Dreamcast - Official Topic (unveiled 20 years ago today 21/05/1998)

Anything to do with games at all.

Favourite Dreamcast game/series?

Chu Chu Rocket
0
No votes
Crazy Taxi
3
8%
Ecco the Dolphin : Defender of the Future
0
No votes
Grandia II
0
No votes
Headhunter
0
No votes
Jet Set Radio
3
8%
MSR
2
6%
Phantasy Star Online
1
3%
Power Stone
1
3%
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
2
6%
Rez
1
3%
Samba de Amigo
1
3%
Shenmue
11
31%
Skies of Arcadia
4
11%
Sonic Adventure
3
8%
Soul Calibur
3
8%
Space Channel 5
0
No votes
Virtua Fighter 3 tb
0
No votes
Virtua Tennis
1
3%
 
Total votes: 36
User avatar
T9Flake
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: In front of a PC
Contact:

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by T9Flake » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:40 am

consolegaming wrote:
Razilez wrote:My favourite console of all time. Nothing comes close for me, and it came around the time when gaming was still very special to me. There was something magic about that era, and I loved reading the latest Dreamcast magazines in anticipation for the upcoming titles. There was something so original about the games when it came out, with many genres being spread over such a short period of time. It was a time when Sega took chances and showed it's creative brilliance, with some fantastic results. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save the console and it faded away just when it was getting into it's prime. It was also my first time playing a console game online; pure gaming bliss. I have over a hundred games for it and is still growing in size.

I have it hooked upto my 37" 1080p HDTV via VGA adaptor and it's beautiful. Can't get enough of it really. God bless Dreamcast.

*Salutes*


Totally agree, it was a time when gaming really was exciting, it may also be to do with the fact that broadband only took off a few years into the dreamcasts lifespan, which meant less browsing and less news.

It was the last great console imo, truly magical, just like the n64 before it.

I really think the dreamcast back catalogue needs to be released on the wii or psn/ xbla, more gamers need to experience segas past glories and what they turned their backs on!


I agree wholeheartedly

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:21 pm

Cal wrote:
Razilez wrote:I have it hooked upto my 37" 1080p HDTV via VGA adaptor and it's beautiful.

*Salutes*


This, I envy. It's probably the best argument yet for me getting one of these new-fangled HDTV thingies. I'd love to see my DC in all it's VGA glory on one of those bad boys. :mrgreen:


The first time i hooked my vga cable up it was like a whole new experience, some games like vf3 were only 50hz through the rgb scart cable so playing them in full resolution and full screen and full speed was awesome!

I cannot get the vga to work on my 19 inch samsung tv though for some reason even though it says 480p works in the manual. Could it be because i hooked u my laptop to it recently or is it just not compatible?

It works on my 26 inch samsung well though and the colours and sharpness are astounding!

User avatar
The Grassy knoll
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Devon

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by The Grassy knoll » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Did it seriously have all those codenames in development? :lol: Some of them are quality.

I voted for Sole Calibur though did like Powerstone also.The Dreamcast was the daddy when it came to fighting games.

You are entitled to nothing!
User avatar
OLIN
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by OLIN » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 pm

The Grassy knoll wrote:The Dreamcast was the daddy when it came to fighting games.
Marvel vs Capcom 2!

User avatar
The Grassy knoll
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Devon

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by The Grassy knoll » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 am

OLIN wrote:
The Grassy knoll wrote:The Dreamcast was the daddy when it came to fighting games.
Marvel vs Capcom 2!



Yep it definitely excelled in both 2d and 3d fighters.

You are entitled to nothing!
User avatar
Andrew_version1
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashton Gate

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Andrew_version1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks to this thread I've been and bought a vga cable and action replay (to boot imports) for my dreamcast, and now i'm looking at getting loads of games off ebay, currently looking to get MVC 1+2 and street fighter III double impact (don't suppose any forumites happen to have any of these and looking to sell on for a reasonable sum? ;) )

Image

EASTEND SAYS...BOUNCE AROUND THE GROUND
User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Andrew_version1 wrote:Thanks to this thread I've been and bought a vga cable and action replay (to boot imports) for my dreamcast, and now i'm looking at getting loads of games off ebay, currently looking to get MVC 1+2 and street fighter III double impact (don't suppose any forumites happen to have any of these and looking to sell on for a reasonable sum? ;) )


Well done, the console is certainly stunning, some guy is selling the extremely rare official dreamcast vga cable on ebay for £60, if it was a major improvement over the one I have (GAME branded one) I would get it!

User avatar
Andrew_version1
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashton Gate

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Andrew_version1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm

consolegaming wrote:
Andrew_version1 wrote:Thanks to this thread I've been and bought a vga cable and action replay (to boot imports) for my dreamcast, and now i'm looking at getting loads of games off ebay, currently looking to get MVC 1+2 and street fighter III double impact (don't suppose any forumites happen to have any of these and looking to sell on for a reasonable sum? ;) )


Well done, the console is certainly stunning, some guy is selling the extremely rare official dreamcast vga cable on ebay for £60, if it was a major improvement over the one I have (GAME branded one) I would get it!


Managed to get one for £7 off eBay, result, however slight snag, the git doesn't want to seem to fit my TV :evil: still just a temporary set back...also got both marvel vs capcoms for £34 :D

Image

EASTEND SAYS...BOUNCE AROUND THE GROUND
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pancake » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 pm

I never really liked the Dreamcast, though it was better than the Saturn! I can't be alone, surely?

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 am

Andrew_version1 wrote:
consolegaming wrote:
Andrew_version1 wrote:Thanks to this thread I've been and bought a vga cable and action replay (to boot imports) for my dreamcast, and now i'm looking at getting loads of games off ebay, currently looking to get MVC 1+2 and street fighter III double impact (don't suppose any forumites happen to have any of these and looking to sell on for a reasonable sum? ;) )


Well done, the console is certainly stunning, some guy is selling the extremely rare official dreamcast vga cable on ebay for £60, if it was a major improvement over the one I have (GAME branded one) I would get it!


Managed to get one for £7 off eBay, result, however slight snag, the git doesn't want to seem to fit my TV :evil: still just a temporary set back...also got both marvel vs capcoms for £34 :D


Good deal for the vga cable, I think i got mine off ebay for around £15 and picture is immense, also more or less all of the best games support vga!

It is a shame that the lightgun games won't work with either widescreen tvs or lcd hdtvs so that rules out a hotd purchase!

Even booting up the dreamcast now is exciting, which that wonderful simple startup dreamcast swirl, playing the games in vga is a wonderful experience and I want to try and play through the classics again like shenmue 1 and 2 and sonic adventure. That reminds me I need to get sonic adventure 2!

User avatar
Pontius Pilate
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pontius Pilate » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:34 am

Just dug out my old dreamcast there. However I can't find any of the cables :cry:.

I was looking forward to playing some sick Japanese wrestling games. :(

Woah - I also found my my megadrive 2 :lol:

User avatar
Pred
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pred » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:03 pm

My Dreamcast is working again! :D

It was around a year ago when it got the reset bug but I never attempted to fix it. I don't know why I thought about attempting it now but I'm glad I did. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

User avatar
SchminkyPinky
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by SchminkyPinky » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Yeah the reset fix is very, very easy.

Image
User avatar
Pred
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pred » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm

SchminkyPinky wrote:Yeah the reset fix is very, very easy.


I had a bit of bother removing the power supply board but apart from that it was easy enough. I'm hoping I won't need to do it again any time soon.

I had a few rounds of Power Stone and I've noticed that the loading times are really slow. I don't remember them being that slow so I'm hoping I didn't do anything to the console. When playing ChuChu Rocket the music during the game would sometimes cut out for a moment, which, again, I don't remember happening. Rez seemed fine, though, and I'll check the other games at some point, too.

User avatar
Pontius Pilate
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Pontius Pilate » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Anyone got a spare scart lead they wanna give me? :evil:

All this talk of dreamcast is making me wish I never dug it out, its sitting beside me, controller, power supply, everything. Just no scart lead in sight :evil:

User avatar
Rik
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by Rik » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Ryan0rz wrote:Anyone got a spare scart lead they wanna give me? :evil:

All this talk of dreamcast is making me wish I never dug it out, its sitting beside me, controller, power supply, everything. Just no scart lead in sight :evil:


I will venture into my loft if you still need one.

Neogaf: Riky
User avatar
frogg
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by frogg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Ahh Chu Chu Rocket, that game was epic, but so damn frustrating when the cats ate all my mice :(

Shenmue ftw

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

killaroo wrote:Ahh Chu Chu Rocket, that game was epic, but so damn frustrating when the cats ate all my mice :(

Shenmue ftw


Chu Chu was one of my first online experiences, it was so odd having to connect the line all of the time to the modem!

Shenmue is indeed awesome, I dug the dreamcast out over a year ago and completed that again and recently did quite a bit on Shenmue 2 again until I got to the bit where Ryo needed loads of money and the Dreamcast has been packed away since!

The Shenmue 2 love continues through the Xbox 360 though, I watched a little of the DVD movie of the first game and it was so awesome. It is the perfect Christmas game. I was in gaming heaven for 2 winters, I will never forget that special feeling when playing through the first game, it really felt as if you were in this small world, doing the jobs, getting the toy capsules, it felt so realistic. So many great moments, but also so many moments where you just felt so into the experience.

How about searching Yokosuka, asking questions at night and that eerily silent music and feeling of real isolation as you travel back to your home?

Because Shenmue 1 felt so homely the sequel really did feel as though Ryo was in a foreign land. I am appreciative of the fact that Sega got Shenmue 2 out, we may never get the sequel, I guess we must now see that defining moment at the end of Shenmue 2 as the end of the story. In a way it adds to the mystery and love for the game, its just a shame people did not support the dreamcast and shenmue enough! :(

User avatar
frogg
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by frogg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:51 pm

I never bought Shenmue 2 :( although i did see it in some shop a while back for a stupidly low price. If i remember what shop it was ill get it.

Hahaha aw man, i'd forgotten about those toy capsules. Takes me back.
I remember shitting my pants when you had to fight that crazy guy in a shop, memories hazy but I think he looked like Golum from LOTR...

User avatar
consolegaming
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Dreamcast - Official Topic
by consolegaming » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:19 am

killaroo wrote:I never bought Shenmue 2 :( although i did see it in some shop a while back for a stupidly low price. If i remember what shop it was ill get it.

Hahaha aw man, i'd forgotten about those toy capsules. Takes me back.
I remember shitting my pants when you had to fight that crazy guy in a shop, memories hazy but I think he looked like Golum from LOTR...


Yeah, I think his name was Chai. The game just felt so real at times and did so many things so well like the change in music and the characters, okay so the acting was no brilliant, but so many of the phrases got famous like 'I See' and 'Where can I find Sailors'. :mrgreen:

Prepare to be amazed by the more concentrated Shenmue as it feels like Ryo is on foreign land, but you may be ultimately disappointed that this is the end, but nevertheless you have to play, experience and complete Shenmue 2, because it is one of the best games/ experiences ever. It is probably more of a videogame than the first and features many more locations.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BTB, Damian, fry87, Gemini73, Jazzem, jezhumphrey75, Kanbei, Met, NickSCFC, OldSoulCyborg, Poser, Qikz, Tafdolphin, Trelliz, Yoshimi, zXe and 36 guests