Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am

Rocsteady wrote:The only solution I've found to being a lazy bastard is to set tiny, achievable goals then treat yourself when you manage them.

Personally I'd also aim lower than something like getting a tv show commissioned straight off the bat, that gooseberry fool's difficult as.


Yeah, I tried to use the "write 350 words a day" model in the past which was certainly helpful. My problem is that if I don't immediately come up with fried gold then I sack the whole thing off. Which is utter nonsense. Even the greats don't nail gooseberry fool on their first run. If this gooseberry fool was easy etc etc

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by Lotus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 am

Doesn't everybody have a 'great novel' that they'll one day sit down and right? I think people having good ideas and not doing anything about them is very common. I know I have an idea in my head for a book or something that I'm convinced would be excellent, and I've put plenty of time into thinking about it (usually when I'm trying to get to sleep at night) but there's always something better to do than sit down and actually write it. I don't think you should feel too concerned about big projects like that, and most of things you've mentioned are big, ambitious projects that many people would baulk at the idea of actually doing something about. Is there something smaller and more 'realistic' that you'd like to achieve, and can you set about making that happen?

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Depression
by Tragic Magic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Not sure if this really fits in to this topic but I suffered a panic attack this afternoon. I've never had one before but it was terrifying and I still feel really shaken up by it.

I had my final AAT (association of accounting technicians) exam this morning. I've been doing the course for 3 years now and this was the very last hurdle so I was desperate to pass. I've never had a problem before and I've passed every exam so far, out-performing the majority of the people in my evening classes, but today's exam was a nightmare from start to finish. Nothing went right. I even ran out of time on the final question, which I worked out will have cost me about 12% of the total mark in itself, 70% being needed to pass. That was just one question though and the whole thing went horribly.

Ok, I started writing this an hour ago now and I'm not really sure where I was going with it so I'll just wrap up by saying I had my panic attack driving down an A road to work. I managed to pull over, off the road, and my Dad came to collect me. Took me home. Got me fed and watered. Then he went to get my car back with my wife while I rested. Then he went back home and my wife is just looking after me now.

I think I feel back to normal now but I'm really unsure. I don't remember what it felt like when I started having the attack so I can't really tell if I'm over it.

My mind was a complete mess though for ages after. Like I couldn't keep a simple train of thought. When I was telling my wife what happened I kept explaining the same thing over to her 3 times before I realised I was doing it. And when I did realise I'd correct myself, think that I was carrying on the conversation and then 5 sentences in realise I was repeating myself yet again.

No idea if this post is even that coherent and I don't really want to read through it all again. I just feel like typing all this out is bringing me back to my senses somewhat.

I just hope this never happens again. It was horrible. Everyone says it's stress and my wife says the aftermath that I'm feeling matches exactly how she feels when her depression flares up but I don't really know. It must be stress though.

Will just forget the exam now and book a resit in 6 weeks time when the result comes through.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Depression
by jawafour » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:Not sure if this really fits in to this topic but I suffered a panic attack this afternoon...

Tragic, that sounds like a horrible experience - I hope that you are recovering okay. It's hard to offer help or advice, but I can say that I understand that scenario and it sounds - and I say this very cautiously as I don't know the full picture - like it could have been due to a build-up of stress and pressure over time, culminating in the episode you described.

It's easy to get caught up in the endless cycle of work pressures and even general life pressures; and even without realising it, if you're pushing yourself for a long period of time then there is a danger that the little warning signs can be ignored until, at some point, it all becomes a bit too much. I'm not suggesting that this is definitely the case, but it may be worthwhile just thinking about how much you're fitting into your life and determining whether one or two aspects could be managed in a different way.

Anyway, I hope that, a day or so later, you're feeling a little better.

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Depression
by Tragic Magic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you Jawa. I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head in regards to describing the episode as a build up of pressure. I probably don't like to admit it but there's a lot going on at the moment. The chance of my studies being finally over was set to be at least one weight off my shoulders and I think yesterday's nightmarish morning was what broke me.

I feel better today. Very tired but coping. My Dad gave me a lift into work to be safe and I did start to feel a bit funny when we drove past the spot of yesterday's incident but I think I'll be fine tomorrow.

My fear is of having another attack but at the moment I feel like something's been vented so I'm not letting that fear get to me and I'm just carrying on.

I think I'll be ok.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Depression
by jawafour » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Sometimes it takes an experience like that to make us just step back and evaluate, Tragic. These things can come out of the blue, almost as a physical jolt to say "hey! Ease up just a little bit!". All the best, dude.

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: Depression
by gaminglegend » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am

I broke down the other day and just didn't go to work, my job is the biggest point of my maybe not depression but hatred of life at the moment. I left a company I'd loved for 5 years due to poor management, into a completely new role and a role way below my last position. Now I hate it, the team don't talk, it's 9 hours a day at a laptop screen, and I feel like I have no value or career progression where I am, and it's stupid because it's very easy as a role. I've lost enjoyment in hanging out with friends, I don't really do anything with my life apart from go to the gym after work, and I want to be alone all the time, and just think what is the point anymore. (Note I'm not suicidal in anyway that's just a figure of speech). I told my girlfriend and just let it all out the other day wrote a huge text message just letting her know I feel constantly down and defeated and it's something I've never felt before and I don't know what to do. She was very supportive, told me to quit my job and she'd support us but I can't do that, she can't afford that and working gives me a purpose however gooseberry fool it is. I thought about seeing a doctor, but it's always a 2 week waiting list and it's like damn it what's the point in waiting 2 whole weeks when I probably won't feel comfortable discussing this again. Sigh.


Note I must apologize if the above annoys anybody or is offensive. I realize a lot of people deal with much more serious issues, grief and my situation is nothing like that.

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Depression
by Saigon Slick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am

Nothing wrong with being down over your work situation - it's an important and hugely time consuming part of your life and it can be incredibly distressing when it's not going well.

I mean, I don't have any advice for you whatsoever but thought I'd say that much at least.

Image Image
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Depression
by Johnny Ryall » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 am

Yeah work has me in a similar mood at the moment. Select people I used to get banter with say feck all and I end up like you bored.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by Rudolphin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 am

gaminglegend wrote:
I broke down the other day and just didn't go to work, my job is the biggest point of my maybe not depression but hatred of life at the moment. I left a company I'd loved for 5 years due to poor management, into a completely new role and a role way below my last position. Now I hate it, the team don't talk, it's 9 hours a day at a laptop screen, and I feel like I have no value or career progression where I am, and it's stupid because it's very easy as a role. I've lost enjoyment in hanging out with friends, I don't really do anything with my life apart from go to the gym after work, and I want to be alone all the time, and just think what is the point anymore. (Note I'm not suicidal in anyway that's just a figure of speech). I told my girlfriend and just let it all out the other day wrote a huge text message just letting her know I feel constantly down and defeated and it's something I've never felt before and I don't know what to do. She was very supportive, told me to quit my job and she'd support us but I can't do that, she can't afford that and working gives me a purpose however gooseberry fool it is. I thought about seeing a doctor, but it's always a 2 week waiting list and it's like damn it what's the point in waiting 2 whole weeks when I probably won't feel comfortable discussing this again. Sigh.


Note I must apologize if the above annoys anybody or is offensive. I realize a lot of people deal with much more serious issues, grief and my situation is nothing like that.


I'm going through a very similar thing. The "nobody talks" aspect is especially familiar, and an aspect of work I think gets overlooked. If you're in a terrible role then good colleagues and genuine friends at work can make it bareable. Going it along in that situation can be terrible.

RE: the doctor. Ask for an emergency appointment. Most practices will have a set number of appointments a day put aside for urgent cases. I did this and got seen within 2 hours. If not, is there a walk-in centre nearby?

Quitting your job is a huge step. Not necessarily wrong or right, but huge. Have you tried discussing your position with your manager or HR team? If you do go to the doctor, you can inquire as to a sick note signing you off too. I took a mental health day a few weeks ago after waking up and being physically unable to get out of bed. Even that one day helped a ton.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Rocksleddy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by Rocksleddy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Chat is massive. I'm only in a temp role but the best girl in the office just landed another job, was (selfishly, inwardly) gutted.

Image
User avatar
gaminglegend
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: North East, UK

PostRe: Depression
by gaminglegend » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
gaminglegend wrote:
I broke down the other day and just didn't go to work, my job is the biggest point of my maybe not depression but hatred of life at the moment. I left a company I'd loved for 5 years due to poor management, into a completely new role and a role way below my last position. Now I hate it, the team don't talk, it's 9 hours a day at a laptop screen, and I feel like I have no value or career progression where I am, and it's stupid because it's very easy as a role. I've lost enjoyment in hanging out with friends, I don't really do anything with my life apart from go to the gym after work, and I want to be alone all the time, and just think what is the point anymore. (Note I'm not suicidal in anyway that's just a figure of speech). I told my girlfriend and just let it all out the other day wrote a huge text message just letting her know I feel constantly down and defeated and it's something I've never felt before and I don't know what to do. She was very supportive, told me to quit my job and she'd support us but I can't do that, she can't afford that and working gives me a purpose however gooseberry fool it is. I thought about seeing a doctor, but it's always a 2 week waiting list and it's like damn it what's the point in waiting 2 whole weeks when I probably won't feel comfortable discussing this again. Sigh.


Note I must apologize if the above annoys anybody or is offensive. I realize a lot of people deal with much more serious issues, grief and my situation is nothing like that.


I'm going through a very similar thing. The "nobody talks" aspect is especially familiar, and an aspect of work I think gets overlooked. If you're in a terrible role then good colleagues and genuine friends at work can make it bareable. Going it along in that situation can be terrible.

RE: the doctor. Ask for an emergency appointment. Most practices will have a set number of appointments a day put aside for urgent cases. I did this and got seen within 2 hours. If not, is there a walk-in centre nearby?

Quitting your job is a huge step. Not necessarily wrong or right, but huge. Have you tried discussing your position with your manager or HR team? If you do go to the doctor, you can inquire as to a sick note signing you off too. I took a mental health day a few weeks ago after waking up and being physically unable to get out of bed. Even that one day helped a ton.


I think a lot stems from the company, it's supposed to be all these things and it's utterly not. My manager is a year out of University it blows my mind how she got her position, I was a manger before coming here, and came into a different industry but with experience in the area, yet 8 months later it's apparent I'm heavily over qualified compared to her and she has no idea how to manage. So when I came in I've made an effort to not try and take over and just folllow when asked and I hate the place. I lie in bed every morning debating just staying home. Problem is I need the money, and the company has no sick pay (went 3 years without a day of sick when I had company sick pay.. wish I'd abused that ha). 100% the people make your work, I regret my decision to leave my last role, the mis-management now I think I should of just dealt with because this is nothing compared to that.

My worry is leaving what do I go to? I've had two interviews in the past 3 months where I was offered a better role than last back in the retail/leisure industry managing a whole site/team. Twice it's fell through either they don't have the position anymore or have had to re-structure :| The longer I stay in this position the more it effects me being out of the picture, but also I'm losing the will to apply for jobs, I've applied for well over 150 recently and to just get nothing back is absolutely strawberry floating damaging. You work your ass off to have an impressive CV and for what? I have such a concern that I can't have another dud job on my CV and can't help but worry about my career in the next 20 years :slol: it's stupid but it's literally what I'm feeling, I'm over-thinking every decision to the extreme. Can't handle another week of barely a hello at work, does my strawberry floating head in.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Depression
by Squinty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 am

I think having good co-workers goes a long way in making a crap job seem a bit better.

My previous team was great craic. This current one is not really the same, although it isn't anywhere near as bad as places I've been in before. One of my first jobs was working in place were everyone just stayed silent. I found it frustrating as hell.

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Depression
by Johnny Ryall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am

Yeah it's really boring. My job goes like that in phases mainly if we're busy. Ignoring customers and work related chat I could go whole days without interesting conversation.

User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by still » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:Yeah it's really boring. My job goes like that in phases mainly if we're busy. Ignoring customers and work related chat I could go whole days without interesting conversation.


Try working on your own all day!!

User avatar
kommissarboris
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: belfast

PostRe: Depression
by kommissarboris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am

Christ nearly a year since I last posted!

I got a puppy, probably the best thing I've done in the last 5 years.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Depression
by Saigon Slick » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:04 am

kommissarboris wrote:Christ nearly a year since I last posted!

I got a puppy, probably the best thing I've done in the last 5 years.


What kind of dog? Post a detailed picture album of the puppy please.

Not sure where this should go - after two years(!) of fighting for a referral to a psychologist, I've finally been told that I do, in fact, have ADHD and have had it all my life. The Alanis Morissette-esque irony is that the whole point of being referred in the first place - to get help with uni matters as I was falling behind - is now moot, because I'm at the point of submissions(albeit almost two years late). :slol:

Hopefully it will be treatable going forward.

Image Image
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Depression
by Tragic Magic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 am

Squinty wrote:I think having good co-workers goes a long way in making a crap job seem a bit better.

My previous team was great craic. This current one is not really the same, although it isn't anywhere near as bad as places I've been in before. One of my first jobs was working in place were everyone just stayed silent. I found it frustrating as hell.


I wish I felt the same. I work with some awesome colleagues but the oppressive work environment just makes me want to go in, not talk to anyone and leave. It just poisons my feelings towards everyone. It happened at my last place of work too when things started going down hill there.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Depression
by Green Gecko » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
kommissarboris wrote:Christ nearly a year since I last posted!

I got a puppy, probably the best thing I've done in the last 5 years.


What kind of dog? Post a detailed picture album of the puppy please.

Not sure where this should go - after two years(!) of fighting for a referral to a psychologist, I've finally been told that I do, in fact, have ADHD and have had it all my life. The Alanis Morissette-esque irony is that the whole point of being referred in the first place - to get help with uni matters as I was falling behind - is now moot, because I'm at the point of submissions(albeit almost two years late). :slol:

Hopefully it will be treatable going forward.

Same thing happened to me, basically if you have a neurological diagnosis for anything other than dyslexia you're strawberry floated waiting years, I had to go down both the private and NHS route and so didn't have support until 2 years into my degree and took an extra year, I kind of want that year of life back as I probably would have been fine if anyone gave a strawberry float about the impact of depression and learning difficulties rolled into one giant clusterfuck living away from familiar circumstances. And a better class as well, as my first 2 years were basically awful with most of my grades capped at 40% or 0.

On the other hand, if I had not hung back a year I would never have met my partner and I would certainly be worse off in that respect (or never competed with good grades to begin with as I was so unhappy), so sometimes life has a funny way of figuring things out for you.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Gently-Hung Holly Wreath
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression
by Gently-Hung Holly Wreath » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I gave up waiting for my diagnosis for ADHD. Im still on the waiting list I think, its been a couple of years now I believe, maybe 18 months.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyXMAS, Bunni, Dig Dug, Google [Bot], Meep, No:1 Final Fantasy Fan, St Nick, The Watching Artist and 57 guests