Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by captain red dog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Amazon appear to be sold out. Bugger, I knew I should have wacked an order in. :x

User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Fade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Fade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?


Oh wait, you mean the 23GB download for Doom? Yeah, I guess in the (ya hope) far flung future there's a chance you won't be able to download the additional data. But isn't that the same for pretty much every platform?

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by jawafour » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Impressions update:

> I had a go in portable mode and it’s impressive... albeit the screen text is tiny. Seriously, I can barely read some of it. It has been ported over exactly as per other formats but it could have done with a bit more tailoring for the small screen
> The lower resolution does make things a little murky in places
> Even so, it is excellent fun and, for me, captures the feel and atmosphere of the “bigger” versions

Gonna give it another go in a min :toot: .

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 pm

jawafour wrote:Impressions update:

> I had a go in portable mode and it’s impressive... albeit the screen text is tiny. Seriously, I can barely read some of it. It has been ported over exactly as per other formats but it could have done with a bit more tailoring for the small screen
> The lower resolution does make things a little murky in places
> Even so, it is excellent fun and, for me, captures the feel and atmosphere of the “bigger” versions

Gonna give it another go in a min :toot: .


To think, that, after all these years after Dead Rising, this is still a thing. :fp:

Enjoy hearing the Testaments in portable mode :toot: :nod:

Last edited by Saint of Killers on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

:!:

Second after making the above post I *finally* remembered whose voice the Testaments brought to mind: https://youtu.be/-_2_cJxYYhM :lol:

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Fade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?


Oh wait, you mean the 23GB download for Doom? Yeah, I guess in the (ya hope) far flung future there's a chance you won't be able to download the additional data. But isn't that the same for pretty much every platform?

I mean the fact some switch games only ship with half the game on the card.

If Sony turned off PS3 patches I could still play Heavenly Sword. So I don't really think it's the same if the games are unplayable without patches.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?


Oh wait, you mean the 23GB download for Doom? Yeah, I guess in the (ya hope) far flung future there's a chance you won't be able to download the additional data. But isn't that the same for pretty much every platform?

I mean the fact some switch games only ship with half the game on the card.

If Sony turned off PS3 patches I could still play Heavenly Sword. So I don't really think it's the same if the games are unplayable without patches.


It amounts to the same thing though: publishers not making them available after X amount of time. Let's hope that doesn't happen for a long while.

But yes, this is worse because what happens to people buying the game who don't have access to broadband/decent broadband speeds? A bit of a shitty situation for sure. It's akin to it being a digital download only game. I really hope devs making games for PS and XB don't get any ideas from it...

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Jenuall » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?


Oh wait, you mean the 23GB download for Doom? Yeah, I guess in the (ya hope) far flung future there's a chance you won't be able to download the additional data. But isn't that the same for pretty much every platform?

I mean the fact some switch games only ship with half the game on the card.

If Sony turned off PS3 patches I could still play Heavenly Sword. So I don't really think it's the same if the games are unplayable without patches.


It amounts to the same thing though: publishers not making them available after X amount of time. Let's hope that doesn't happen for a long while.

But yes, this is worse because what happens to people buying the game who don't have access to broadband/decent broadband speeds? A bit of a shitty situation for sure. It's akin to it being a digital download only game. I really hope devs making games for PS and XB don't get any ideas from it...


It's not quite the same, with all consoles up to now if you bought the physical release you would still be able to play the game from that disc from now until eternity (presuming it's not a multiplayer only game) - if Sony or MS turn off the patching servers then you would only get the V1 vanilla version of the game, but you would still get the game in some form.

With Switch if you plug the DOOM cart into you console in 10 years time and Nintendo have shutdown the server hosting the additional content then you get nothing.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 am

Jenuall wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Fade wrote:
Fade wrote:So, are some of these switch games going to be unplayable in the future when you can't download the patches? That'll be fun.

Genuinely curious, as I want to get a switch at some point

Does anyone know?


What is it that made you ask that?

Mandatory download before you can play the game?


Oh wait, you mean the 23GB download for Doom? Yeah, I guess in the (ya hope) far flung future there's a chance you won't be able to download the additional data. But isn't that the same for pretty much every platform?

I mean the fact some switch games only ship with half the game on the card.

If Sony turned off PS3 patches I could still play Heavenly Sword. So I don't really think it's the same if the games are unplayable without patches.


It amounts to the same thing though: publishers not making them available after X amount of time. Let's hope that doesn't happen for a long while.

But yes, this is worse because what happens to people buying the game who don't have access to broadband/decent broadband speeds? A bit of a shitty situation for sure. It's akin to it being a digital download only game. I really hope devs making games for PS and XB don't get any ideas from it...


It's not quite the same, with all consoles up to now if you bought the physical release you would still be able to play the game from that disc from now until eternity (presuming it's not a multiplayer only game) - if Sony or MS turn off the patching servers then you would only get the V1 vanilla version of the game, but you would still get the game in some form.

With Switch if you plug the DOOM cart into you console in 10 years time and Nintendo have shutdown the server hosting the additional content then you get nothing.


I kept my argument to Fade's original point: what happens if the servers are switched off. But yes, I do realise the difference between how most physical games are different to the Switch version of Doom. (Hence my comment about people without broadband; my point being they're stuck without a game *right now*. Apologies for not making that more clear.)

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by captain red dog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am

I honestly think this will be the last generation in terms of architecture. I think from here on, backwards compatibility will just be a given as consoles go through an upgrade system comparable to smartphones.

It doesn't stop them shutting the servers for certain games etc, but I'm sure there will be a work around either officially or unofficially.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Ad7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

I know it's a long way off, but it's a big worry for me long term for retro purposes. If I want to go dig an old console out of the loft and play a really old game, I can go and do that. In 10 years if I fancy playing a switch game, would I even be able to do that if any of my games had not been predownloaded or if the sd card has failed?

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by captain red dog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am

Well it's going to be an issue for a lot of digital libraries going forwards, I can't see any of the big 3 getting into a situation where a lot of their content drops off the radar. I'm sure as technology improves there will be a way to patch these games even if the servers turn off for digital download.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

In two minds whether to buy this today or not. Still need to get an SD card and I'm heading away for a couple of nights with no access to WiFi to download the "patch". Might hold off till later in the weekend or even Monday....

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by captain red dog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 am

I was in two minds but the footage I have seen convinced me to get it. Amazon had it back up for order this morning so I should be getting it tomorrow on Prime.

I also got a 128gb SD card coming.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Saint of Killers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am

Ad7 wrote:I know it's a long way off, but it's a big worry for me long term for retro purposes. If I want to go dig an old console out of the loft and play a really old game, I can go and do that. In 10 years if I fancy playing a switch game, would I even be able to do that if any of my games had not been predownloaded or if the sd card has failed?


Worth forking a wee bit extra out for the "high endurance" cards.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Ad7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Oh I've got a good card, it's just an example of things that could shut you out from playing older games in the future.

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Doom | PS4, Switch, PC & Xbone
by Jazzem » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Enjoy Switch folk, it's such an amazing experience :toot:


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 41 guests