Fortnite Battle Royale - Season 7 starts with new areas, a Plane, Weapon/Vehicle skins & Creative. The Block announced.

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Hexx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Presumably it means "You can't turn Voice Chat off on your internet connection by default"

Because of course you can't.

That'll be the next thing "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" want done.

If it's the same story from a week ago it was some mother letting her 9 year old play at 12+ at 10pm at night or some such ridiculousness.

BE A BETTER PARENT

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by DarkRula » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm

This one is specifically targeting Fortnite, saying that a man was trying to get this kid to put a headset on to cyber-sex with him, asking if he had a fanny and if he knew what sex was. Well, that was the claim anyway. As well as the fact kids are openly talking about these people when discussing the game in schools...

Image
Image
User avatar
Rik_
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Rik_ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 pm

The obvious fix is educating kids to report and block people who do stuff like that. If it's as big a problem as the tabloids would love to believe then the reports will stack up, action can be taken and hey presto, no more fortnite paedos. Sensationalising and trying to get the game taken away or whatever (how many parents are going to see that headline, not dig any further and ban their kid from playing?) just causes friction and makes the kids less likely to say if something does happen.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Sleighamorph » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:54 am


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am

How has youtube not deleted those videos?

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Hime » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am

Riksilver wrote:The obvious fix is educating kids to report and block people who do stuff like that. If it's as big a problem as the tabloids would love to believe then the reports will stack up, action can be taken and hey presto, no more fortnite paedos. Sensationalising and trying to get the game taken away or whatever (how many parents are going to see that headline, not dig any further and ban their kid from playing?) just causes friction and makes the kids less likely to say if something does happen.

This definitely seems like the sensible option, the internet isn't going anywhere so better to prepare and educate children.

Image
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by DarkRula » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 am

They all seem like clickbait to me. I remember seeing a video like that for FIFA, I think it was, and skipping through it hardly anything happened. It's just yet another form of clickbait that attracts the wrong sort of people.

Image
Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Tomous » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 am

With his 13 year old sister...what the actual strawberry float?

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Death's Head » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Back on topic, downloaded and had a couple of games of this today. Is there anywhere that provides a quick intro on building etc? I was playing squads and when I managed to meet up with the other players in my squad, they were building all sorts of structures. Also, when you get knocked out (and can crawl) does it wear off or does someone have to revive you? All that building stuff seems a pain when you are not familiar with it and the matchmaking needs to match people based on level otherwise this is very off putting when you are trying to understand the mechanics of the game.

Yes?
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am

When you are knocked down you need a team mate to revive you just like - The Division, Gears of War, PUBG, Borderlands, Halo, Destiny and many many games.

Basic building is simple enough, putting windows and doors in though, I have no idea, luckily my mate is a whizz.

The same mate btw, used to champion this game over PUBG but now he's dropped it for PUBG saying it's more or less all about jumping shotguns. He probably spent €30 on stuff for Fortnite though so EPIC will be happy enough.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Played this tonight, every single fight ended in jumpy shotguns. Every. single. Fight.

The game is absolute garbage, PUBG gooseberry fools all over it.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Mafro » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:54 pm

I can't wait for PUBG on PS4.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by DarkRula » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm

I never look for fights I know I can't win. Even if it means I'm not prepared to face the realities of someone with a heap of goods. I once managed to hit the top ten with nothing but a rifle and a very good sense of survival. Once also used a port-a-fort to escape a fight without realising the other person could enter and jump up. Didn't end well at all.

Image
Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Parksey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 am

Photek wrote:Played this tonight, every single fight ended in jumpy shotguns. Every. single. Fight.

The game is absolute garbage, PUBG gooseberry fools all over it.


Didn't you moan about people coming in to the Sea of Thieves thread and only mentioning it's obvious flaws?

You've mentioned jumpy shotguns three or four times now, but just wondering how that is different from people calling out SOT for being content-light and repetitive?

I probably agree with you on the gunplay being somewhat unsatisfying and have only played Fortnite a couple of times. I find the first half of the game quite compelling - namely the survival sim-esque material gathering and seeing lone figures on the horizon and trying to avoid or get the jump on other people. I find the last few moments in the tiny area a bit of a cluster strawberry float. Possibly because I'm bad at the gunplay and find it a bit loose. I don't get many kills so never get all the zany OP stuff that the last few survivors always have.

I don't know why PUBG is like as I haven't played it, but does it have the gathering/survival elements? The big difference in Fortnite is the building so you should probably focus on that and getting a whizz at constructing quickly and under the fire. That's usually how you get the jump on people, and what differentiates it from PUBG mainly.

The game clearly isn't "garbage" though due to the plaudits both it and PUBG have received.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Death's Head » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 am

The problem I have with the game is that it is unwelcoming to new players. I've never killed anyone with a gun even though I've hit people a few times but on the flip side of this, have been killed with 2 hits. How do you see which weapon does the most damage?

The 2nd problem I have is that I've been killed a few times before I even find a weapon which is BS.

This is not really a game I want to return to because it feels like everyone has been playing it for a long time and you never get put into a game with players that have a similar level of experience.

Yes?
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am

Parksey wrote:I don't know why PUBG is like as I haven't played it, but does it have the gathering/survival elements? The big difference in Fortnite is the building so you should probably focus on that and getting a whizz at constructing quickly and under the fire. That's usually how you get the jump on people, and what differentiates it from PUBG mainly.

The game clearly isn't "garbage" though due to the plaudits both it and PUBG have received.

Try and think of this as directly ripping off PUBG and adding in Pixar characters.

First off in PUBG the Island itself is about 10 times the size of this with still only 100 players, the main difference is PUBG has cars/boats/bikes to use. If you want, you can quite easily jump to a different place in PUBG's map and loot away to your hearts content without seeing another player for 10-15 minutes, possibly longer if you land within the circle (impossible in Fortnite). You can lie down in PUBG which makes checking out your environment extremely beneficial. You also have the ability to Check 360 degree's around you while running (or 180deg in First Person).

I have played Fortnite more than most here (I've 20 Chicken Royales to my name), I've clocked in many many hours, so your insinuation that me criticizing this as the same as the first 2 weeks in the Sea of Thieves thread is not at all true.

Because I've played it many hours I have seen how this game has evolved. It was first about shooting, then with a bit of building, now it's building mostly and shooting also. The major crux of the issue I have is that pump action shot guns are over powered, so what people do is build a fort, and when people who aren't in the circle run into it, you're confronted with forts, go near one and its jumpy shotguns till you die. You get the odd sniper shot but 9/10 is jumping around with a shotgun.

In PUBG I die several ways, my car can be exploded by gunfire, tyre's blown out so it flips, killing me, sniped from a mile away, point blanked by a Shotgun, SMG's, Rifles, Grenades, flash banged then shot. The Major difference is that all the buildings are permanent which encourages hunkering down. Having a full 4 players squad holding down a house in final circles is amazing, trying to take a house in same instance is also amazing. It's combat is visceral and tactical, taking a house with grenades, co-ordinated cover points is great, but being a battle royale game, plans can go awry if another squad shows up, it's the unpredictability that has infinite replay value.

I've praised this game many times in this thread, at a point in time I played this and PUBG in rotation nightly but I have had to drop this because even if I'm doing well, I had to do it by jumping around like a lunatic with a shot gun, something that isn't possible in PUBG. Also the island in this is WAY too small. The Dynamic has changed from what this was, after the first circle is gone more than half the players are killed, something unheard of only a few months ago.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
As Fat as Santa
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by As Fat as Santa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:27 am

Directly ripping off PUBG? Not really, it's a very different game, unless PUBG directly ripped off H!z1, did it Photek?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am

Pedz wrote:Directly ripping off PUBG? Not really, it's a very different game, unless PUBG directly ripped off H!z1, did it Photek?

Brendan Greene is responsible for Battle Royale in H1Z1. You realise he's Player Unknown right?

He wanted to make a Battle Royale game from the ground up rather than mod another game. How can he copy his own game?

This is a rip off, it was failing until they added this mode in. Nobody played the main game at all.

It has it's own building mechanic from its base game but if PUBG didn't exist, BR in this certainly would not.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
As Fat as Santa
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by As Fat as Santa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 am

Photek wrote:
Pedz wrote:Directly ripping off PUBG? Not really, it's a very different game, unless PUBG directly ripped off H!z1, did it Photek?

Brendan Greene is responsible for Battle Royale in H1Z1. You realise he's Player Unknown right?

He wanted to make a Battle Royale game from the ground up rather than mod another game. How can he copy his own game?

This is a rip off, it was failing until they added this mode in. Nobody played the main game at all.


It isn't a rip off though, that's like saying Forza is a rip off of Gran turismo, because they both are car games where you go around a track. It's a genre that was started before PUBG, that is a fact you have to deal with.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Fortnite (Epic's new I.P.)
by Floex » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:40 am

Photek wrote:
Parksey wrote:I don't know why PUBG is like as I haven't played it, but does it have the gathering/survival elements? The big difference in Fortnite is the building so you should probably focus on that and getting a whizz at constructing quickly and under the fire. That's usually how you get the jump on people, and what differentiates it from PUBG mainly.

The game clearly isn't "garbage" though due to the plaudits both it and PUBG have received.

Try and think of this as directly ripping off PUBG and adding in Pixar characters.

First off in PUBG the Island itself is about 10 times the size of this with still only 100 players, the main difference is PUBG has cars/boats/bikes to use. If you want, you can quite easily jump to a different place in PUBG's map and loot away to your hearts content without seeing another player for 10-15 minutes, possibly longer if you land within the circle (impossible in Fortnite). You can lie down in PUBG which makes checking out your environment extremely beneficial. You also have the ability to Check 360 degree's around you while running (or 180deg in First Person).

I have played Fortnite more than most here (I've 20 Chicken Royales to my name), I've clocked in many many hours, so your insinuation that me criticizing this as the same as the first 2 weeks in the Sea of Thieves thread is not at all true.

Because I've played it many hours I have seen how this game has evolved. It was first about shooting, then with a bit of building, now it's building mostly and shooting also. The major crux of the issue I have is that pump action shot guns are over powered, so what people do is build a fort, and when people who aren't in the circle run into it, you're confronted with forts, go near one and its jumpy shotguns till you die. You get the odd sniper shot but 9/10 is jumping around with a shotgun.

In PUBG I die several ways, my car can be exploded by gunfire, tyre's blown out so it flips, killing me, sniped from a mile away, point blanked by a Shotgun, SMG's, Rifles, Grenades, flash banged then shot. The Major difference is that all the buildings are permanent which encourages hunkering down. Having a full 4 players squad holding down a house in final circles is amazing, trying to take a house in same instance is also amazing. It's combat is visceral and tactical, taking a house with grenades, co-ordinated cover points is great, but being a battle royale game, plans can go awry if another squad shows up, it's the unpredictability that has infinite replay value.

I've praised this game many times in this thread, at a point in time I played this and PUBG in rotation nightly but I have had to drop this because even if I'm doing well, I had to do it by jumping around like a lunatic with a shot gun, something that isn't possible in PUBG. Also the island in this is WAY too small. The Dynamic has changed from what this was, after the first circle is gone more than half the players are killed, something unheard of only a few months ago.


Image


Return to “Games”