Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, Comcast drops out of bidding war

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Hime wrote:Oh I read your baseless actuations and scare mongering which is why I asked to forgo the hysteria for now. I know how you love hyperbole though.


Image

Nah, some people don't care about this stuff, I accept that. It's pretty easy to discount as hysteria (a loaded word in itself btw) genuine concerns and worries. I've admitted before that I go in hard with these things and that is often annoying to some, but I'd rather be direct than dismiss the whole thing as "scare mongering."

Also, baseless is an interesting word to use there, as I did give quite a bit of base to my reasoning. Actually, so is "accusations." I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I stated my opinion that the concentration of entire industries into 2 or 3 companies is bad for the consumer and bad for the product which is not really a controversial thing to say.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Hime wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.


You think Star Wars and Marvel movies only became popular because of Disney? :lol:

Both franchises are in their current position because of Disney yes. Star Wars was obviously massive but there was nothing much going on with the franchise. Marvel were on their arse.


Star Wars has always been massive. It would have been just as big with or without Disney involvement.

Disney bought Marvel in 2009, Marvel Studios had already released Iron Man in 2008. In 2010 Iron Man 2 and Thor were released but were distributed by Paramount, as was the first Captain America movie in 2011. The first Disney distributed Marvel movie was The Avengers in 2012.

So you are wrong. Star Wars doesn’t owe its position to Disney and neither do the Marvel movies.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Preezy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Star Wars only became big when Episode 1, the greatest film of all time, came out in 1999. Jar Jar Binks saved the franchise!

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Ad7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Holiday special reboot let's go

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tomous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.


You think Star Wars and Marvel movies only became popular because of Disney? :lol:

Both franchises are in their current position because of Disney yes. Star Wars was obviously massive but there was nothing much going on with the franchise. Marvel were on their arse.


Star Wars has always been massive. It would have been just as big with or without Disney involvement.

Disney bought Marvel in 2009, Marvel Studios had already released Iron Man in 2008. In 2010 Iron Man 2 and Thor were released but were distributed by Paramount, as was the first Captain America movie in 2011. The first Disney distributed Marvel movie was The Avengers in 2012.

So you are wrong. Star Wars doesn’t owe its position to Disney and neither do the Marvel movies.


Yeah, the Marvel plans for a cinematic universe had been in the works for a long time, going as far back as 2005 I think. The success of Phase 1, concluding with Avengers Assemble is what made it relevant and I'm not sure if Disney can take any real responsibility for those films.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by jawafour » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Preezy wrote:Star Wars only became big when Episode 1, the greatest film of all time, came out in 1999. Jar Jar Binks saved the franchise!

:lol: . It’s a bit like when youngsters think football was invented in 1992 when the Premier League launched.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Hime » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:Can we not forgo the hysteria until this looks like a bad thing? At the moment those franchises are as popular as they are because of Disney.


You think Star Wars and Marvel movies only became popular because of Disney? :lol:

Both franchises are in their current position because of Disney yes. Star Wars was obviously massive but there was nothing much going on with the franchise. Marvel were on their arse.


Star Wars has always been massive. It would have been just as big with or without Disney involvement.

Disney bought Marvel in 2009, Marvel Studios had already released Iron Man in 2008. In 2010 Iron Man 2 and Thor were released but were distributed by Paramount, as was the first Captain America movie in 2011. The first Disney distributed Marvel movie was The Avengers in 2012.

So you are wrong. Star Wars doesn’t owe its position to Disney and neither do the Marvel movies.

You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Hime wrote:You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.


This is mental. Talk about me loving hyperbole! :lol:

NB: Revenge of the Sith was the highest grossing film of 2005

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star- ... box-office

As was The Phantom Menace in 1999

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star- ... box-office

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Hime wrote:You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.


There was loads of hype. And lots of money being made. That was the reason Disney bought them, the Marvel movies were massively successful. Disney didn't do a lot there.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.


I am sorry to be rude, but you are talking absolute shite. :lol:

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.


Except that is not true.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tomous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:23 pm

The hype around Star Wars is absolutely nothing to do with Disney. It's because it's Star Wars.

Also, Rogue One wasn't even that well received-sitting at 65 on Metacritic. TFA had a fair amount of criticism too.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm

I'd agree with the Marvel comment to an extent - I actually think the franchise owes more to Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man than it does to Disney.

Image Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tomous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Saigon Slick wrote:I'd agree with the Marvel comment to an extent - I actually think the franchise owes more to Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man than it does to Disney.


Yeah, I think Iron Man's success basically gave Kevin Feige the platform to build towards his shared universe vision.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tafdolphin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Personally, I think we've only Blade 2 to thank.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Lagamorph » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Rudolphin wrote:Personally, I think we've only Blade 2 to thank.

Nah, Blade 3 had Deadpool in it so we should thank that one.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Tomous wrote:
Saigon Slick wrote:I'd agree with the Marvel comment to an extent - I actually think the franchise owes more to Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man than it does to Disney.


Yeah, I think Iron Man's success basically gave Kevin Feige the platform to build towards his shared universe vision.


I agree with the Downey Jr point, the first MCU movie was what made the Marvel movies the huge phenomenon that they are today.

The success of the Marvel movies is not because Disney bought them but the reason why Disney bought them.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Hime » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.


There was loads of hype. And lots of money being made. That was the reason Disney bought them, the Marvel movies were massively successful. Disney didn't do a lot there.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.


I am sorry to be rude, but you are talking absolute shite. :lol:

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.


Except that is not true.

So Star Wars as a brand hasn't been invigorated in any way by The Force Awakens after the awful prequels? What was happening with Star Wars? Were Lucas Arsts going to release more films?

I believe Disney has improved the franchise by releasing better quality films and things like Star Wars in Disney stores has increased the market size you include another generation.

I'll have a look at the figures for Thor and Iron Man, just out of interest more than anything as I really don't remember them being that big compared to X-Men and Spiderman.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Lagamorph » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Hime wrote:
Partridge Iciclebubbles wrote:
Hime wrote:You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.


There was loads of hype. And lots of money being made. That was the reason Disney bought them, the Marvel movies were massively successful. Disney didn't do a lot there.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.


I am sorry to be rude, but you are talking absolute shite. :lol:

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.


Except that is not true.

So Star Wars as a brand hasn't been invigorated in any way by The Force Awakens after the awful prequels? What was happening with Star Wars? Were Lucas Arsts going to release more films?

I believe Disney has improved the franchise by releasing better quality films and things like Star Wars in Disney stores has increased the market size you include another generation.

I'll have a look at the figures for Thor and Iron Man, just out of interest more than anything as I really don't remember them being that big compared to X-Men and Spiderman.

Star Wars Episode VII would have done gangbusters with or without Disney. The only difference Disney made was kicking Lucas out of the driving seat.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Hime » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Rudolphin wrote:
Hime wrote:You think that there was as much hype about Marvel when Thor and Iron Man were released as this there is now? I don't know what the numbers say but I thought they became popular in time but there wasn't much pre-release hype.

Same with Star Wars, it was popular with fans but the current hype around Star Wars is due to the good films Disney has put out.

I agree that I should have worried that differently to say that the current level of success both franchises are having is due to Disney.


This is mental. Talk about me loving hyperbole! :lol:

NB: Revenge of the Sith was the highest grossing film of 2005

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star- ... box-office

As was The Phantom Menace in 1999

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star- ... box-office

But I didn't say Star Wars wasn't ever successful. I'm talking more about the post prequel apathy more than anything.

Rudolphin wrote:Personally, I think we've only Blade 2 to thank.

The fight between Blade and Cat has been the benchmark for every Marvel movie since.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Moggy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Hime wrote:So Star Wars as a brand hasn't been invigorated in any way by The Force Awakens after the awful prequels? What was happening with Star Wars? Were Lucas Arsts going to release more films?

I believe Disney has improved the franchise by releasing better quality films and things like Star Wars in Disney stores has increased the market size you include another generation.


I am not sure including Star Wars toys in Disney shops counts as improving the brand. Star Wars toys have always been available.

Star Wars is a massive franchise, it was in the 70s and 80s and was again in the late 90s/00s. The awful prequels did nothing to stop the demand for the brand. Look at the video games, books, toys and cartoons and other merchandise that have been released since the prequels came out.

The Force Awakens was huge and yes it was made by Disney, but that doesn’t mean the franchise is only successful because of Disney. If Lucasfilm had not been sold to Disney and were making another film, then the hype and the desire to see it would have been just as great. Especially if Lucasfilm had kept George Lucas away from it.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion in Stock
by Tomous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Hime wrote:But I didn't say Star Wars wasn't ever successful. I'm talking more about the post prequel apathy more than anything.


But there wasn't really post prequel apathy that impacted the brand in a significant way, despite them being absolutely awful. The Star Wars name is so strong, it survived 3 bad films, in a 6 film franchise. People were incredibly hyped for TFA without Disney having to do anything but make it. Anyone could have taken the franchise and generated that level of hype.


Return to “Stuff”