Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Buffalo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am

Another little alarm bell as seemingly another Netflix original ends up being a bit gooseberry fool. Ah well, I guess not everything they do has to be good.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Brerlappin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

Its sad because back in 09 we had Moon and District 9, and it looked like we were entering a new golden age of Sci Fi, but both Blomkamp and Jones havent done anything good since then at all (tho i hear Blomkamps short films were decent)

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am

Brerlappin wrote:Its sad because back in 09 we had Moon and District 9, and it looked like we were entering a new golden age of Sci Fi, but both Blomkamp and Jones havent done anything good since then at all (tho i hear Blomkamps short films were decent)


They really were, the first two especially:




Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by OrangeRKN » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am

Brerlappin wrote:Its sad because back in 09 we had Moon and District 9, and it looked like we were entering a new golden age of Sci Fi, but both Blomkamp and Jones havent done anything good since then at all (tho i hear Blomkamps short films were decent)


Chappie was good :(

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Floex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Its sad because back in 09 we had Moon and District 9, and it looked like we were entering a new golden age of Sci Fi, but both Blomkamp and Jones havent done anything good since then at all (tho i hear Blomkamps short films were decent)


Chappie was good :(


Like was it :lol:

Oh no, another cyberpunk disaster :(

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by OrangeRKN » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am

If you didn't find gangsta robot versus wolverine entertaining then that's your problem

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Jones has indicated on Twitter that he's keen to make a film of 2000AD''s Slaine. He responded to a Tweet from creator Pat Mills asking for serious pitches for movies of 200AD strips with something along the lines of "I'd bite your arm off to do Slaine...".

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Vermilion » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:45 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Chappie was good :(


I didn't like it.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Going to do a running commentary of this I think.

10 minutes in and yeah, this isn't great. Art direction is nice though, if a bit derivative, but it already looks better than Altered Carbon.

strawberry float me, the actress playing the girlfriend is atrocious. Skaarsgard looks incredibly bored.

Unless it has a massive payoff at some point later on, the whole actual 'main character being mute' thing is really, really stupid. Every piece of dialogue is "What's that Leo? You want to go outside?" It's like strawberry floating Air Bud.

Rudd is channeling full Fantana here.

Ooop, Moon refere...aaaaand it's gone. This is all remarkably dull so far. Not awful (the world building is still great) but not good.

The script is really, really bad.

This is like two different films. One about a bored mute guys looking for his missus, one about an ambiguously gay couple drinking beers and bowling.

"School girls man. Itty bitty titties"

That was the worst car chase I've seen in years. At no point did it look like Leo was going over 15mph. Then he rear-ended a garbage truck for no reason. Got a laugh at least.

The visuals remain striking at least.

Oh strawberry float, the handling of the paedophile character is horrible. Leering, bawdy and almost voyeuristic.

1 hour 30 in. Literally nothing of interest has happened. This is terrible.

No spoilers, but towards the end was one of the most misjudged moments I've seen in a film in years. Just reprehensible.

Aaaand it finishes on another bloc of dull finished off with a contrived and meaningless twist.

Of Netflix's three big flops this is the worst. Less sensical than Bright (some strawberry floating how) more abhorrent than Cloverfield.

What a shame.

tbc

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Floex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 am

While I don’t think Mute is a great movie it atleast has personality to pull it through. Skarsgård, Rudd & Theroux atleast added something with their performances that atleast helped me be entertained somewhat throughout which can’t be said about Altered Carbon.

I was hearing about certain plot points like the armish. The reason that is because Jones went to school in Ohio, trouble is I have no idea what it adds to the story. Same with the sci fi element, cool setting but what does it bring? It’s a film about parenting which I think partly resembles Jones’s own chaotic upbringing and it’s ties to Berlin but it just doesn’t come together as a whole.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 am

Looks like Jones spent last night retweeting every positive tweet review he could find.Amongst the more mind boggling is William "Neuromancer" Gibson saying Mute out Blade Runners Blade Runner 2049. To even mention these two films in the same sentence is doing a huge disservice to the latter.

I do feel bad for the guy, it can't be easy waking up to find your 20 year passion project has been utterly trashed (currently on 8% on Rotten Tomatoes) but, unfortunately, it really does deserve those sort of scores.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Suffocate Peon
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Arv

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Suffocate Peon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am

Central relationship at the beginning is so trite it made me wonder if Duncan Jones' whole desire to make this film was because he found it poignant and moving. [Sort of like how David Fincher's old man who grew up with young girl, he de-ages, she ages, at some point they meet isn't it moving no actually it's creepy. That..except none of the evident technical skill in the execution.] Mute man who carves dolphins out of wood with dangerous woman who disappears and despite being unconvincingly mocked wherever he goes by Noel Clarke and that guy who used to be Eastenders he's committed to finding her. And was that Charlie from Lost?

And paedophillia was added to be edgey and dark.

Feels more like the pilot of a TV show than a film, and if it was I'm sure the critic response would be more positive, suggesting 'if you just cut out nearly everything there's a decent show in here'.

I had a break an hour in knowing there was an hour left yet it seemed to find an extra 15 minutes two times when I was sure it would end, like a magic trick. The more it went on the more flashbacks I got to The Snowman.

BTW, I loved Valerian, third favourite film of the year after Mother and Bad Genius. Yeah, I loved Mother.

User avatar
Suffocate Peon
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Arv

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Suffocate Peon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am

Without wanting to sound sociopathic I don't feel sorry for Duncan Jones. He got to make his film, have it reviewed and seen by millions (eventually). He got all this despite the premise being so weak to be barely there, and without needing to rewrite the script and understand what he's trying to say. It might be a passion project but that doesn't mean this is something he's really worked at, because it clearly isn't. It's great Netflix give a platform for original films to independent filmmakers, but maybe to have the sense of why something is appealing to you isn't enough. And someone needed to block this film from happening so Duncan could figure it out further. Then again maybe there's a wider meaning no one sees and the poorness of the execution devalues it.

I'm totally aware how difficult it is to make a convincing film because I can see how poor the directing and dialogue is yet have no idea how to make it better*. You know when you see quality and when you don't, just not easy to understand the decisions and methods.

*not quite no idea..

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Floex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:27 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Looks like Jones spent last night retweeting every positive tweet review he could find.Amongst the more mind boggling is William "Neuromancer" Gibson saying Mute out Blade Runners Blade Runner 2049. To even mention these two films in the same sentence is doing a huge disservice to the latter.

I do feel bad for the guy, it can't be easy waking up to find your 20 year passion project has been utterly trashed (currently on 8% on Rotten Tomatoes) but, unfortunately, it really does deserve those sort of scores.


I mean, that is absolutely insanity. I don’t even know how you can even compare the films. When I read comments like “Altered Carbon should have been the sequel to Blade Runner” there are just opinions where I will be forever in puzzlement.

Suffocate Peon wrote:BTW, I loved Valerian, third favourite film of the year after Mother and Bad Genius. Yeah, I loved Mother.


Case in point.

User avatar
Suffocate Peon
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Arv

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Suffocate Peon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Floex wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Looks like Jones spent last night retweeting every positive tweet review he could find.Amongst the more mind boggling is William "Neuromancer" Gibson saying Mute out Blade Runners Blade Runner 2049. To even mention these two films in the same sentence is doing a huge disservice to the latter.

I do feel bad for the guy, it can't be easy waking up to find your 20 year passion project has been utterly trashed (currently on 8% on Rotten Tomatoes) but, unfortunately, it really does deserve those sort of scores.


I mean, that is absolutely insanity. I don’t even know how you can even compare the films. When I read comments like “Altered Carbon should have been the sequel to Blade Runner” there are just opinions where I will be forever in puzzlement.

Suffocate Peon wrote:BTW, I loved Valerian, third favourite film of the year after Mother and Bad Genius. Yeah, I loved Mother.


Case in point.


What is your point ?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 pm

(I actually liked Valerian. I reckon it's going to be a future cult classic a la Fifth Element)

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Floex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 pm

The internet is out of its mind.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm

If you put Valerian next to Mute, Valerian literally becomes Star Wars

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Alvin Flummux » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 pm

What happens if you put Star Wars next to Mute?

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Duncan Jones' Mute Coming to Netflix 23rd February
by Tafdolphin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:What happens if you put Star Wars next to Mute?


A bunch of Rick and Morty nerds appear and start chanting about burger sauce.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Dowbocop, Finish.Last, Garth, Godzilla, lex-man, Pedz, Preezy, PuppetBoy, Rightey, Saint of Killers, Ste, That's not a growth, Tsunade, Vermilion and 63 guests