The Football Thread 2017-18

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Should the Title reflect Titles/cups on the same day?

Yes
37
54%
No
32
46%
 
Total votes: 69
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll in OP.
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm

DML wrote:
Pedz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
DML wrote:
<]:^D wrote:i dont think its unreasonable to leave off until 24 hours afterwards.
im trying to be realistic - if youve not watched the game/highlights that evening then youre too late as something else wouldve given the result away by that point.
for example i record Champs League as i have work late on Wed evenings - if the football thread title had the result in it then my whole 90 mins recording is worthless pretty much.
people do things differently, dont ruin others enjoyment when its no skin off your nose.


I just don't understand why you would come on GRCade TBH. To try blame Photek for that when its a common practice is to me very, very low.


It’s a bit much to say somebody shouldn’t even look at the forum until they have watched the game/highlights.

If somebody reads the thread and sees a “spoiler” then that’s tough luck, but I don’t see the harm with keeping spoilers out of the thread title.

This is hilarious though. :lol:


I'm going to start threads of games and put the endings in the titles. I wonder if people will be happy with that. Before people say it's not the same, it is, the end of result of something you enjoy has been spoiled. If people complain, they can avoid GRcade until they have played the game.


It really, really isn't the same as that but okay.


Yeah, DML is right, that’s nowhere near the same. A game spoiler would always be a spoiler, a football result isn’t.

It’s fair to keep it out of the title for a day or so just in case somebody wants to watch MotD without knowing the result.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by DML » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Pedz wrote:WHy, because you say so?


Because its an live event not something people finish at different times.

Image
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Rex Kramer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Can nobody put the result of this argument in the thread title as I don't want to spoil the next 6 pages. Thx.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

The end result of something being spoiled is the same, no matter what.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

I don't even know why I posted in here, I don't like football, and have never posted in a football thread before on any forum ;/

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Denster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:16 pm

It’s not the same at all. If you really really wanted to watch the United v West Brom game that much - you’d take every step to ensure you avoided it.
It’s something we all thought was a joke but it’s now turned this thread into a shitfest. All because one little snowflake missed out on watching a highlights show.
The fact that the same little snowflake has now bleated enough to cause this shitstorm is an bigger joke.

Ludicrous.

10, <];^D
The SS shitlist.
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Denster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Pedz wrote:I don't even know why I posted in here, I don't like football, and have never posted in a football thread before on any forum ;/



You’ve posted because everyone gets drawn to a shitfest.

10, <];^D
The SS shitlist.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Denster wrote:It’s not the same at all. If you really really wanted to watch the United v West Brom game that much - you’d take every step to ensure you avoided it.
It’s something we all thought was a joke but it’s now turned this thread into a shitfest. All because one little snowflake missed out on watching a highlights show.
The fact that the same little snowflake has now bleated enough to cause this shitstorm is an bigger joke.

Ludicrous.


So, when you next play a game, you will avoid the internet in its entirety to avoid spoilers?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Pedz wrote:The end result of something being spoiled is the same, no matter what.


The end of a game/movie/tv show/book would be a spoiler no matter when it was posted.

A football result isn’t. Nobody would consider “England won the 1966 World Cup” a spoiler, but they might consider it a spoiler that at the end of Pac-Man it’s revealed that his pills were ecstasy and you’re now banned from the Olympic Games.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Frank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Denster wrote:All because one little snowflake missed out on watching a highlights show.
The fact that the same little snowflake has now bleated enough to cause this shitstorm is an bigger joke.


Denny is triggered :shifty:

Image
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Hyperion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Pedz wrote:
Denster wrote:It’s not the same at all. If you really really wanted to watch the United v West Brom game that much - you’d take every step to ensure you avoided it.
It’s something we all thought was a joke but it’s now turned this thread into a shitfest. All because one little snowflake missed out on watching a highlights show.
The fact that the same little snowflake has now bleated enough to cause this shitstorm is an bigger joke.

Ludicrous.


So, when you next play a game, you will avoid the internet in its entirety to avoid spoilers?


No, but games aren't fixed time events like a football match

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Hime » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Pedz wrote:
Denster wrote:It’s not the same at all. If you really really wanted to watch the United v West Brom game that much - you’d take every step to ensure you avoided it.
It’s something we all thought was a joke but it’s now turned this thread into a shitfest. All because one little snowflake missed out on watching a highlights show.
The fact that the same little snowflake has now bleated enough to cause this shitstorm is an bigger joke.

Ludicrous.


So, when you next play a game, you will avoid the internet in its entirety to avoid spoilers?

If I was as sensitive as #'G?}, yes.

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Moggy wrote:
Pedz wrote:The end result of something being spoiled is the same, no matter what.


The end of a game/movie/tv show/book would be a spoiler no matter when it was posted.

A football result isn’t. Nobody would consider “England won the 1966 World Cup” a spoiler, but they might consider it a spoiler that at the end of Pac-Man it’s revealed that his pills were ecstasy and you’re now banned from the Olympic Games.


Posting the result moments after the game has finished is.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Moggy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Pedz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Pedz wrote:The end result of something being spoiled is the same, no matter what.


The end of a game/movie/tv show/book would be a spoiler no matter when it was posted.

A football result isn’t. Nobody would consider “England won the 1966 World Cup” a spoiler, but they might consider it a spoiler that at the end of Pac-Man it’s revealed that his pills were ecstasy and you’re now banned from the Olympic Games.


Posting the result moments after the game has finished is.


Yes, that’s why I said the results shouldn’t be in the thread title for a day or so.

And that’s why it’s different from the ending of a game.

User avatar
PaperMacheMario
Member
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by PaperMacheMario » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Poncho wrote:Some of you are so strawberry floating weird.

Some people don't want results of games in the thread title, what's the big deal? It literally requires more effort to put it in the thread title. And all doing that does is spoil the result for people that don't want to know and has precisely zero impact on the people who don't give a gooseberry fool. If you want to know or discuss it, go into the thread itself. Telling people to stay off the forum is so dumb for obvious reasons I only want to address it by mentioning how stupid it is.

And for the record: I don't care about hearing results before I've had a chance to watch a game. But some people do so just accommodate them.

100% this. Obviously Photek isn’t at fault here either as it was totally innocent, but going forward why can’t we wait until the next day? Like, what are the downsides to that?

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Denster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm

I say we stand by the decision of the poll. Since we are actually intent on debating it.

Those who have no interest in football and are just enjoying or stoking the aggro. Feel free to vote to.

10, <];^D
The SS shitlist.
User avatar
PaperMacheMario
Member
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by PaperMacheMario » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm

But why do any of you want the title change to reflect the events of that day? It only has the chance to negatively affect people, there are no situations in which it positively affects someone.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Denster wrote:I say we stand by the decision of the poll. Since we are actually intent on debating it.

Those who have no interest in football and are just enjoying or stoking the aggro. Feel free to vote to.


I won't be voting, because tbh, I shouldn't have got involved at all, I have no stakes in any of this, and tbf I'm being a pissy bitch cause I'm in pain due to a toothache and haven't taken my anti-psychotics for a while.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by bear » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

If people want to have a reasonable discussion about what constitutes a spoiler when it comes to football or how long after a result someone should wait before changing the thread title then that's fine.


Calling someone a banana split when they've just done the same as previous thread runners and then doubling down on that with some half baked theory that the thread runner was acting maliciously by changing the title isn't fine.

User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Football Thread 17/18 - Thread Title Poll added.
by KingK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Has someone told the BBC, SkySportsNews, ESPN, Eurosport, etc to spoiler their results in case people don't want to know the results? No of course not. They report the result of big games, whether league, cup finals or tournament matches as soon as the final whistle blows.

Facebook, Twitter, etc will also have the results as well as intra-game stats and progress too.

If I choose to tune into one of their programs or go on their website or apps then surely I am putting myself in the position that I will see said result whether I want to or not. It is my responsibility to not allow myself to view them or anything that can spoil any plans I may have to not know the score scored before MOTD starts surely?

The same is surely the same on GR. If you don't want to know the result of a game in this modern era of instant comms then don't subject yourself to it. Stay away from Stuff/Off Topic until such time as you're ready to know the result.

I say carry on with updating the thread title asap. Wish it was done more tbh

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, BAKA, BTB, Bunni, Google [Bot], Kriken, lex-man, Rich, Slimgrady, The Watching Artist, Tsunade, wensleydale, Wrathy and 64 guests