DIY thread...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Poser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Ooh, nice thread.

Had no idea Dual was a secret DIY master. Dual It Yourself. :datass:

I do bits and pieces but rarely 'from scratch' stuff - usually limited to putting up shelves, building furniture etc. I would very much like to learn some proper skills such as plastering.

One request to the OP - could this be a gardening thread, too, or is that a bit of a stretch?


In addition to Dual's list, my best tool purchase was a cheap electric screwdriver and a set of heads, including hex/torx adapters. I use it all the sodding time. Can't imagine having to put furniture up without it now.


My best achievement was probably putting up these shoe shelves for the other half. I scored massive boyfriend points that day.

Image


I have also floored a couple of lofts, which is no fun:

Image


Created a vegetable plot in the garden (this pic taken before the lawn was turfed):

Image
Last edited by Poser on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Poser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 pm

I also once found a leak in the kitchen, and promptly fixed it like a boss:

Image


8-) 8-) 8-)
Image
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Rax » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

FWIW, Id count gardening as DIY, if only to help keep this thread alive.

My best DIY achievement so far is building a built in wardrobe for our walk in. Its not complete, I want to put more shelving up top and put in some drawers against the back wall but we have rails to hang stuff on and the top serves as a shelf so it does the job. the house is still a work in progress but most of the inside is done, a few finishing touches remain but its all painted and liveable at least.

Im gonna have to get my hands dirty outdoors though, we have a big garden but its not "done" yet, its still rough ground so Im hoping to get that into a state where you can call it a lawn and use a mower on it, then Ill look to add some fencing and put some trees or shrubs and stuff on it. Well also have to get the drive tarmaced and see about putting some walls out the front of the house so were not just totally open to the road, but theyre both probably beyond my DIY skills. I should be able to put up some fencing to add the finishing touches to the lot though.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Glowy69 wrote:Ive got six screwdrivers and they all seem a bit gooseberry fool. Grip isnt great. They just seem poorly built. Which they probably are.



Just get yourself a decent ratchet set. I have a pretty decent one, a DuraPRO Snake Driver.

Image
Actually bought this for my dad and then inherited it back.
Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Rax wrote:FWIW, Id count gardening as DIY, if only to help keep this thread alive.



Now we a talking! I have a Homelite lawnmower with a Mountfield V35 engine. What are you guys "driving"?
Yes?
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Glowy69 wrote:Ive got six screwdrivers and they all seem a bit gooseberry fool. Grip isnt great. They just seem poorly built. Which they probably are.



Just get yourself a decent ratchet set. I have a pretty decent one, a DuraPRO Snake Driver.

Image
Actually bought this for my dad and then inherited it back.


Impressive. What sort of cost are we talking?
Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dual » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Poser wrote:One request to the OP - could this be a gardening thread, too, or is that a bit of a stretch?


:nod: I'll post pics of my brand new Ferrari Red petrol lawnmower later. She is my pride and joy.


Poser wrote:In addition to Dual's list, my best tool purchase was a cheap electric screwdriver and a set of heads, including hex/torx adapters. I use it all the sodding time. Can't imagine having to put furniture up without it now.



Assembling flat pack furniture has never been easier. dat battery powered torque :datass:

just lol @ doing it by hand just lol
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dual » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Rax wrote:FWIW, Id count gardening as DIY, if only to help keep this thread alive.



Now we a talking! I have a Homelite lawnmower with a Mountfield V35 engine. What are you guys "driving"?


:wub:

Mountfield 45cm Hand-Propelled / 55ltr grass collector with a 125cc 4-Stroke Briggs & Stratton E Series Engine and comes with a sexy af mulching plug as standard.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Dual » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Getting all hot and bothered itt need to take a cold shower
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Glowy69 wrote:Impressive. What sort of cost are we talking?


Not very much, probably £20-£30.
Yes?
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Poser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Say mulching plug again, Dual. Say it slowly.
Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Dual wrote:Hand-Propelled


Mine is clutch propelled. Although I do know what hand-propelled feels like as it stopped working, just got it fixed though for the start of the season. Petrol mowers are so much strawberry floating better than electric mowers.
Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Death's Head » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Poser wrote:My best achievement was probably putting up these shoe shelves for the other half. I scored massive boyfriend points that day.


Those floating bastards are a bit of a bitch to line up. I put some up in our utility room but one of the screws went through a pipe. :dread:
I now have them in my office holding my games and speakers.


Poser wrote:I have also floored a couple of lofts, which is no fun:


Also done this, both in our current house and previous house. No fun, but at least fairly easy.
Yes?
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: DIY thread...
by BID0 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm

For screwdrivers these kind are really handy...

Image

Makes my job easier as there's less to carry around, just one handle and you change to whatever you need. Also you're less likely to leave screwdrivers up in ceilings etc.




And if you're driling concrete, or have gone through brick in to concrete and you're stuck make sure you're using the correct kind of bit

Image

And as has been mentioned, the SDS drills are really nice and make light work of brick and concrete. Use the hammer mode only when you need that extra bit of power, it can make it slightly less accurate where the hole goes, or makes the hole too wide which is why I don't recommend hammer time all of the time. If the hole does end up too big you can use a different sizes rawlplug or a rawlplug inside a rawlplug to pad it out.

Plasterboard fixings are quite good if you're hanging from ceilings or walls with a lightish load...

Image

You simply use a screwdriver to screw it in to your plasterboard and then the same again to screw your screw in to the fixing. Quick, easy and accurate. Also no need for a drill.
Image
[twitter] [instagram] [twitch] [last.fm]
RO > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 >> 1 > 2 > 7
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Good work gents. Think ive inadvertently created duals favourite thread.

Im gonna get one of them sets DH posted.
Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Samuel_1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Make sure you're using the right bit for the job. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but some people don't know the difference between a Philips and a Pozi. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee all make good bits, as do some other brands. As Dual says, get an impact driver, they're amazing for screwing (ooh er). Not sure what your budget is, but this set should last you a good while: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t
Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Samuel_1 wrote:Make sure you're using the right bit for the job. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but some people don't know the difference between a Philips and a Pozi. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee all make good bits, as do some other brands. As Dual says, get an impact driver, they're amazing for screwing (ooh er). Not sure what your budget is, but this set should last you a good while: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t


Oh wow. Wtf is an impact driver? And the combi driver means is a drill and a driver yeah?
Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Samuel_1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Glowy69 wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:Make sure you're using the right bit for the job. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but some people don't know the difference between a Philips and a Pozi. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee all make good bits, as do some other brands. As Dual says, get an impact driver, they're amazing for screwing (ooh er). Not sure what your budget is, but this set should last you a good while: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t


Oh wow. Wtf is an impact driver? And the combi driver means is a drill and a driver yeah?

It's the smaller of the two tools in the link, you can actually drill with one, but it's ostensibly used for screwing. You can also screw with a combi drill, but they won't hammer the screw in the same way a driver does.
Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Glowy69 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Samuel_1 wrote:
Glowy69 wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:Make sure you're using the right bit for the job. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but some people don't know the difference between a Philips and a Pozi. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee all make good bits, as do some other brands. As Dual says, get an impact driver, they're amazing for screwing (ooh er). Not sure what your budget is, but this set should last you a good while: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t


Oh wow. Wtf is an impact driver? And the combi driver means is a drill and a driver yeah?

It's the smaller of the two tools in the link, you can actually drill with one, but it's ostensibly used for screwing. You can also screw with a combi drill, but they won't hammer the screw in the same way a driver does.


Hammer a screw? Excuse my ignorance. Does it literally hammer the screw in? Much better than screwing right?
Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
Samuel_1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: DIY thread...
by Samuel_1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 pm

Glowy69 wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:
Glowy69 wrote:
Samuel_1 wrote:Make sure you're using the right bit for the job. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but some people don't know the difference between a Philips and a Pozi. Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee all make good bits, as do some other brands. As Dual says, get an impact driver, they're amazing for screwing (ooh er). Not sure what your budget is, but this set should last you a good while: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcz298s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-9801t


Oh wow. Wtf is an impact driver? And the combi driver means is a drill and a driver yeah?

It's the smaller of the two tools in the link, you can actually drill with one, but it's ostensibly used for screwing. You can also screw with a combi drill, but they won't hammer the screw in the same way a driver does.


Hammer a screw? Excuse my ignorance. Does it literally hammer the screw in? Much better than screwing right?

Yup, an impact driver rotates the screw and pushes it in at the same time using a hammering action. They are designed to do this, I wouldn't use the hammer ability of a combi drill when you're screwing (so many innuendos.....)
Supporting My Local Mule Sanctuary Since 11/11/2014.

Donations welcome, please PM me to prevent unwarranted mule kicking.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addsy0, D_C, darksideby182, Errkal, FatDaz, massimo, PuppetBoy, Qikz, Skippy, Ste, Tineash, Yahoo [Bot] and 52 guests