EDGE #315

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Buffalo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 am

“An industry in crisis”


Ok.

Image
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by NickSCFC » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Gemini73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.


Perhaps they're talking about the AAA side of the industry specifically? Sales of AAA games are nowhere near what they used to be, trust in large publishers like EA and WB are at an all time low with full price games offering bare bones content on release where gamers are expected to shell out almost the same price again to flesh out their new game. Loot boxes, pay to win mechanics in full price titles, a lack of creativity and so on. Not sure crisis is the right word, but something's definitely not right.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Hime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.


Perhaps they're talking about the AAA side of the industry specifically? Sales of AAA games are nowhere near what they used to be, trust in large publishers like EA and WB are at an all time low with full price games offering bare bones content on release where gamers are expected to shell out almost the same price again to flesh out their new game. Loot boxes, pay to win mechanics in full price titles, a lack of creativity and so on. Not sure crisis is the right word, but something's definitely not right.

I can't think of a year with so many excellent AAA games with an almost intimidating amount of content. Even if you're talking about the obvious loot box candidates of Battlefront 2, Shadow of War and Call of Duty, calling these games bare bones is crazy. Are there any overall sales figures for the video games industry? I'd be willing to bet that it's as healthy as ever but sales are simply spread around the vast amount of games available.

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Gemini73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Hime wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.


Perhaps they're talking about the AAA side of the industry specifically? Sales of AAA games are nowhere near what they used to be, trust in large publishers like EA and WB are at an all time low with full price games offering bare bones content on release where gamers are expected to shell out almost the same price again to flesh out their new game. Loot boxes, pay to win mechanics in full price titles, a lack of creativity and so on. Not sure crisis is the right word, but something's definitely not right.

I can't think of a year with so many excellent AAA games with an almost intimidating amount of content. Even if you're talking about the obvious loot box candidates of Battlefront 2, Shadow of War and Call of Duty, calling these games bare bones is crazy. Are there any overall sales figures for the video games industry? I'd be willing to bet that it's as healthy as ever but sales are simply spread around the vast amount of games available.


We'll maybe Edge are talking chuff then and along with much of the gaming media, including YouTube celebrities like Jim Sterling, perhaps much of the negativity floating about has been blown out of proportion? I honestly don't know, mate.

As for AAA game sales I was always under the impression they'd taken a hit over the last few years or so, but I suspect you're right about sales being more spread out.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Buffalo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Here we go.

Image
User avatar
Frosty the Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Frosty the Clarkman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Good to see some attention for Gorogoa. 9 feels about right. Highly recommended - unique and unforgettable experience.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Hime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Hime wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.


Perhaps they're talking about the AAA side of the industry specifically? Sales of AAA games are nowhere near what they used to be, trust in large publishers like EA and WB are at an all time low with full price games offering bare bones content on release where gamers are expected to shell out almost the same price again to flesh out their new game. Loot boxes, pay to win mechanics in full price titles, a lack of creativity and so on. Not sure crisis is the right word, but something's definitely not right.

I can't think of a year with so many excellent AAA games with an almost intimidating amount of content. Even if you're talking about the obvious loot box candidates of Battlefront 2, Shadow of War and Call of Duty, calling these games bare bones is crazy. Are there any overall sales figures for the video games industry? I'd be willing to bet that it's as healthy as ever but sales are simply spread around the vast amount of games available.


We'll maybe Edge are talking chuff then and along with much of the gaming media, including YouTube celebrities like Jim Sterling, perhaps much of the negativity floating about has been blown out of proportion? I honestly don't know, mate.

As for AAA game sales I was always under the impression they'd taken a hit over the last few years or so, but I suspect you're right about sales being more spread out.

To be fair I imagine Edge aren't being serious, they are in the business of selling magazines after all.

Buffalo wrote:Here we go.

What's the matter with you?

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Gemini73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Hime wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Hime wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Outside the lot of bullshit I don't think the industry's ever been healthier.

I'm guessing they're talking about a "crisis" of creativity.


Perhaps they're talking about the AAA side of the industry specifically? Sales of AAA games are nowhere near what they used to be, trust in large publishers like EA and WB are at an all time low with full price games offering bare bones content on release where gamers are expected to shell out almost the same price again to flesh out their new game. Loot boxes, pay to win mechanics in full price titles, a lack of creativity and so on. Not sure crisis is the right word, but something's definitely not right.

I can't think of a year with so many excellent AAA games with an almost intimidating amount of content. Even if you're talking about the obvious loot box candidates of Battlefront 2, Shadow of War and Call of Duty, calling these games bare bones is crazy. Are there any overall sales figures for the video games industry? I'd be willing to bet that it's as healthy as ever but sales are simply spread around the vast amount of games available.


We'll maybe Edge are talking chuff then and along with much of the gaming media, including YouTube celebrities like Jim Sterling, perhaps much of the negativity floating about has been blown out of proportion? I honestly don't know, mate.

As for AAA game sales I was always under the impression they'd taken a hit over the last few years or so, but I suspect you're right about sales being more spread out.

To be fair I imagine Edge aren't being serious, they are in the business of selling magazines after all.


I haven't read Edge in quite some time so don't know how it comes across these days, although it would be interesting to see why they think the industry is in crisis.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by HSH28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Gemini73 wrote:I haven't read Edge in quite some time so don't know how it comes across these days, although it would be interesting to see why they think the industry is in crisis.


Opening of the article...

Amid scandal over loot boxes and aggressive monetisation, players are struggling to put their trust in videogames. Can Keita Takahasi and a new wave of indie developers make the world a better place?


They obviously single out Battlefront II and the coverage they gave it, saying that they would have been better off giving preview coverage to a game you'd never heard of, that you might have been excited about.

Really though its nothing new. There have always been big games that disappointed or didn't offer value for money, I'm not totally sure how EDGE (or anyone) is supposed to know a game is going to be aggressively monetised to the detriment of gameplay, before its actually released.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Gemini73 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:30 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:I haven't read Edge in quite some time so don't know how it comes across these days, although it would be interesting to see why they think the industry is in crisis.


Opening of the article...

Amid scandal over loot boxes and aggressive monetisation, players are struggling to put their trust in videogames. Can Keita Takahasi and a new wave of indie developers make the world a better place?


They obviously single out Battlefront II and the coverage they gave it, saying that they would have been better off giving preview coverage to a game you'd never heard of, that you might have been excited about.

Really though its nothing new. There have always been big games that disappointed or didn't offer value for money, I'm not totally sure how EDGE (or anyone) is supposed to know a game is going to be aggressively monetised to the detriment of gameplay, before its actually released.


Cheers, Hugo.

Well you'd hope the whole SWBF 2 scenario might encourage the the games media to be a little more sceptical toward big game publishers, but I doubt it. If Edge are sincere, however, they might be the exception.

If anything it's got me buying Edge tomorrow.:)

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Gemini73 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:09 pm

So I bought this issue. Good read so far. Just about to begin the cover story.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
PsychicSykes
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Sykes Stadium

PostRe: EDGE #315
by PsychicSykes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Cuphead not winning best visual design :lol:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: EDGE #315
by Preezy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:28 pm

PsychicSykes wrote:Cuphead not winning best visual design :lol:

Not even being a runner up :fp:


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ho-Ho-Ho-tek, Parksey, Xeno and 53 guests