GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Gemini73 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am

On console I'm probably 60-40 digital vs physical. Now I have swiched back to Virgin Media with their 200Mbps package (yesterday in fact) I can see that figure moving even more in favour of digital. Until Dawn took under an hour to download in its entirety. Much, much faster than what I've been used to.

I'll still buy the odd new physical release on ps4 as PSN is quite pricey for new titles. Generally though I'd prefer to wait for a price cut on PSN. Trading in physical copies is a waste of time these days as you'll often get very little in return.

PC is 100% digital, naturally.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Moggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 am

Photek wrote:No, erm you mention it hasn't been on sale for a good price, I just meme'd that it's 50% off my dude.

My gif is my reaction to you missing the point.


No, erm I mentioned it hadn't been on sale for a good price, 50% off of £55 for a 4 year old game that I have already owned twice is not a good price.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Photek » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 am

Image

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Moggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am

Photek wrote:Why so serious dude? The actual price isn't the point.


I like being serious.

The price is quite literally the point. The game could be on sale for 99% off, but if the full price is £100,000 then I wouldn't consider it a great sale price.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Trelliz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am

Moggy wrote:
Photek wrote:Why so serious dude? The actual price isn't the point.


I like being serious.

The price is quite literally the point. The game could be on sale for 99% off, but if the full price is £100,000 then I wouldn't consider it a great sale price.


You forget this is a microsoft sale and is therefore the best sale of the year and all years.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Moggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 am

Trelliz wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Photek wrote:Why so serious dude? The actual price isn't the point.


I like being serious.

The price is quite literally the point. The game could be on sale for 99% off, but if the full price is £100,000 then I wouldn't consider it a great sale price.


You forget this is a microsoft sale and is therefore the best sale of the year and all years.


But it's 50% off! :shock:

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Pedz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am

I like buying discs, I would like to get more. I tend to rent games and the ones I like I buy when cheap when it comes to consoles. PC is different I don't get the same thing with discs unfortunately.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Photek » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 am

Ah the 'I love MS' meme. Spicy.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Moggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:17 am

Image

User avatar
JNR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Britain

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by JNR » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Have you got any switches?

'No'. Happened five times, probably not their fault, but they lost business.

Ok, I'll just take Breath of the Wild on Wii U.

'Ok, we only have it pre-owned. That will be £56'

'Argos are selling it NEW for £50.'

'Yeah...we know...'

Hardly surprised they are struggling. The guy in the Leamington Spa branch is a decent guy but the stock level outside the casual market is none existent.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Lagamorph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 pm

GAME are getting less and less interested in, well, games. If it's not Fifa/CoD/Battlefield they don't really give a gooseberry fool. There's way more profit for them in second hand games where they just get what they're given, second hand mobile phones and random gaming related tat that now occupies most of the stores. The branches near me dedicate less than half of the actual floorspace to games, and less than half of that to new games.
There's one branch near me where they halved the size of the store to turn the back section into some PC Gaming arena as well where you can pay to play PC games.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Trelliz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Lagamorph wrote:GAME are getting less and less interested in, well, games. If it's not Fifa/CoD/Battlefield they don't really give a gooseberry fool. There's way more profit for them in second hand games where they just get what they're given, second hand mobile phones and random gaming related tat that now occupies most of the stores. The branches near me dedicate less than half of the actual floorspace to games, and less than half of that to new games.
There's one branch near me where they halved the size of the store to turn the back section into some PC Gaming arena as well where you can pay to play PC games.


The one nearest me still has a big wall display for infinite warfare, nearly a year on.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by KK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Second hand phones and tablets in the window of the GAME in Sutton, making it no different to CEX or Cash Converters. Actually, at least CEX had a £25 PlayStation in the window. GAME have opted for a PS4 Pro in their other display. It's off, of course. Just as the Xbox One and PS4 are always off in the store.

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Gemini73 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Now Square-Enix are reporting strong digital sales, but declining physical sales.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/square-e ... ng/0185550

One has to wonder why Ashley bought 26% of Game shares when physical games are, let's face it, going the way of the DoDo.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by OrangeRakoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 pm

JNR wrote:Hardly surprised they are struggling. The guy in the Leamington Spa branch is a decent guy but the stock level outside the casual market is none existent.


To give a counter example of sorts, Game was the only place (between Argos, Sainsburys, HMV, an independent game shop, and themselves) that had Ever Oasis on 3DS and Fate Extella on Switch in stock recently.

They did appear to only have a single copy of both, but yeah. At least I got them!

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Lagamorph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
JNR wrote:Hardly surprised they are struggling. The guy in the Leamington Spa branch is a decent guy but the stock level outside the casual market is none existent.


To give a counter example of sorts, Game was the only place (between Argos, Sainsburys, HMV, an independent game shop, and themselves) that had Ever Oasis on 3DS and Fate Extella on Switch in stock recently.

They did appear to only have a single copy of both, but yeah. At least I got them!

How is Fate Extella on the Switch? I've been looking at it but thinking I'll wait until I can get it sub-£25, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen for the Switch version.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Preezy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Now Square-Enix are reporting strong digital sales, but declining physical sales.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/square-e ... ng/0185550

One has to wonder why Ashley bought 26% of Game shares when physical games are, let's face it, going the way of the DoDo.

He probably knows strawberry float all about gaming and the trend to digital and just thinks he can make a quick buck.

GAME is in a genuine death spiral, it's not going to last.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by jawafour » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Preezy wrote:...(Ashley) probably knows strawberry float all about gaming and the trend to digital and just thinks he can make a quick buck...

Although I am definitely not a fan of the guy, he does seem to be a pretty shrewd businessman. When making the purchase, I suspect that he was looking at the value of many of the shop locations rather than at the gaming business.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Lagamorph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm

jawafour wrote:
Preezy wrote:...(Ashley) probably knows strawberry float all about gaming and the trend to digital and just thinks he can make a quick buck...

Although I am definitely not a fan of the guy, he does seem to be a pretty shrewd businessman. When making the purchase, I suspect that he was looking at the value of many of the shop locations rather than at the gaming business.

Yeah most likely he's looking to full on convert them to CeX type stores after seeing how well they're doing, he's probably just waiting for the company to be on the actual verge of going under so he can buy out the rest of it dirt cheap.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%
by Preezy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm

jawafour wrote:
Preezy wrote:...(Ashley) probably knows strawberry float all about gaming and the trend to digital and just thinks he can make a quick buck...

Although I am definitely not a fan of the guy, he does seem to be a pretty shrewd businessman. When making the purchase, I suspect that he was looking at the value of many of the shop locations rather than at the gaming business.

Yeah you're probably right, jawa. Before it know it every GAME will have a Sports Direct section :dread:

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, black stig, Finish.Last, Google [Bot], IAmTheSaladMan, Lagamorph, lex-man, Trelliz and 42 guests