GRcade Illustrator Club

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:57 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:...We had 122 people today. Last year our first day was 23...

That's great news! Word must have got around from last year about how cool the event is... nice to see a good turnout!

The Watching Artist wrote:...In the end I sold 7 fridge magnets today...

From little acorns... it must be a cool feeling to know that people are interested in your art and are buying pieces :toot: .

The Watching Artist wrote:...The highlight for me was very early on when a family turned up and a very excited 7 year old was running about telling everyone how amazing certain pictures were. He really loved my blue sunflower painting. He promptly sat down and drew it with some oil pastels...

Confirmed: TWA is inspiring the next generation with his art :D .

Good luck with the event tomorrow. Let's hope you can make another sale or two!
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am

Well between printing and framing and other bits and bobs I've spent well over £200 getting things ready for this. 7 fridge magnets a day isn't really going to do. :lol:
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 am

The Watching Artist wrote:Well between printing and framing and other bits and bobs I've spent well over £200 getting things ready for this. 7 fridge magnets a day isn't really going to do. :lol:

Yeah, hopefully you'll shift a couple of higher-ticket items during today, Matt. Maybe you could take a few photos of your Doctor Who pieces and get them published on that Facebook page? Perhaps that could tempt people to come and take a look at your stuff. Good luck for today!
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Well today was a long hard day. Had to hold the fort on my own for half of it. :dread: Sold a few more fridge magnets. Might have to order more. Anything I've made that someone would like to see in fridge magnet form. Might do Toon Link. basically Jawa what do you think?

Close up of framed Who pic-

Image

Another 100 people today. Means we have either beaten or are close to beating last years total after just the one weekend.
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:Well today was a long hard day. Had to hold the fort on my own for half of it. :dread: Sold a few more fridge magnets. Might have to order more...

That sounds like good progress, Matt - they must trust you enough to let you run part of the event and it's great to hear that you've sold more of the art magnets!

The Watching Artist wrote:...Anything I've made that someone would like to see in fridge magnet form. Might do Toon Link. basically Jawa what do you think?...

:lol: ... I think a Toon Link magnet is a terrific idea . I also like your chibi / pixel Doctor Who artwork; would they be suitable for magnet(s)?

The Watching Artist wrote:...Close up of framed Who pic...

That is such a cool picture. Somehow you need to get Who fans to see your stuff; I'm sure that many of them would be impressed by your artworks.

The Watching Artist wrote:...Another 100 people today. Means we have either beaten or are close to beating last years total after just the one weekend.

It sounds like it has been a huge success this year and I get the feeling that there could be a chance for you to make more sales in the next two weekend events. Keep believin', dude!
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by still » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:44 am

How long does this go on for Matt? Is it the same next weekend?
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 am

still wrote:How long does this go on for Matt? Is it the same next weekend?

Excuse me I just need to consult my agent, Lord Jawa of Four......
jawafour wrote:I get the feeling that there could be a chance for you to make more sales in the next two weekend events.

Ah! It's the next two weekends.
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Green Gecko wrote:Question!

Howdy GG!

Have you ever done any lenticular printing? I've had an idea for something that I'd like to look into. My idea is to have my two Weeping Angel types as the images so it would swap between hiding its eyes and then attacking.

Image

Do you have any experience it in and is it expensive?
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:26 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:...lenticular printing... I've had an idea for something that I'd like to look into...

Oh man, I love lenticular pictures! It's kinda retro but the effect and feel is just brilliant!

The Watching Artist wrote:...My idea is to have my two Weeping Angel types as the images so it would swap between hiding its eyes and then attacking...

:o ... this sounds like it has to be achieved. I would be interested in getting one!
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 pm

...but the pricing appears to be pretty high.

> Reflex Printstore suggest it'll cost around £764 for 100 x Business-card sized pictures

> Other lenticular print companies are available but they need to be contacted about pricing ...or this one
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Ah strawberry float. I couldn't afford to make that many. I could picture in my head someone looking at it and then as they walk away it goes "RAGH!" (they don't make that noise but sod it) and then they jump. Ah well. Just ordered 6 sets of fridge magnets though. 3 to replace low stock and 3 new designs. Toon Link. 4th Doctor pixel. Original Dalek. I need them for this weekend so the shopping cost is high. Next I will be more prepared.

I'm going to say that every year. :shifty:

EDIT- Thanks Jawa :wub:
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:...Just ordered 6 sets of fridge magnets though...

Matt, you may have told me this before but I've forgotten... how would one know what designs you have available as fridge magnets? And are you able to supply individual selections (i.e. could one request 1 x Design B, 1 x Design F and 1 x Design H) or are just those that are "in stock" available?
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm

jawafour wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:...Just ordered 6 sets of fridge magnets though...

Matt, you may have told me this before but I've forgotten... how would one know what designs you have available as fridge magnets? And are you able to supply individual selections (i.e. could one request 1 x Design B, 1 x Design F and 1 x Design H) or are just those that are "in stock" available?

Magic.

At the moment only whats in stock. As I have to have them made and delivered. If someone REALLY wanted a specific design I'd consider it. I typically get 10 at a time. I have been thinking about joining Redbubble to act as a shop. But I dunno. Its too hot.
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:At the moment only whats in stock... I have been thinking about joining Redbubble to act as a shop. But I dunno. Its too hot.

I was (am) well pleased with the ones that I bought before. As for Redbubble, I think OrangeRakoon does something like that... he designs stuff and has a few things available to buy.

Fake edit: He is on Redbubble!
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 pm

jawafour wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:At the moment only whats in stock... I have been thinking about joining Redbubble to act as a shop. But I dunno. Its too hot.

I was (am) well pleased with the ones that I bought before. As for Redbubble, I think OrangeRakoon does something like that... he designs stuff and has a few things available to buy.

Fake edit: He is on Redbubble!

No wonder he looks down on me like a peasant.
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm

The invasion continues!
Image
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 pm

It's been 6 hours and Jawa hasn't posted to say how amazing they look.

They must look really crap.

This is a disaster.

My life is over.

Goodbye.
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES
User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by Yoshimi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 am

Did another drawing on my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. From the movie "Your Name"...

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by jawafour » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:The invasion continues!...
The Watching Artist wrote:It's been 6 hours and Jawa hasn't posted to say how amazing they look...


:o . This completely passed me by! I am normally pretty quick on checking out new additions to this thread albeit I'm not one for looking that closely at the Stuff area. Anway... new fridge magnets :toot: .

I love the Tom Baker sprite design - I *knew* it'd work well as a magnet image :). The bold blocks and the colour look great! The Dalek one is terrific, too - some nice detail on show there and it compliments your excellent Weeping Angel design (which I've got 8-) ).

Now... I'm not *quite* as taken with the Link one. I'm unsure about Link's expression and the visible shield and sword bits perhaps aren't quite gelling correctly; by Link's right hand they don't seem to be angled right compared to the other visible bits. Don't get me wrong, Matt, as it's still good - but maybe not up to the super high standards of, say, your Wolf Link / Midna design.

I would be keen on the Baker and Dalek designs; I'll PM you about those. Thinking out loud... is there potential for any of your other digital Doctor designs to get the fridge magnet treatment? And maybe the assistants could be a spin-off line? Digi Rose and Digi Amy? I guess it could be quite challenging to create them in the same style?

Yoshimi wrote:Did another drawing on my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. From the movie "Your Name"...

Wow, Yoshimi, that's great! I'm not familiar with that film but the artwork sure does look good. Bold, clear and I love how you've placed the star as a focal point of the piece. Nice work!
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Illustrator Club
by The Watching Artist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:30 pm

jawafour wrote:is there potential for any of your other digital Doctor designs to get the fridge magnet treatment? And maybe the assistants could be a spin-off line? Digi Rose and Digi Amy?

All possible. Only thing it the companions might have less "iconic" looks and thus less recognisable. Pixel police officer Amy anyone. :shifty: I'd want then to be in the same ALTTP style sprites again. Wanted to try and do some monsters to.

Today despite being grey and windy and also a bit rainy we had 80 more visitors. I sold just 1 fridge magnet. :( But 2 prints! :D With maybe another tomorrow. :toot:
ImageImageSIG POWERED BY JAWA INDUSTRIES

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, BTB, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, GrinWithoutaKat, Grumpy David, jiggles, Karl, Memento Mori, Met, more heat than light, Oblomov Boblomov, Preezy, Qikz, Ste and 23 guests