GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 am

We're not doing the extreme, macho ultimate lad weight lifter image much good here fella's :lol: .

I don't mean to sound patronising as obviously you guys are mostly far more experienced than me but what do you hope to achieve with the strength stuff? I found it really studying at first as it taps into the compulsive videogame thing of seeing numbers get bigger but when I hired my PT he asked me what I was actually trying to achieve to help build my plan. I would obviously like to be strong but honestly, I'm more interested in looking the part such meant going down in weight, someone's quite significantly.

The weight has obviously gone up now as the goal is still progressive overload but it's not the be all and end all of what I'm trying to achieve.

Image
User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Winckle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am

Brerlappin wrote:
Winckle wrote:I'm really struggling with my ohp. I've had to deload to 25kg.

Has anyone ever bought fractional plates? I.e. 0.5kg per plate.


OHP is probably the lift I struggled the most to progress with. Its bloody difficult. But as the others said try and work chin ups in to your routine and that will help with the OHP.
Never seen any plates smaller than 1.25kg tho

Speaking of tho I managed to finally do a full 5x5 of 47.5kg OHP on Saturday after failing at it for the last 2 weeks :D

What I meant was I'd like to step up the weight more slowly, and the Stronglifts site recommends 0.5KG plates so you can step up 1KG at a time, instead of 2.5KG.

I had hoped someone could recommend a good supplier, as I can only find Amazon and ebay suppliers online with mixed reviews. I also don't know where you'd go to buy plates IRL.

Here's the spreadsheet I've been using to track:
Image

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

I think I just struggle i motivate myself without seeing clear, steady progress which isn't always as evident in the mirror as it is in rising numbers.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 am

Winckle wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Winckle wrote:I'm really struggling with my ohp. I've had to deload to 25kg.

Has anyone ever bought fractional plates? I.e. 0.5kg per plate.


OHP is probably the lift I struggled the most to progress with. Its bloody difficult. But as the others said try and work chin ups in to your routine and that will help with the OHP.
Never seen any plates smaller than 1.25kg tho

Speaking of tho I managed to finally do a full 5x5 of 47.5kg OHP on Saturday after failing at it for the last 2 weeks :D

What I meant was I'd like to step up the weight more slowly, and the Stronglifts site recommends 0.5KG plates so you can step up 1KG at a time, instead of 2.5KG.

I had hoped someone could recommend a good supplier, as I can only find Amazon and ebay suppliers online with mixed reviews. I also don't know where you'd go to buy plates IRL.

Here's the spreadsheet I've been using to track:
Image

I'd probably just buy them online and take your chances. If you live in a big city then dedicated fitness shops might have them, would call ahead first though. Or check gumtree, I've bought weights there before.

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am

Need to order some chalk today too actually, ready for when I'm lifting again in a month. Have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift for a while now as I've been trying to only use the double overhand grip to correct imbalances.

Image
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rubix » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 am

+1 for Sciatica, at the moment its stopping me running and playing football not to mention long distant driving. Back at the gym now but only 2 days a week which is down from my 5-6 however im older now and have added running to my fitness plan

Great OP by the way

PLAY | PS4: Red Dead Redemption 2 | PSVR Beat Saber | Switch Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Stardew Valley
WATCH | The Apprentice 2018, Suits S1, The Hunting of Hill House
READ | Behind Closed Doors
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 am

Rocsteady wrote:Need to order some chalk today too actually, ready for when I'm lifting again in a month. Have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift for a while now as I've been trying to only use the double overhand grip to correct imbalances.

Have you tried wrist straps?

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Rocsteady » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am

Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Need to order some chalk today too actually, ready for when I'm lifting again in a month. Have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift for a while now as I've been trying to only use the double overhand grip to correct imbalances.

Have you tried wrist straps?

I haven't, I quite like having calluses though to be honest and would rather try to correct grip strength rather than have it as a weak link. I never used to have problems with heavy gripping so just need to work it back up over time.

Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Hime wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Need to order some chalk today too actually, ready for when I'm lifting again in a month. Have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift for a while now as I've been trying to only use the double overhand grip to correct imbalances.

Have you tried wrist straps?

I haven't, I quite like having calluses though to be honest and would rather try to correct grip strength rather than have it as a weak link. I never used to have problems with heavy gripping so just need to work it back up over time.


I love my calluses :lol: Its probably something to do with not doing sports as a kid or teenager but I always got a kick out of seeing myself covered in bruises and scrapes and gooseberry fool from BJJ, same goes for the calluses. Weird, but there you have it, maybe its just that theyre a visible identifier of hard work or something!


Im also doing my part for the macho, lad weight lifter image today by having to quit mid barbell row cause of that strawberry floating possible hernia pain, attempted some cardio and ended up coughing like an 80yr old chain smoker thanks to these strawberry floating chest problems.. and I think im getting my second cold in 3 weeks. I'm so broken :lol:

I know what you mean but don't you find you end up picking at them :slol:

I find that when my grip strength goes doing dead that I start to pull with my arms and I'm in danger of strawberry floating my lower spine or right trap so I prefer to use the cobra grip wrist straps.

Image
User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by BTB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am

Hime wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Wish I could bench heavy. I'm at 87.5kg at the moment but not even full sets, pretty much maxed out at 3 reps.

What's wrong with that? Isn't the rough goal to bench bodyweight, squat 1.5 times and deadlift 2 times?

Hadn't really seen that split out like tyhat before. If that is the case then my squat is what is letting me down. I'm 65kg (on average):
Bench 62.5kg
Squat 72.5kg
Deadlift 110kg (have managed 120kg for 1RM once, but that was a while ago...)
OHP 35kg

All of the above would be 3x5, apart from bench that would probably be more like 3x8 I think. So judging by that I'm a good 20kg off for squats, I have regressed a bit on squats I think, but not sure as to why, no real injury or anything. What would be the best tips to increase squat? Just get used to heavier or go lower and increase reps?

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

So it turns out I probably tore a ligament in my ankle weekend before last.
gooseberry fool.

User avatar
Igor
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Not telling...

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Igor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Not sure if I've done something terrible to my left tricep. I had my first day at the gym in over a year on Monday. Did some tricep extensions and skullcrushers as part of the routine and my left arm has been incredibly sore ever since.

Not sure if it's just intense DOMS or something else. Right arm is okay (expected level of soreness after more than a year off) but I can't even fully bend my left arm. Just feels very very tight.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Hime » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:26 pm

BTB wrote:
Hime wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Wish I could bench heavy. I'm at 87.5kg at the moment but not even full sets, pretty much maxed out at 3 reps.

What's wrong with that? Isn't the rough goal to bench bodyweight, squat 1.5 times and deadlift 2 times?

Hadn't really seen that split out like tyhat before. If that is the case then my squat is what is letting me down. I'm 65kg (on average):
Bench 62.5kg
Squat 72.5kg
Deadlift 110kg (have managed 120kg for 1RM once, but that was a while ago...)
OHP 35kg

All of the above would be 3x5, apart from bench that would probably be more like 3x8 I think. So judging by that I'm a good 20kg off for squats, I have regressed a bit on squats I think, but not sure as to why, no real injury or anything. What would be the best tips to increase squat? Just get used to heavier or go lower and increase reps?

It's not a hard and fast rule, just a general guide. Surprised your bench is so close to your squat, are you quite a stocky guy?

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Grumpy David » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Rocsteady wrote:Talking about when you were 19 though, I found progression much easier back then. Maybe just because I was more dedicated and focussed but I feel like prior muscle tears are starting to weigh on me now. 100kg bench with a spotter recently had me extremely worried for my wrist ligaments.


I think the main reason I found gym gainz easier at that time was because University took up far less time than working full time and I could hit the gym during the day rather than 7.45PM when I've worked the whole day, walked 4 miles and am feeling hunger that I have to exercise through. The DOMS were certainly just as bad back then even if it's 9 years ago now.


Hime wrote:We're not doing the extreme, macho ultimate lad weight lifter image much good here fella's :lol: .

I don't mean to sound patronising as obviously you guys are mostly far more experienced than me but what do you hope to achieve with the strength stuff? I found it really studying at first as it taps into the compulsive videogame thing of seeing numbers get bigger but when I hired my PT he asked me what I was actually trying to achieve to help build my plan. I would obviously like to be strong but honestly, I'm more interested in looking the part such meant going down in weight, someone's quite significantly.

The weight has obviously gone up now as the goal is still progressive overload but it's not the be all and end all of what I'm trying to achieve.


I originally started strength training because Starting Strength was such an easy weightlifting programme to follow and the increasing strength was addictive. It made sense to me to gain strength when it's easiest to (during noob gainz stage) before later deciding to switch to bodybuilding when a decent level of technique and strength exists for the foundation. However I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to see how strong I could get and intended to enter Powerlifting competitions - for my age group (19-20) and weight at the time (90KG), I was quite strong: 182.5KG, 112.5KG and 190KG (weak bench!) so would have done alright.

After the 4 year hiatus from the gym, I returned with less ambitious goals - regain strength, gain muscle I'd lost (and then some) and try cut some fat (body re-composition). A stronger muscle is a bigger muscle and more motivating to train due to progress being easier to measure. Strength training does gain muscular size, just in a less direct way.

TBH, I kinda don't train for strength or bodybuilding, more just have them as side effects of training.

Currently I'm doing:

Bench Press 3x5 or 4x8 (Dumbbell bench once every 2 weeks or so)
Pull Ups 3x10 (need to buy a belt to add weight as this is too easy now)
1 mile run or 90KG Trap Bar Deadlifts 2x8
Bicep Curls (very rarely)
1 or 2 sets of Pull Ups more to tire myself out

OR

Overhead Press 3x5 or 4x8 (Dumbbell bench once every 2 weeks or so)
Pull Ups 3x10 (need to buy a belt to add weight as this is too easy now)
1 mile run or 90KG Trap Bar Deadlifts 2x8
Bicep Curls (very rarely)
1 or 2 sets of Pull Ups more to tire myself out

It doesn't really have much of a structure as you can see. :slol:

My gym goal is more modest: Maintain bodyweight, improve body composition. Don't return to weighing 104KG @5'10.

User avatar
BTB
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ashtead

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by BTB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 am

Hime wrote:
BTB wrote:
Hime wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Wish I could bench heavy. I'm at 87.5kg at the moment but not even full sets, pretty much maxed out at 3 reps.

What's wrong with that? Isn't the rough goal to bench bodyweight, squat 1.5 times and deadlift 2 times?

Hadn't really seen that split out like tyhat before. If that is the case then my squat is what is letting me down. I'm 65kg (on average):
Bench 62.5kg
Squat 72.5kg
Deadlift 110kg (have managed 120kg for 1RM once, but that was a while ago...)
OHP 35kg

All of the above would be 3x5, apart from bench that would probably be more like 3x8 I think. So judging by that I'm a good 20kg off for squats, I have regressed a bit on squats I think, but not sure as to why, no real injury or anything. What would be the best tips to increase squat? Just get used to heavier or go lower and increase reps?

It's not a hard and fast rule, just a general guide. Surprised your bench is so close to your squat, are you quite a stocky guy?


I wouldn't describe myself as stocky, but I'm not exactly tall at 5'9.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am

Brerlappin wrote:http://imgur.com/j0NnUGj

:lol: :lol: :lol:


strawberry floating hell. Got what he deserved there.

Been 3 weeks since I did my ankle, and it's getting better, but still not there yet. I just want to get back to things, but don't want to do anything to set me back. Nice having a sleep in during the week, mind.

User avatar
I Believe In Stool Bloke
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by I Believe In Stool Bloke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 am

Did a spin class this morning for the first time ever. 8-)

My bum cannot handle those awful seats!

Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by That's not a growth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah, I don't get that about the spin bikes. strawberry floating awful. Maybe it's to force you to stand while cycling, and thus put in more effort?

User avatar
I Believe In Stool Bloke
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by I Believe In Stool Bloke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 pm

There was plenty of standing going on. There would then follow the dilemma of relieving your legs by sitting down only to reignite the flame of horror burning into your bum crack.

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: GRFit | Fitness | Weightifting | Martial Arts | Join the club! Or do it next week.
by Grumpy David » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Did a spin class this morning for the first time ever. 8-)

My bum cannot handle those awful seats!


I've heard nothing but horror stories about those seats. Including bruised lady parts as a result of them. Imagine something that's evolved to take a pounding still getting bruised. :dread:


Return to “Stuff”