fountain thing to warp in, that's the DLC. I don't remember another ice area, so I think so.

You can do them whenever, 2 and 3 have options to stay in NG after the ending and you advance to NG+ whenever you want.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crimson, Jazzem, Jezo, Pedz, Peter Crisp, Tafdolphin, Trelliz and 49 guests