GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Qikz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:26 pm

The Basics

The game plays across two phases. First, we have the DAY PHASE.

DAY PHASE
This is the main bulk of play. Players can post and it's where the town get to make their move. The day phase will begins as soon as the night phase ends.

During the day phase, players get to vote a single player to be put up for lynch. They do this by posting LYNCH: playerName. This can happen at any time of the day, but must end by 6PM UK Time. Players may also vote NO LYNCH. If this wins the majority there will not be a lynch.

With a highest number of as of 6PM UK Time the player with a majority number of votes (aka, with 9 players, 5 players must vote to lynch) will be put in the stand and will go up for the vote to either save, or end their life. Players will vote up to 8PM by either posting VOTE: GUILTY or VOTE: INNOCENT in the thread.

At 8PM, the votes are tallied and if the player is found GUILTY (by recieving a majority) they are executed and ejected from the game. Their role and Last Will will then be revealed to the thread.

Last Will?

A last will is a message from beyond the grave. At any time during the game players may make ammendments to their last will. This can contain any information that they have gathered and any suspicions they may have. Beware, if there is a forger in the game, they can forge your last will and change the information. Note. You cannot ammend the will after the end of the night/day phase you die and they can contain role related information such as your results.

An example of a good Last Will for a person with the lookout role.

Qikz the Lookout

N1 - targeted Kezzer - nobody visited
N2 - targeted Kezzer - visited by Pancake
N3 - targeted Kezzer - visited by Falsey and Errkal





At the end of the day phase, the game will head into the NIGHT PHASE at 9PM

NIGHT PHASE

Nobody is permitted to post in the thread until the night phase officially ends. During the night phase, anyone with night roles will PM me with their actions. Anyone who does will be ejected from the game. The night phase will end when I post to say it has ended, but this will usually be at 11PM each night although it might last a bit longer on other nights. The night phase will officially end when I post the results of the night actions. Only then will the game back into the DAY PHASE and players will be able to post again.


How does this sound, any comments/suggestions?
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Hexx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

Qikz wrote:
The Basics

The game plays across two phases. First, we have the DAY PHASE.

DAY PHASE
This is the main bulk of play. Players can post and it's where the town get to make their move. The day phase will begins as soon as the night phase ends.

During the day phase, players get to vote a single player to be put up for lynch. They do this by posting LYNCH: playerName.

This can happen at any time of the day, but must end by 6PM UK Time. Players may also vote NO LYNCH.

If this wins the majority there will not be a lynch.

With a highest number of As of 6PM UK Time the player with a majority of players votes (aka, with 9 players, 5 players must vote to lynch) will be put in the stand and will go up for the vote to either save, or end their life. In the event of no candidate reaching this threshold, an automatic No Lynch will occur

Players will vote up to 8PM by either posting VOTE: GUILTY or VOTE: INNOCENT in the thread.

At 8PM, the votes are tallied and if the player is found GUILTY (by recieving a majority aka, with 9 players, 5 players must vote Guilty)) they are executed and ejected from the game. Their role and Last Will will then be revealed to the thread.

Last Will?

A last will is a message from beyond the grave. At any time during the game players may make ammendments to their last will. This can contain any information that they have gathered and any suspicions they may have. Beware, if there is a forger in the game, they can target you during the night phase and forge your last will and change the information. This change cannot be undone/Will last until you re-write your last will - if you re-write a forged last will you will/will not be told of the forgeryNote. You cannot ammend the will after the end of the night/day phase you die and they can contain role related information such as your results.

An example of a good Last Will for a person with the lookout role.

Qikz the Lookout

N1 - targeted Kezzer - nobody visited
N2 - targeted Kezzer - visited by Pancake
N3 - targeted Kezzer - visited by Falsey and Errkal



At the end of the day phase, the game will head into the NIGHT PHASE at 9PM

NIGHT PHASE

Nobody is permitted to post in the thread until the night phase officially ends. Anyone who does will be ejected from the game.During the night phase, anyone with night roles will PM me with their actions. Anyone who does will be ejected from the game. The night phase will end when I post to say it has ended, but this will usually be at 11PM each night although it might last a bit longer on other nights. The night phase will officially end when I post the results of the night actions. Only then will the game back into the DAY PHASE and players will be able to post again.


How does this sound, any comments/suggestions?


Some purple comment
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:32 am

Scrap the majority vote. If 4/9 vote for the same person and there are only 6 votes in total the lynch should still go ahead because it's not fair to penalise people for having a life outside permitted time frames. This goes for both LYNCH/VOTE portions of the evening portion of the game.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Moggy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 am

Drumstick wrote:Scrap the majority vote. If 4/9 vote for the same person and there are only 6 votes in total the lynch should still go ahead because it's not fair to penalise people for having a life outside permitted time frames. This goes for both LYNCH/VOTE portions of the evening portion of the game.


This.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 am

Moggy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Scrap the majority vote. If 4/9 vote for the same person and there are only 6 votes in total the lynch should still go ahead because it's not fair to penalise people for having a life outside permitted time frames. This goes for both LYNCH/VOTE portions of the evening portion of the game.


This.

And this coming from 2 people that, it's fair to say, spend HOURS here every day. People simply cannot be here all the time.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Moggy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 am

Drumstick wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Scrap the majority vote. If 4/9 vote for the same person and there are only 6 votes in total the lynch should still go ahead because it's not fair to penalise people for having a life outside permitted time frames. This goes for both LYNCH/VOTE portions of the evening portion of the game.


This.

And this coming from 2 people that, it's fair to say, spend HOURS here every day. People simply cannot be here all the time.


Speak for yourself, I hardly ever post. :shifty:
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 am

Also are you going to include the thing which happened last game where we voted Denny as innocent and got to replace him had the opportunity to replace him?
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Hexx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 am

Keep the majority personally.

It helps makes people post/contribute (or not) which at least gives people something to judge.

They've got all day to post to nominate - even if they can only pop on once. Ok, they might have to make a call on evidence posted to that time, but that's it and everyone can see the evidence.

Same with guilty/not guilty - it's a set time frame to log on. As it's a small window I can see possibly rejecting majority approach here.

Otherwise it's too easy for small active groups (town or Mafia) to dominate proceedings (you can "win" with just 1 vote if only one person is posting at the time - nonsense. There has to be a threshold) and makes inactives and even more ridiculously OP hiding place that it already is.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Qikz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am

Drumstick wrote:Also are you going to include the thing which happened last game where we voted Denny as innocent and got to replace him had the opportunity to replace him?


Yes I am, that's an important point I forgot to add.

I'm busy at work but will look at all your comments later.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Moggy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:09 am

Hexx wrote:Keep the majority personally.

It helps makes people post/contribute (or not) which at least gives people something to judge.

They've got all day to post to nominate - even if they can only pop on once. Ok, they might have to make a call on evidence posted to that time, but that's it and everyone can see the evidence.

Same with guilty/not guilty - it's a set time frame to log on. As it's a small window I can see possibly rejecting majority approach here.

Otherwise it's too easy for small active groups (town or Mafia) to dominate proceedings (you can "win" with just 1 vote if only one person is posting at the time - nonsense. There has to be a threshold) and makes inactives and even more ridiculously OP hiding place that it already is.


In the last game we ended up with having about 1 minute for 5 people to vote. Which was disastrous (although not for you ;) ).

When the game gets to a stage where there are 5 “town” and 4 “bad guys” it becomes impossible to guarantee that you can get a majority if just one person cannot make it online.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Qikz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am

Moggy wrote:
Hexx wrote:Keep the majority personally.

It helps makes people post/contribute (or not) which at least gives people something to judge.

They've got all day to post to nominate - even if they can only pop on once. Ok, they might have to make a call on evidence posted to that time, but that's it and everyone can see the evidence.

Same with guilty/not guilty - it's a set time frame to log on. As it's a small window I can see possibly rejecting majority approach here.

Otherwise it's too easy for small active groups (town or Mafia) to dominate proceedings (you can "win" with just 1 vote if only one person is posting at the time - nonsense. There has to be a threshold) and makes inactives and even more ridiculously OP hiding place that it already is.


In the last game we ended up with having about 1 minute for 5 people to vote. Which was disastrous (although not for you ;) ).

When the game gets to a stage where there are 5 “town” and 4 “bad guys” it becomes impossible to guarantee that you can get a majority if just one person cannot make it online.


If there's 5 town and 4 guys and one person doesn't make it, as long as all the bad guys vote there won't be a lynch either.

The majority serves a purpose. Perhaps I should bring the lynch time/vote time closer so if someone is voted innocent there's more time to re-vote?
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

The majority vote would make me think twice about participating again, I don't want to feel like a dick if I can't make it online to vote but at the same time I'm not shifting round my day to accomodate it. Plus tbh I'd probably just forget about it.
Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Rocsteady » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Also the town members who do vote shouldn't be punished just because some villager forgets or can't be bothered catching up with the thread.

If only one person votes then fair enough, that's hardly going to be the main problem with the game; if only one person bothers voting the game's strawberry floated anyway.


As an aside I like how your pm was exactly the same as mine Moggy :lol: Although to be fair my clues until mentioning the jester were pretty terrible, thought you'd get it from the guy who likes setting fire to stuff though (arsonist).

Did wonder how far I could push it without getting god killed.
Image
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Slayerx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Sorry if this has been suggested.

Can't the thread be locked during the night phase with Qikz having access only to post ?

Sounds faffy but just an idea.
User avatar
Gently-Parted Ringpiece
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Gently-Parted Ringpiece » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Remove majority. Allows more room for good or bad guys to be crafty with their vote potential.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Qikz wrote:.The majority serves a purpose.

The only purpose it serves is to make it more difficult for the village to lynch a player. The only reason that should happen is if there are no votes at all or people are actively voting for no lynch.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Falsey wrote:Remove majority. Allows more room for good or bad guys to be crafty with their vote potential.

Agreed. They need more room to manoeuvre on the whole and this would assist with that.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Qikz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:24 pm

How does a pluarity vote sound?
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Drumstick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Isn't that what we asked for, i.e person who gets the most votes goes up for lynching without it needing to be a majority of the overall number of votes possible?
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: GRcade Mafia | Rules & Future Game Discussion
by Qikz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:14 pm

It is, but I'm going to put a threshold, because if someone gets lynched or killed on the back of one or two votes then I don't think that's necessarily fair.

Perhaps a good system would be to have it so guilty requires 2 more votes than innocent at minimum to pass?
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, BID0, BTB, Crimson, Cuttooth, Dig Dug, Dowbocop, Errkal, FatDaz, Finiarél, lex-man, Mafro, Met, Preezy, Qikz, Return_of_the_STAR, Slayerx, SugarCubes, The Watching Artist, Tineash, Yahoo [Bot] and 53 guests