Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, Comcast drops out of bidding war

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 pm

KK wrote:Competition (forced or otherwise) doesn't always work. Sport has been syphoned off all over the place, and now just costs the consumer more to watch it all, whereas before it was practically all under one roof.


Sky/BT with football isn’t really competition though is it? They bid on a package of rights and then they get the exclusive rights to show those games.

Proper competition would mean that the Premier League and Football League offering up games for a fixed price and any broadcaster can then show it as long as they are willing to pay the fee.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Dual » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Saigon Slick wrote: oligolopoly


:lol:

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I would just like to point out that it appears that James Murdoch will continue as CEO of Sky PLC and is tipped as the next CEO of Disney.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tomous » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
KK wrote:Competition (forced or otherwise) doesn't always work. Sport has been syphoned off all over the place, and now just costs the consumer more to watch it all, whereas before it was practically all under one roof.


Sky/BT with football isn’t really competition though is it? They bid on a package of rights and then they get the exclusive rights to show those games.

Proper competition would mean that the Premier League and Football League offering up games for a fixed price and any broadcaster can then show it as long as they are willing to pay the fee.


Yep. The problem is they've determined that the product is any premier league football. Whereas really it should be on a match basis like you say. If they did it like that then it would get all cheaper and better value for the consumer.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Tomous wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
KK wrote:Competition (forced or otherwise) doesn't always work. Sport has been syphoned off all over the place, and now just costs the consumer more to watch it all, whereas before it was practically all under one roof.


Sky/BT with football isn’t really competition though is it? They bid on a package of rights and then they get the exclusive rights to show those games.

Proper competition would mean that the Premier League and Football League offering up games for a fixed price and any broadcaster can then show it as long as they are willing to pay the fee.


Yep. The problem is they've determined that the product is any premier league football. Whereas really it should be on a match basis like you say. If they did it like that then it would get all cheaper and better value for the consumer.


Indeed. All that's happened is that it's pushed up the price of football as it made it appealing for more companies to bid for the rights. The principle point of competition is to give the consumers a better choice and value for money. That's not what we get from the competition for football rights. The ones to benefit are those involved in football.

Last edited by Return_of_the_STAR on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by lex-man » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Tomous wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
KK wrote:Competition (forced or otherwise) doesn't always work. Sport has been syphoned off all over the place, and now just costs the consumer more to watch it all, whereas before it was practically all under one roof.


Sky/BT with football isn’t really competition though is it? They bid on a package of rights and then they get the exclusive rights to show those games.

Proper competition would mean that the Premier League and Football League offering up games for a fixed price and any broadcaster can then show it as long as they are willing to pay the fee.


Yep. The problem is they've determined that the product is any premier league football. Whereas really it should be on a match basis like you say. If they did it like that then it would get all cheaper and better value for the consumer.


It would be better if you could pay on a team by team basis but that would be bad for the small clubs as they wouldn't receive as much income.

User avatar
Snowcannon
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Snowcannon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Dual wrote:
Saigon Slick wrote: oligolopoly


:lol:


OligLOLOLy

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:I would just like to point out that it appears that James Murdoch will continue as CEO of Sky PLC and is tipped as the next CEO of Disney.


Them white dudes eh? Failing upwards every day

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Snowcannon wrote:
Dual wrote:
Saigon Slick wrote: oligolopoly


:lol:


OligLOLOLy

:lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:I would just like to point out that it appears that James Murdoch will continue as CEO of Sky PLC and is tipped as the next CEO of Disney.


Now that is bad news.

Image Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm


Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by KK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 pm

The current CEO of Disney, Robert Iger, was asked on Bloomberg whether Sky News has a future under Disney and he said "absolutely".

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Hime » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 pm

So the majority of the end of the world ending, internet hyperbole is based on Disney's control over popular franchises?

Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.

Having control over the majority of the worlds new outlets would obviously be cause for concern but thankfully that isn't the case.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Qikz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Fox was a gooseberry fool company anyway. I'm just happy we could finally see Doctor Doom in a good film.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 am

Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.


You think Star Wars and Marvel movies only became popular because of Disney? :lol:

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Re: [MCU Thread] - Avengers: Infinity War trailer p200
by Ad7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Lastpostamorph wrote:Discounts at Disneyworld :datass:


Why?


Laga's mum is going to buy Disney for him.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Re: [MCU Thread] - Avengers: Infinity War trailer p200
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:28 am

Advent7 wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Lastpostamorph wrote:Discounts at Disneyworld :datass:


Why?


Laga's mum is going to buy Disney for him.


Don't be silly, that would mean he would get in free not at a discount.

His mum is actually Rupert Murdoch, part of the deal to buy Fox involves discounts for family members.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am

Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney. .


It's almost like...you didn't...read....the........thread?

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Ad7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 am

Disney make great films, this is great.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Hime » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.


You think Star Wars and Marvel movies only became popular because of Disney? :lol:

Both franchises are in their current position because of Disney yes. Star Wars was obviously massive but there was nothing much going on with the franchise. Marvel were on their arse.

Rudolphin wrote:
Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney. .


It's almost like...you didn't...read....the........thread?

Oh I read your baseless actuations and scare mongering which is why I asked to forgo the hysteria for now. I know how you love hyperbole though.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Dowbocop, Kapp, Lagamorph, Peter Crisp, Qikz, Red 5 stella, Rightey, Rik_, the eponymous bollock, Tsunade, Wedgie, Wrathy, zXe and 54 guests