GAME Shares "Collapse"; Sports Direct owner purchases 26%

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by KK » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:03 pm

GRcade Boutique - Where we leave the customer to just get the strawberry float on with it.
Image
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Brighton

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by PatSharpsMullet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:26 pm

I bought Rayman Origins from them instore today, but only because I had a £15 gift card that was given to me in March. I picked up the copy that they had mistakingly put a £39.99 sticker on instead of the others which had £42.99 stickers on. It went through the till at the higher price but as soon as I pointed it out, the girl behind the till reduced it to the lower price for me. :) Hopefully no one will ever give me one of their gift cards again.
Image
User avatar
Atreyu
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Atreyu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Just signed up to The Share Centre and when the markets open at 8am tomorrow morning I will own £100 worth of shares in GAME :shifty:

I'm tempted to take a similar gamble here.

Given the current share price I thought it was worth a risk for a hundred quid. I'm hoping they'll do relatively well over the christmas period to give them a good start to going up.


it's a reasonable risk i think. It's not the sort of amount of money that will break you if they collapse but it could give a little bonus if they recover.

Really? For a £100 investment? Where the minimum transaction costs alone are going to be in the region of £7.50 (the fee for execution-only transactions on The Share Centre) so you'll have to make a whopping 15% return just to break even? And this for a company that the City (where they have a large professional staff who do this for a living) thinks is going down the toilet?

Take your money to the casino instead and plonk it all on red. It'll be about as rewarding, not to mention a fun evening out. And they might provide you with a free drink to boot!
"I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse." Allen
User avatar
Cosmo
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Cosmo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 pm

PatSharpsMullet wrote:I bought Rayman Origins from them instore today, but only because I had a £15 gift card that was given to me in March. I picked up the copy that they had mistakingly put a £39.99 sticker on instead of the others which had £42.99 stickers on. It went through the till at the higher price but as soon as I pointed it out, the girl behind the till reduced it to the lower price for me. :) Hopefully no one will ever give me one of their gift cards again.


Was it only one copy that had the wrong price? We only honour a price if the majority of the games have the incorrect price on them. If it was just one then you'd have no luck.
"Danny Duberstein is good at two things. That's Math, and strawberry floatin'."
Twitch - CosBroKramer
Something Fishy

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Something Fishy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Atreyu wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Just signed up to The Share Centre and when the markets open at 8am tomorrow morning I will own £100 worth of shares in GAME :shifty:

I'm tempted to take a similar gamble here.

Given the current share price I thought it was worth a risk for a hundred quid. I'm hoping they'll do relatively well over the christmas period to give them a good start to going up.


it's a reasonable risk i think. It's not the sort of amount of money that will break you if they collapse but it could give a little bonus if they recover.

Really? For a £100 investment? Where the minimum transaction costs alone are going to be in the region of £7.50 (the fee for execution-only transactions on The Share Centre) so you'll have to make a whopping 15% return just to break even? And this for a company that the City (where they have a large professional staff who do this for a living) thinks is going down the toilet?

Take your money to the casino instead and plonk it all on red. It'll be about as rewarding, not to mention a fun evening out. And they might provide you with a free drink to boot!


i'm not convinced it's as big a gamble.

I guess both are gambling but i'm not talking small amounts on something that i've a feeling will come back in one form or another.

We just sold a load of shares at 19 pound per share that had slumped to 2 pounds some years ago. Sometimes it's worth a little go.

I wouldn't put any money in I couldn't afford to lose though so yes i guess it's gambling really.
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Brighton

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by PatSharpsMullet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Cosmo wrote:
PatSharpsMullet wrote:I bought Rayman Origins from them instore today, but only because I had a £15 gift card that was given to me in March. I picked up the copy that they had mistakingly put a £39.99 sticker on instead of the others which had £42.99 stickers on. It went through the till at the higher price but as soon as I pointed it out, the girl behind the till reduced it to the lower price for me. :) Hopefully no one will ever give me one of their gift cards again.


Was it only one copy that had the wrong price? We only honour a price if the majority of the games have the incorrect price on them. If it was just one then you'd have no luck.

I've no idea but I think it may have been. It was the first copy I saw but as I was entering my PIN I looked over and saw a whole display full of them priced up at £42.99. The copy I picked up was with the rest of the PS3 games. Quite glad I didn't see the display even though I walked straight past it.
Image
User avatar
JiggerJay
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by JiggerJay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Something Fishy wrote:
Atreyu wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Something Fishy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Just signed up to The Share Centre and when the markets open at 8am tomorrow morning I will own £100 worth of shares in GAME :shifty:

I'm tempted to take a similar gamble here.

Given the current share price I thought it was worth a risk for a hundred quid. I'm hoping they'll do relatively well over the christmas period to give them a good start to going up.


it's a reasonable risk i think. It's not the sort of amount of money that will break you if they collapse but it could give a little bonus if they recover.

Really? For a £100 investment? Where the minimum transaction costs alone are going to be in the region of £7.50 (the fee for execution-only transactions on The Share Centre) so you'll have to make a whopping 15% return just to break even? And this for a company that the City (where they have a large professional staff who do this for a living) thinks is going down the toilet?

Take your money to the casino instead and plonk it all on red. It'll be about as rewarding, not to mention a fun evening out. And they might provide you with a free drink to boot!


i'm not convinced it's as big a gamble.

I guess both are gambling but i'm not talking small amounts on something that i've a feeling will come back in one form or another.

We just sold a load of shares at 19 pound per share that had slumped to 2 pounds some years ago. Sometimes it's worth a little go.

I wouldn't put any money in I couldn't afford to lose though so yes i guess it's gambling really.


If they drop to 5p I'm tempted to buy 50,000 Seems like a big punt, but in all fairness, if they manage to hold out until the "next generation" arrives, I think they will see some kind of upturn.
Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Image
Instagram Twitter
User avatar
JiggerJay
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by JiggerJay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Just invested in some Thomas Cook shares... I'm just asking for trouble now.
Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Image
Instagram Twitter
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by lex-man » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Lucien wrote:
lex-man wrote:The have over sixteen million shares if I'm reading this right.


http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=LON:GMG

I don't even know. :?:


Ok according to the key facts on the Yahoo Finance page they have 344.16 million shares outstanding

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GMG.L

So that give 22.8 million market cap if you multiple by the share price. I have no idea what that Google field is about, all they may have put the decimal point in the wrong place.

You can find Games own reports at the below URL:

http://www.gamegroup.plc.uk/gmg_plc/investors/reports/

I had a brief look and it look like they did have around 344 million shares outstanding which seems crazy to me. Although it did mention that they gave shares as an employee bonus so that could be why there are so many outstanding shares. They also have audio reports that you have to sign up for.

If you check page 31 of the 2011 interim report it gives the figure of Allotted, called-up and fully paid shares as 347,461,388 (I think game PLC share in it's self which won't go towards the market cap hence the smaller figure on Yahoo).

Also there paying 1.88p dividend even though they are making a lose which seems crazy to me.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Lagamorph » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:52 pm

JiggerJay wrote:If they drop to 5p I'm tempted to buy 50,000 Seems like a big punt, but in all fairness, if they manage to hold out until the "next generation" arrives, I think they will see some kind of upturn.

That's a lot more of a risk than I'd be willing to take.

My local branch of GAME was pretty busy when I was in there today, picking up their one and only copy of Tales of the Abyss :fp:
Hopefully it's a sign of a relatively strong christmas.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by lex-man » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
JiggerJay wrote:If they drop to 5p I'm tempted to buy 50,000 Seems like a big punt, but in all fairness, if they manage to hold out until the "next generation" arrives, I think they will see some kind of upturn.

That's a lot more of a risk than I'd be willing to take.

My local branch of GAME was pretty busy when I was in there today, picking up their one and only copy of Tales of the Abyss :fp:
Hopefully it's a sign of a relatively strong christmas.


It's difficult to know what to do if cases like these. It's a real gamble if things pick up for game you stand to make a multiple of your money back easily but if not you stand to lose £2500. Although I guess if they keep paying a dividend of around 1.5p your make your money back in two years anyway.

gooseberry fool, now I'm tempted.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Lagamorph » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:09 pm

If they hit 15p I'm planning on buying another £100 worth or so, but wasn't really planning on much more than that for a good while.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
JiggerJay
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by JiggerJay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I think I'll hold out for a little while, I'm just messing about with literally no knowledge of the markets, the money I've invested in HMV is slowly dwindling, but I'm positive Thomas Cook will Rally somewhat back to a stable 40-50p (£350 of shares @ £0.12)
Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Image
Instagram Twitter
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Lucien » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 pm

JiggerJay wrote:I think I'll hold out for a little while, I'm just messing about with literally no knowledge of the markets, the money I've invested in HMV is slowly dwindling, but I'm positive Thomas Cook will Rally somewhat back to a stable 40-50p (£350 of shares @ £0.12)


You have shares in a few things right? And you do accumulators and use discount site thangs... such a Jew. ;)
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by lex-man » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Lucien wrote:
JiggerJay wrote:I think I'll hold out for a little while, I'm just messing about with literally no knowledge of the markets, the money I've invested in HMV is slowly dwindling, but I'm positive Thomas Cook will Rally somewhat back to a stable 40-50p (£350 of shares @ £0.12)


You have shares in a few things right? And you do accumulators and use discount site thangs... such a Jew. ;)


A good portfolio should have shares from a number of different sector not just retail, so it's not that great a idea. I would be more worried about Thomas Cook than HMV or Game though.
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Lucien » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 am

lex-man wrote:You can find Games own reports at the below URL:

http://www.gamegroup.plc.uk/gmg_plc/investors/reports/

I had a brief look and it look like they did have around 344 million shares outstanding which seems crazy to me. Although it did mention that they gave shares as an employee bonus so that could be why there are so many outstanding shares. They also have audio reports that you have to sign up for.

...

Also there paying 1.88p dividend even though they are making a lose which seems crazy to me.


Like most people here I'm trying more to understand how this works but, surely if dividends are paid the company is making a profit? Don't all profits go towards share dividends?

I'm going to make sense of it slowly I think, it seems like a fun idea - owning shares.
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by Lucien » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... nose-dives

In the year ending 31st Jan 2009, Game made a record pre-tax profit of £117 million. In 2010, that number was £84.21 million. In 2011, that number was £23.10 million.

Half-way through 2011, that number was minus £51.47 million. The full-year forecast is a pre-tax loss of £0.06 million.


So they are losing money... so surely no dividends were/are being paid?

£117 million --- £84.21 million --- £23.10 million ---- [minus] £60,000

Flippin' heck. And that's if they make their Christmas targets. Today, there was an article about shops slashing prices because people are holding onto their money...
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by lex-man » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 am

Lucien wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-23-game-groups-share-price-nose-dives

In the year ending 31st Jan 2009, Game made a record pre-tax profit of £117 million. In 2010, that number was £84.21 million. In 2011, that number was £23.10 million.

Half-way through 2011, that number was minus £51.47 million. The full-year forecast is a pre-tax loss of £0.06 million.


So they are losing money... so surely no dividends were/are being paid?

£117 million --- £84.21 million --- £23.10 million ---- [minus] £60,000

Flippin' heck. And that's if they make their Christmas targets. Today, there was an article about shops slashing prices because people are holding onto their money...


Most companies pay small dividends if they can even if they make a lose to keep the share holders happy and try and stave off share holder mutiny. I believe even Woolworths did just before they went bust.
User avatar
JiggerJay
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by JiggerJay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 am

lex-man wrote:
Lucien wrote:
JiggerJay wrote:I think I'll hold out for a little while, I'm just messing about with literally no knowledge of the markets, the money I've invested in HMV is slowly dwindling, but I'm positive Thomas Cook will Rally somewhat back to a stable 40-50p (£350 of shares @ £0.12)


You have shares in a few things right? And you do accumulators and use discount site thangs... such a Jew. ;)


A good portfolio should have shares from a number of different sector not just retail, so it's not that great a idea. I would be more worried about Thomas Cook than HMV or Game though.


Buy Thomas cook shares at absolute lowest 12p, they closed friday @ 18p That's already 50% earning. Gonna hold out till the end of the week and see how it goes.
Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Image
Instagram Twitter
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Game Shares "Collapse"
by lex-man » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:53 am

JiggerJay wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Lucien wrote:
JiggerJay wrote:I think I'll hold out for a little while, I'm just messing about with literally no knowledge of the markets, the money I've invested in HMV is slowly dwindling, but I'm positive Thomas Cook will Rally somewhat back to a stable 40-50p (£350 of shares @ £0.12)


You have shares in a few things right? And you do accumulators and use discount site thangs... such a Jew. ;)


A good portfolio should have shares from a number of different sector not just retail, so it's not that great a idea. I would be more worried about Thomas Cook than HMV or Game though.


Buy Thomas cook shares at absolute lowest 12p, they closed friday @ 18p That's already 50% earning. Gonna hold out till the end of the week and see how it goes.


How much are you paying for your trades? You've got to take that into account also you may not get the bid price when decide to sell.

Also HMV hasn't paid a year end dividend, if anyone cares.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, Frank, Garth, Gemini73, Google [Bot], Jamo3103, Jenuall, KjGarly, OldSoulCyborg, OrangeRakoon, Poser, Preezy, Tafdolphin, Trelliz and 35 guests