GRcade Travel Topic

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by smurphy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I can't imagine anyone not liking Berlin. From my short time there it appears to have a bit of everything. Plus German people are the best.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 am

Just spent a few days in Ha Long Bay. Absolutely incredible, spent a lot of time on a boat going round managed to book a room on a floating hotel too that had that their own stretch of Lan Ha Bay (round the corner from Ha Long) that you can use for kayaking. Went 2km down and didn't see a single person, was stunning.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Tomous wrote: a floating hotel


No need to swear.
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by SandyCoin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Tomous wrote:Too gritty for me, and didn't have a great experience with the food/bars. Maybe we went to the wrong places but there you go.

Europe has some fantastic cities and for me Berlin isn't one of them.


Any in particular? My gf is going back to Rome in the summer and I don't want to really. Sick of all my flying funds going on London and Rome. So might go away on my own.
-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:47 pm

SandyCoin wrote:
Tomous wrote:Too gritty for me, and didn't have a great experience with the food/bars. Maybe we went to the wrong places but there you go.

Europe has some fantastic cities and for me Berlin isn't one of them.


Any in particular? My gf is going back to Rome in the summer and I don't want to really. Sick of all my flying funds going on London and Rome. So might go away on my own.


Barcelona, Budapest and Amsterdam are probably my favourites (alongside Rome, but you're sick of that...). It depends what you're looking for really but all those have a decent mix of sightseeing, local culture and great food/drink options.

Sevilla is somewhere I'd also really recommend for somewhere a little less obvious. Beautiful place and great food if you like tapas.
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Mini E » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I've not been to Budapest but have been to Amsterdam and Barcelona a few times each and absolutely love them. I think I like Barcelona more than Amsterdam but they're very different cities. Both fantastic in their own ways.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Off to Istanbul on Friday. If I die, I ask only that Cal be forced to bear my avatar forever more.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Off to Istanbul on Friday. If I die, I ask only that Cal be forced to bear my avatar forever more.


You'll be fine, it's not like you're going to a dangerous place like Sweden.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tafdolphin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Heaven forbid.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Off to Istanbul on Friday. If I die, I ask only that Cal be forced to bear my avatar forever more.


I went last September and didn't die. I had about 7 kebabs in a row, I think that was probably key to surviving...

Otherwise my advice, other than the obvious like visiting the Blue Mosque would be to go up the Gelata Tower for an unbelievable view-the scale of the city is insane, take a cruise down the Bosphorus, and avoid clubs in Taksim Square because they're all "hostess bars" and will charge you excessively for drinks/talking to the girls they employ.
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostGRcade Travel Topic
by Parksey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Off to Sydney and Uluru/Ayer's Rock (for four nights and three nights respectively) if anyone has any recommendations. Not going to be jet lagged (hopefully) as there'll only be an hour or two time different in case people are thinking it's a ridiculously short time. It isn't meant to be a whole "let's do Australia trip, as I'm probably going back sometime next year as well, but I'd quite like to knock these two places off the list. The distances between places in Australia constantly surprise me, so getting a few places done this time will make a longer trip a bit easier (won't have to go smack bang in the middle of nowhere for Uluru, basically).

Current plan for Sydney is largely the obvious stuff: Opera House, Bridge, Harbour area and a walk from Bondinto Coogee Beach. Maybe the Blue Mountains for a day trip too.

Uluru will be the rock itself, maybe The Olgas and King's Canyon.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Parksey wrote:Off to Sydney and Uluru/Ayer's Rock (for four nights and three nights respectively) if anyone has any recommendations. Not going to be jet lagged (hopefully) as there'll only be an hour or two time different in case people are thinking it's a ridiculously short time. It isn't meant to be a whole "let's do Australia trip, as I'm probably going back sometime next year as well, but I'd quite like to knock these two places off the list. The distances between places in Australia constantly surprise me, so getting a few places done this time will make a longer trip a bit easier (won't have to go smack bang in the middle of nowhere for Uluru, basically).

Current plan for Sydney is largely the obvious stuff: Opera House, Bridge, Harbour area and a walk from Bondinto Coogee Beach. Maybe the Blue Mountains for a day trip too.

Uluru will be the rock itself, maybe The Olgas and King's Canyon.


There’s not a whole lot to do at Uluru really, other than Alice Springs there are no large settlements around, it is a pretty desolate place.

I loved it though, Uluru itself is great and Kings Canyon was a good place to walk, if I remember rightly there is a short trail that takes a few hours and a long trail that takes days, we went for the short one. ;) We didn’t do anything else there though as we were pressed for time.

Sydney has plenty to do and all the obvious things (Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc) are all worthwhile, we did a boat trip around the harbour as well which was a lot of fun. If you have the time you have to go to the Blue Mountains, it is incredible there.
User avatar
Mini E
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Mini E » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Parksey wrote:Off to Sydney and Uluru/Ayer's Rock (for four nights and three nights respectively) if anyone has any recommendations.
Current plan for Sydney is largely the obvious stuff: Opera House, Bridge, Harbour area and a walk from Bondinto Coogee Beach. Maybe the Blue Mountains for a day trip too.


Coogee is beautiful. If you like animals, check out Taronga Zoo. I'd recommend getting a ferry somewhere while you're there. Possibly out to Manly (although you could do the zoo which is a ferry trip away anyway)
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Corazon de Leon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:52 pm

smurphy wrote:I can't imagine anyone not liking Berlin. From my short time there it appears to have a bit of everything. Plus German people are the best.


I had some bad experiences with Germans in America. They seemed to swing wildly between sound as strawberry float and unbelievable cuntery. No in between.
Image Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Rocsteady » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah I had the same in Australia, was stuck with a few absolute bellends on an island for a while. Most are nice like anywhere though, although Berlin 's worse than average for it imo because it's filled to the brim with hipsters who think they're the gooseberry fool.
Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Kezzer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Right GRcadians, lets talk luggage - I will be going away for 3 weeks in April and don't particularly want to take a suitcase. My plan is to minimise on the stuff I take with me and have an easy time carting it all around but I have no clue as to what is too small a bag or what is too big

Advice please :wub:
Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Ecno » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:Off to Sydney and Uluru/Ayer's Rock (for four nights and three nights respectively) if anyone has any recommendations. Not going to be jet lagged (hopefully) as there'll only be an hour or two time different in case people are thinking it's a ridiculously short time. It isn't meant to be a whole "let's do Australia trip, as I'm probably going back sometime next year as well, but I'd quite like to knock these two places off the list. The distances between places in Australia constantly surprise me, so getting a few places done this time will make a longer trip a bit easier (won't have to go smack bang in the middle of nowhere for Uluru, basically).

Current plan for Sydney is largely the obvious stuff: Opera House, Bridge, Harbour area and a walk from Bondinto Coogee Beach. Maybe the Blue Mountains for a day trip too.

Uluru will be the rock itself, maybe The Olgas and King's Canyon.


There’s not a whole lot to do at Uluru really, other than Alice Springs there are no large settlements around, it is a pretty desolate place.

I loved it though, Uluru itself is great and Kings Canyon was a good place to walk, if I remember rightly there is a short trail that takes a few hours and a long trail that takes days, we went for the short one. ;) We didn’t do anything else there though as we were pressed for time.

Sydney has plenty to do and all the obvious things (Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc) are all worthwhile, we did a boat trip around the harbour as well which was a lot of fun. If you have the time you have to go to the Blue Mountains, it is incredible there.


At Uluru bring/buy a fly net for your face before you do any walking. It will be awful without one (it was still irritating with).
http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tomous » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 am

Kezzer wrote:Right GRcadians, lets talk luggage - I will be going away for 3 weeks in April and don't particularly want to take a suitcase. My plan is to minimise on the stuff I take with me and have an easy time carting it all around but I have no clue as to what is too small a bag or what is too big

Advice please :wub:


Well first of all, where are you going and what will you be doing?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Tafdolphin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:56 am

Ecno wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:Off to Sydney and Uluru/Ayer's Rock (for four nights and three nights respectively) if anyone has any recommendations. Not going to be jet lagged (hopefully) as there'll only be an hour or two time different in case people are thinking it's a ridiculously short time. It isn't meant to be a whole "let's do Australia trip, as I'm probably going back sometime next year as well, but I'd quite like to knock these two places off the list. The distances between places in Australia constantly surprise me, so getting a few places done this time will make a longer trip a bit easier (won't have to go smack bang in the middle of nowhere for Uluru, basically).

Current plan for Sydney is largely the obvious stuff: Opera House, Bridge, Harbour area and a walk from Bondinto Coogee Beach. Maybe the Blue Mountains for a day trip too.

Uluru will be the rock itself, maybe The Olgas and King's Canyon.


There’s not a whole lot to do at Uluru really, other than Alice Springs there are no large settlements around, it is a pretty desolate place.

I loved it though, Uluru itself is great and Kings Canyon was a good place to walk, if I remember rightly there is a short trail that takes a few hours and a long trail that takes days, we went for the short one. ;) We didn’t do anything else there though as we were pressed for time.

Sydney has plenty to do and all the obvious things (Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc) are all worthwhile, we did a boat trip around the harbour as well which was a lot of fun. If you have the time you have to go to the Blue Mountains, it is incredible there.


At Uluru bring/buy a fly net for your face before you do any walking. It will be awful without one (it was still irritating with).


Seconding Blue Mountains. It is (or was) $11 return on the train and is one of the most stunning areas of the planet I've ever seen.

As for Sydney, I love the Rocks area for bars and the like. That's about it really.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRcade Travel Topic
by Parksey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 am

Well obviously we'll do the Harbour area, and walk from Bondi to Coogee Beach. Might do the zoo as well.

But definitely looking at a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Would people recommend hiring a car? Or using that Hop-on, Hop-off bus service?

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Alvin Flummux, Bing [Bot], Crimson, dab, Dowbocop, FatDaz, Frank, Glowy69, Grumpy David, Kanbei, King Chaz, massimo, NickSCFC, Oblomov Boblomov, Slayerx, Slimgrady, Snowcannon, Tafdolphin, Tineash, Yahoo [Bot] and 81 guests