GRcade Retro Gaming Chat

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Saigon Slick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Jamo3103 wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Sounds like a neat solution, my set up is hardly feng shui. You need to know how to look out for art students selling theirs after the degree shows in May/June, that's how I got mine! ;)


Funnily enough I have found one going for that exact reason within pickup distance of me and due to end on Tuesday, only at £20 at the moment. Might try and get it just to satisfy my curiosity about them, I think a PVM would probably be easier to fit into my set up too.

Green Gecko wrote:Facebook Marketplace is worth a look because it being Facebook you have all the lowest common denominators, mums and dads etc.

Picked up endless ocean along with it and chucked in wii play for a tenner as well (couldn't really be arsed asking for change). They were asking £4 per game and sometimes you see good ones in a pile of shite.

A "Nintendo DS" recently sold for £20. It was a 2DS.


Absolutely this, I'm on a few Facebook groups for Retro games and somebody flagged up one today of somebody selling a Multi-Mega and a good range of games for £40 which is absolutely crazily cheap. (It's in Monmouth if anybody lives around there and it hasn't been snapped up!)


What groups? I'd be interested in getting involved in this.

Image Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Don't really need to join a group, surely stuff will just disappear faster if retro gaming groups are onto it. I just narrow stuff down to 20km and go to the video games section, it's scrolling hell sure but it's a bit like going to a bootmarket again finally and no strawberry floating ebay inflation/fees. Need to watch it can be pretty addictive, I've done the same thing before with single or handful of miniatures on ebay.

Thing is Facebook own Gumtree now, seems to me more people who literally can't be bothered to sign up anywhere except facebook will post stuff because they're lazy and misname things, with the added benefit that it's harder to be mugged off and dicked around when you have someone's facebook identity. I've seen last gen games that aren't exactly bad going for £1 or £2 each, for example Terraria PS3 £2

Mind you I had to walk 6 miles round trip as I don't have a car but it can be worth it, the games condition were fine.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Trelliz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I've apparently shrugged off modern games and got a ps2 again to play all the stuff i spend too long fiddling about with emulator settings than actually playing. I'll save that for games which are ludicrously expensive or never came out over here like Initial D etc. Fortunately because nobody gives a strawberry float about racing games except need for speed underground/most wanted i got a decent swathe of 50p-£1 games both in shops and online. Will check out the facebook groups too.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Curls » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 pm

So i've just done something very daft.

I bought a snes mini for my brother for christmas on ebay ...turns out his girlfriend bought him one a few days back!


So......If i held onto this for a few years and didn't open the box, recon it'll increase in value?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Speaking of the SNES mini I saw this the other day (and is still on FB marketplace)?

Image

My favourite part is the random inclusion of a Japanese copy of the Lion King actually for SNES. It even has a price sticker for Y490

Brand new and everything.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Jamo3103 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Jamo3103 wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Sounds like a neat solution, my set up is hardly feng shui. You need to know how to look out for art students selling theirs after the degree shows in May/June, that's how I got mine! ;)


Funnily enough I have found one going for that exact reason within pickup distance of me and due to end on Tuesday, only at £20 at the moment. Might try and get it just to satisfy my curiosity about them, I think a PVM would probably be easier to fit into my set up too.

Green Gecko wrote:Facebook Marketplace is worth a look because it being Facebook you have all the lowest common denominators, mums and dads etc.

Picked up endless ocean along with it and chucked in wii play for a tenner as well (couldn't really be arsed asking for change). They were asking £4 per game and sometimes you see good ones in a pile of shite.

A "Nintendo DS" recently sold for £20. It was a 2DS.


Absolutely this, I'm on a few Facebook groups for Retro games and somebody flagged up one today of somebody selling a Multi-Mega and a good range of games for £40 which is absolutely crazily cheap. (It's in Monmouth if anybody lives around there and it hasn't been snapped up!)


What groups? I'd be interested in getting involved in this.


Galaxy Sega is a brilliant one for collecting Retro Sega stuff, really good group of members, tend to sell stuff between members off the group at non inflated prices and it's a really good bunch of people. There's a guy on there who does custom game boxes, making me a proper Saturn Christmas Nights box at the moment (rather than the cd case it came with) with a manual and original disc included, also did a mini Sonic and Knuckles box a while ago which is ace. The others I'm in are Retro Games Forever, Retro Video Game Collectors UK and PAL SNES collectors which are all really good.

Green Gecko wrote:Don't really need to join a group, surely stuff will just disappear faster if retro gaming groups are onto it. I just narrow stuff down to 20km and go to the video games section, it's scrolling hell sure but it's a bit like going to a bootmarket again finally and no strawberry floating ebay inflation/fees. Need to watch it can be pretty addictive, I've done the same thing before with single or handful of miniatures on ebay.


Although the stuff probably does disappear with groups like this it's nice having groups of like minded people as I find they tend to sell at far fairer prices than eBay.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Ah I see what you mean, selling to each other, not just sharing links elsewhere, sure!

Saw someone selling mario world snes cart only for £20 today - local indie store has it for £14.. SNES inflation a'happening.

Not retro but picked up Pikmin 3 near mint for £12 today!

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Trelliz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 am

My ps2 retro bender is almost complete - i got a component cable in the post to hopefully make the games look a bit better on a modern tv. As I am mostly into racing games i also have one of these coming soon:

Image

It is a motion sensor addon for the ps2 controller that came out very late, after the ps3 launch i think. It plugs into an adapter on the controller cable and replaces either the left or right analogue stick with adjustable sensitivity. As a convert to ps4 motion steering and the 360 wireless wheel controller, this should give a similar experience.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:40 am

Drumstick wrote:

Ninja Game Den in Brighton currently has Mario Party 6 and 7 for GC if that's of interest.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Harry Ellis
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Harry Ellis » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 am

Green Gecko wrote:
Drumstick wrote:

Ninja Game Den in Brighton currently has Mario Party 6 and 7 for GC if that's of interest.

Ta, I didn't actually know about this shop.

Sadly with having the Switch and an impending birth I've little cash to be spending on GC games at the moment.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am

Trelliz wrote:My ps2 retro bender is almost complete - i got a component cable in the post to hopefully make the games look a bit better on a modern tv. As I am mostly into racing games i also have one of these coming soon:

Image

It is a motion sensor addon for the ps2 controller that came out very late, after the ps3 launch i think. It plugs into an adapter on the controller cable and replaces either the left or right analogue stick with adjustable sensitivity. As a convert to ps4 motion steering and the 360 wireless wheel controller, this should give a similar experience.


You're telling me okami could have a motion control brush on the PS2 version??

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Trelliz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:05 am

Yes, or anything for that matter. Could be good for stuff like ace combat or armored core as well.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Preezy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 am

Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, one of my golden PS2 memories :wub:

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Trelliz wrote:My ps2 retro bender is almost complete - i got a component cable in the post to hopefully make the games look a bit better on a modern tv. As I am mostly into racing games i also have one of these coming soon:

Image

It is a motion sensor addon for the ps2 controller that came out very late, after the ps3 launch i think. It plugs into an adapter on the controller cable and replaces either the left or right analogue stick with adjustable sensitivity. As a convert to ps4 motion steering and the 360 wireless wheel controller, this should give a similar experience.


You're telling me okami could have a motion control brush on the PS2 version??

I'm guessing you prefer the original colour palette? I sold mine to pay for xenoblade x but I have the Wii version. Widescreen is pretty good.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Green Gecko wrote:I'm guessing you prefer the original colour palette? I sold mine to pay for xenoblade x but I have the Wii version. Widescreen is pretty good.


I never had it on PS2 actually, I only have the wii version but have never played it.

I did get to the final boss of Okamiden though, that's something right?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Green Gecko » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Not really retro.. but finally picked up New Nintendo 3DS XL for £75.

Cash converters bought one for £65 and advertised it as a standard 3DS XL for £80 alongside several others... instantly noticed the coloured letters on the face buttons. Bit dinged up but the hardware is fine and the inner case is immaculate, so only needs a screen cover replacement for a perfect screen and outer casings. Got £5 knocked off after saying "It's a bit haggered isn't it?"

For a console that's still £179.99 new, that's a bit of a steal I think. Came with the charger too, which isn't even included with a new system. :lol:

In terms of actual retro stuff, I traded in a load of things (duplicate copies, £1-3 games etc) and got £39 in store credit at my indie. Bought Alisia Dragoon (hidden gem) complete with manual and box (but a US cart - works on PAL MD-1 for some reason) for a tidy £26 and Jurassic Park complete for £11. And Animal Crossing Let's Go to the City (Wii) for change.

A good day, just need to sell up the old 3DS or some other stuff to make zero cost.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Trelliz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:07 pm

I couldn't find a definitive answer so took a gamble on an OG xbox copy of Sega GT 2002 for £2 from CEX and put it in my xb360 and it works fine, full widescreen resolution and a decent framerate. I should do photos of my ps2/360 racing game collection at some point as i'm impressed how quickly and cheaply i have amassed it; i think the most expensive thing was NFS Most Wanted on 360 for a tenner, most of the rest were under £4 or even £1.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Johnny Ryall » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 pm

I remember enjoying the demo of Sega GT 2002. As an xbot it was going to be our gran turismo until forza came along.

User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lazy Fair » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:31 pm

I picked up Diddy Long Racing at the weekend. Got it unboxed for a tenner in CEX. Looked like it goes for about 15 on eBay so happy with that. It’s still great. Played that for a while tonight then a bit of Jet Force Gemini. I really like JFG. The shooting is so satisfying.

Image

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Retro Gaming Chat
by Lazy Fair » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Another random question. I remember a really odd old snes fighting game that I used to rent from the local video shop years ago. It was a 2d fighting game. One of the characters was a kind of doninatrix character. I’m sure she could jump and have spikes come out her heels and could also whip you as a finisher and you’d turn into a pile of maggots. Anyone got any idea what it was?

In my memory it seems like duh a weird old game. I’d love to see some video of it.

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], chanticleer, lex-man, Monkey Man, myrrh heat than light, NickSCFC, O Raxmas Tree, OrangeReindeer, Peter Crisp, Photek, Trelliz and 52 guests