GRcade Travel Topic

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Curls » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Always an option. My brother went there recently, I may give him a bell and see what he says about.

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostGRcade Travel Topic
by Parksey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Tomous wrote:i was under the impression it does have that super busy area like you describe but also hotel resorts with their closed off areas of the beach? I could be wrong though.

Palawan could be a good bet although we were mainly in El Nido which can be very touristy too. The lagoons for kayaking are amazing though. And it has good snorkelling etc. The island is full of quieter beaches if you go off the beaten track though.

We also stayed in Moalboal which is a few hours on the bus from Cebu and was incredible. The beach there isn't huge or sandy but there's brilliant snorkelling-you see turtles swimming about and a sardine run which is literally thousands of sardines just hanging round together and incredible. We also did canyoning in Moalboal, which I can't recommend enough. Was so much fun-I made a video of our GoPro footage, let me know if you're interested in.

Bohol has your more traditional beach, Alona I think it's called plus it might have some hiking options round the Chocolate Hills (although we just visited the viewing spots).

A Cebu > Bohol > Moalboal triangle could work if you had time.

You can do whale shark snorkelling from Cebu in Oslob but it's ethically dodgy because they field the whale sharks (which messes with their behaviour) and overpopulate the sea with tourists. We opted to do it Donsol instead where they don't interfere with the whale sharks at all but that would be another internal flight for you to get to.


I can't advise on where the best place for cottaging is but Philippines is quite accepting of homosexuality for an Asian country so fill your boots.


I forgot I even put cottaging in there. Must have been a slow day at work and I was looking for entertainment.

Yeah, if you can, send me that Go Pro video and I'll have a look, cheers.

Where did you stay in Cebu/Bohol, just out of interest? And did you see anything of Matcan? That's also got quite a few hotels and beaches apparently.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Parksey wrote:
Tomous wrote:i was under the impression it does have that super busy area like you describe but also hotel resorts with their closed off areas of the beach? I could be wrong though.

Palawan could be a good bet although we were mainly in El Nido which can be very touristy too. The lagoons for kayaking are amazing though. And it has good snorkelling etc. The island is full of quieter beaches if you go off the beaten track though.

We also stayed in Moalboal which is a few hours on the bus from Cebu and was incredible. The beach there isn't huge or sandy but there's brilliant snorkelling-you see turtles swimming about and a sardine run which is literally thousands of sardines just hanging round together and incredible. We also did canyoning in Moalboal, which I can't recommend enough. Was so much fun-I made a video of our GoPro footage, let me know if you're interested in.

Bohol has your more traditional beach, Alona I think it's called plus it might have some hiking options round the Chocolate Hills (although we just visited the viewing spots).

A Cebu > Bohol > Moalboal triangle could work if you had time.

You can do whale shark snorkelling from Cebu in Oslob but it's ethically dodgy because they field the whale sharks (which messes with their behaviour) and overpopulate the sea with tourists. We opted to do it Donsol instead where they don't interfere with the whale sharks at all but that would be another internal flight for you to get to.


I can't advise on where the best place for cottaging is but Philippines is quite accepting of homosexuality for an Asian country so fill your boots.


I forgot I even put cottaging in there. Must have been a slow day at work and I was looking for entertainment.

Yeah, if you can, send me that Go Pro video and I'll have a look, cheers.

Where did you stay in Cebu/Bohol, just out of interest? And did you see anything of Matcan? That's also got quite a few hotels and beaches apparently.


Stayed in a hostel in Cebu so not what you're looking for most likely. Bohol we just did as a day trip from Cebu and it was a brilliant day-we took the boat over and was told there were scooter hire shops. Couldn't find any, so literally gave a local a tenner to borrow his motorbike for the day, spent the day exploring the island and gave it back to him at 6pm for the boat home.

Didn't go to Matcan.

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Floex » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Floex wrote:Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?


The obvious are definitely worth doing-Anne Frank museum, Heineken experience, boat ride on the canal and if you like museums (not really my thing) you've got the Rijksmueum and the Van Gogh museum.

I'd also recommend the Blue Cafe for lunch. Food was very good there and you get nice panoramic views of the surrounding rooftops.

User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Mini E » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Tomous wrote:
Floex wrote:Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?


The obvious are definitely worth doing-Anne Frank museum, Heineken experience, boat ride on the canal and if you like museums (not really my thing) you've got the Rijksmueum and the Van Gogh museum.

I'd also recommend the Blue Cafe for lunch. Food was very good there and you get nice panoramic views of the surrounding rooftops.


+1 for Heineken Museum. Really exceeded my expectations. If you go on a nice weather day they open up the roof-top bar for you.

Pick your boat company for a canal ride carefully. Our boat captain crashed us into a bridge.

The Ice Bar is pretty good but quite expensive.

Sara's Pancake house is great. There are some incredible pancake places in Amsterdam. Make the most of them!

If you like football, Ajax Stadium tour.

teh bork wrote:The appointment of Moyes is me done with that club until he and the 3 idiots running it have strawberry floated off. I'd boo him, but I think I'll sell my ticket game by game and get some money back. I'm so angry about this, the final nail in the coffin of this great club.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Dual » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Floex wrote:Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?


420 blaze it son

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Rocsteady » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 pm

^ +1

I'll be near there at that point too, GR meet up what what

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Lagamorph » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Booked for New York 1st-5th December :D :toot:
Never been before so really looking forward to it.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Booked for New York 1st-5th December :D :toot:
Never been before so really looking forward to it.


Make sure to go to the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge, Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon while you're there - all well worth seeing. Maybe the Liberty Bell as well, but that might be a bit far away.

Image Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Mini E wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Floex wrote:Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?


The obvious are definitely worth doing-Anne Frank museum, Heineken experience, boat ride on the canal and if you like museums (not really my thing) you've got the Rijksmueum and the Van Gogh museum.

I'd also recommend the Blue Cafe for lunch. Food was very good there and you get nice panoramic views of the surrounding rooftops.


+1 for Heineken Museum. Really exceeded my expectations. If you go on a nice weather day they open up the roof-top bar for you.

Pick your boat company for a canal ride carefully. Our boat captain crashed us into a bridge.

The Ice Bar is pretty good but quite expensive.

Sara's Pancake house is great. There are some incredible pancake places in Amsterdam. Make the most of them!

If you like football, Ajax Stadium tour.


What the strawberry float :lol:

Maybe he'd been sampling the local produce?

Anyway, dunno what you're into but I'm not a fan of Die Wallen(red light district). It's always full of fuckhead tourists and very seedy. Other than that I'd recommend what others have said - Heineken tour, boat tour, Anne Frankhuis are all great.

Image Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Rocsteady » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Red light district sucks dick. Literally and metaphorically.

Even the locals round there are pricks, not sure if it's a coping mechanism for them.

Image
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Brighton

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by PatSharpsMullet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Floex wrote:Heading to Amsterdam next month, anyone got any recommendations?

I'm going to Amsterdam next month too.

We've already booked tickets for the Anne Frank Museum, and we're also going to do the Amsterdam Arena Tour.

Image
User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Bunni » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Booked for New York 1st-5th December :D :toot:
Never been before so really looking forward to it.


This is when we went two years back. Was unseasonably warm but incredible for Christmas spirit. Heading back for our 10th anniversary and want to stay in the home alone hotel. Was all sold out last time but went for a champagne toast anyway.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Bunni » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 am

Looking at flights for our month trip to Asia next year. Found Edinburgh to Singapore for £210 each. Already booked the return leg from Tokyo to London for £250 each. Hoping to stop off in Hong Kong, maybe Beijing and then onto South Korea before scaling our way up through Japan. Been saving for a while so pure chuffed to be able to get the ball rolling.

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Parksey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 am

You know about the Beijing visa waiver scheme? You get 72 hours visa-free if you go Country A - Beijing - Country B. I think Hong Kong counts as a separate country too.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Bunni » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:40 am

Yeah I've seen that. Just flights between hong kong and Beijing and then Beijing to Seoul are quite expensive whereas a direct Hong Kong to Seoul is a third of the price.

User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Parksey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 am

If you fancy China, Shanghai has a five day visa waiver and from my experience, connecting flights to Asia are much cheaper (it's quite a bit transfer airport I think).

Shanghai maybe lacks some of the world-famous sights but is a ridiculously wealthy, modern city. Other places like Hangzhou and Nanjing are easily accessible by train and included in the visa waiver.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Bunni » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am

Shanghai was always an alternative. I'll have a look about options, plenty of time to decide.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Lotus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am

Just booked 2 weeks in Japan in March. :datass:

Image ImageImage

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam231, andretmzt, Bing [Bot], Finiarél, Kanbei, lex-man, Qikz, Return_of_the_STAR, satriales, Shug5891 and 56 guests