Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Preezy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Hexx wrote:Sooo....any tips on how to get video files from PC to play through Smart TV?

I put all my video files (normally MP4 or MKV) onto my external hard-drive and just plug it in the USB port on the TV. Most if not all new TVs have a media menu that shows the content of the hard-drive. My new LG even shows thumbnails of the films and shows I've got on there, quite neat.

I think Sony TVs still need the hard-drive to be formatted into fat32, whatever that is.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Sleighamorph » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Use Plex

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Hexx » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Preezy wrote:
Hexx wrote:Sooo....any tips on how to get video files from PC to play through Smart TV?

I put all my video files (normally MP4 or MKV) onto my external hard-drive and just plug it in the USB port on the TV. Most if not all new TVs have a media menu that shows the content of the hard-drive. My new LG even shows thumbnails of the films and shows I've got on there, quite neat.

I think Sony TVs still need the hard-drive to be formatted into fat32, whatever that is.


But then I'd need a HDD, a Cable and going behind the TV etc.

Must be a way to do over network...

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Sleighamorph » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Hexx wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Hexx wrote:Sooo....any tips on how to get video files from PC to play through Smart TV?

I put all my video files (normally MP4 or MKV) onto my external hard-drive and just plug it in the USB port on the TV. Most if not all new TVs have a media menu that shows the content of the hard-drive. My new LG even shows thumbnails of the films and shows I've got on there, quite neat.

I think Sony TVs still need the hard-drive to be formatted into fat32, whatever that is.


But then I'd need a HDD, a Cable and going behind the TV etc.

Must be a way to do over network...

Plex.

Install it on your PC, point it at the folder where your files are, then install the Plex app on your TV.
Streams your files over the local network, and supports multiple audio/subtitle tracks embedded in files.

And it's free.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Hexx » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm

We'll see Laga...

We'll see...

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by HSH28 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Hexx wrote:We'll see Laga...

We'll see...


Plex is brilliant. Depending on the TV you've got you might not have to install the app either.

User avatar
Snowy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Snowy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Remember that MP4 and MKV are just containers for an orgy of other file formats. This means that a TV might be able to read one type of MKV file but then not bother depending on the video or audio codec stipulated when making the MKV file. A Plex server will transcode to suit the Plex app on the fly (provided the computer is powerful enough).

If the video codec and audio codec used to encode the data held within the file container match the formats supported by your TV then you'll just be able to directly stream the content. If not the machine hosting the Plex server will have to decode all of the data and then recode it to a suitable format before it'll appear on your TV screen. The main factors that would limit your ability to do this would be processing power of the host machine and the resolution you want to see on the screen. The correlation is that as resolution goes up, so does CPU processing power requirements.

MP4 is more limited in the codec formats it accepts and will nearly always be a variant of H.XXX which nearly all TVs support so you're less likely to have any problems with it.


Return to “Stuff”