NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by NickSCFC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:16 am

Sony just unveiled a 4K HDR OLED TV

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14 ... 2017-specs

Image

Kaz :wub:
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by KK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 am

While it looks amazing, completely removing the stand means the TV isn't jacked up therefore making sound bar placement very awkward. You're going to cover the lower part of the screen otherwise. Sony have just unveiled a new sound bar that is designed to fire sound off the ceiling but you obviously wouldn't be able to do that if the sound bar has to sit on a lower platform.

So it other words it's a wall-mount job.
Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am

KKLEIN wrote:While it looks amazing, completely removing the stand means the TV isn't jacked up therefore making sound bar placement very awkward. You're going to cover the lower part of the screen otherwise. Sony have just unveiled a new sound bar that is designed to fire sound off the ceiling but you obviously wouldn't be able to do that if the sound bar has to sit on a lower platform.

So it other words it's a wall-mount job.


That, or ditch the soundbar and get standing speakers / a sound system worthy of the screen.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

I think I'm going to go with Samsung and a new QLED set when they become available.
Samsung seems to be the company most interested in the main point of a screen which is picture quality as I don't care about a TV being ultra thin as I don't wall mount and I need a stand so the Sony design seems out as well. As ever it will all depend on reviews from the usual suspects like AV Forums and digital foundry bur so far QLED is looking like my choice for my upgrade this year.

There are 3 models available so I'm going for the middle of the range and just hope it isn't priced insanely.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by BOR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by jawafour » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Buying a TV seems to be a complete minefield at the moment. Full HD, 4K, refresh rates, lag, HDR (uhm, which type?), OLED, LED (backlit? Edge-lit?), curved or flat... it seems so messy. My biggest thing is how few HDMI sockets some screens seem to have (IMO there should be at least four)... and what *type* of HDMI?

It's crazy stuff!
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by Rax » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

jawafour wrote:Buying a TV seems to be a complete minefield at the moment. Full HD, 4K, refresh rates, lag, HDR (uhm, which type?), OLED, LED (backlit? Edge-lit?), curved or flat... it seems so messy. My biggest thing is how few HDMI sockets some screens seem to have (IMO there should be at least four)... and what *type* of HDMI?

It's crazy stuff!

Thats the thing that annoys me most. Its not insane to think a TV would have a Sky box, Blu Ray player, Chromecast and a console connected, thats 4 slots needed, but 3 is the most Ive seen on new TVs. I know the average consumer will only have 1 or 2 devices but it cant be that expensive to add more HDMI slots can it?
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by KK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?

For that price there doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it. It's also reviewed well, though don't expect HDR to be the real-deal:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 230/review
http://www.s21.com/panasonic-tx-50dx700b.htm
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic ... 00b-review

Input lag for gaming at around 39ms, so more than Samsung sets but in-line/less than others from LG and Sony.
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by BOR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

KKLEIN wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?

For that price there doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it. It's also reviewed well, though don't expect HDR to be the real-deal:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 230/review
http://www.s21.com/panasonic-tx-50dx700b.htm
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic ... 00b-review

Input lag for gaming at around 39ms, so more than Samsung sets but in-line/less than others from LG and Sony.

Cheers for the links! I'll read these properly later.
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Coconut Bob
Location: Manchester

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by Jamo3103 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:39 pm

The thing that really puts me off upgrading to a 4K TV at the moment is that the goalposts seem to keep moving, first it was HDR, now it's HDMI 2.1 which if I want PC Gaming at high frame rates is going to be essential.

The new Sony OLED ones look great and as a long time fan of Sony TV's they were what I was waiting for, but if they don't incorporate the new HDMI standard I'd be reluctant to put my money on the table for one.
Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by KK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

I think it's one of those things you can find yourself perpetually waiting on forever. There will never truly be a perfect time to jump in, especially now, because there is always going to be something better on the horizon. I guess it depends when you want to start experiencing 4K/HDR and what you're personally using it for and how much you're willing to pay. Many of the features announced at CES for example are irrelevant for current gen consoles or TV from Sky Q, Amazon, BT etc.

That new Sony OLED is probably going to come in at just under £3000 which is just too much for me.
Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by NickSCFC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I think I'm going to go with Samsung and a new QLED set when they become available.


In terms of picture quality

OLED > QLED

QLED is just a fancy new name for Quantum Dot, the black levels still don't match OLED.

Non-OLED TVs look great in brightly lit stores, but once you get it home and turn off the lights those ugly greys come out to play.
Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by KingK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:08 pm

If you go for a Samsung that comes with an Evolution Kit (a separate box that has all the HDMI, Ethernet, Coaxial, etc connections) then you can replace that Evo Kit down the line and keep the same screen. It's a great idea to keep your tv current even in 2 - 4 yrs time.

Our Samsung 65HU8500 was bought in Nov 2014 and has 4 HDMIs (and I agree with the above that there are not enough HDMI slots on most TVs). But only 1 of those HDMIs is HDCP 2.2 which you need to get true 4k picture. However the next version of the Evo Kit (SEK 3500) has all 4 HDMIs supporting HDCP 2.2. That new box is £399 (but out of stock everywhere). That's a lot of money but if you've ponied up over £3k on a TV like we did 2 yrs ago then it's proportionate.
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by BOR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Just BORbles wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?

For that price there doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it. It's also reviewed well, though don't expect HDR to be the real-deal:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 230/review
http://www.s21.com/panasonic-tx-50dx700b.htm
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic ... 00b-review

Input lag for gaming at around 39ms, so more than Samsung sets but in-line/less than others from LG and Sony.

Cheers for the links! I'll read these properly later.

I have read these all and it seems like I probably better off to buy Panasonic TX-50DX750B for extra £150-£200. Hmm...
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by HSH28 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?

For that price there doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it. It's also reviewed well, though don't expect HDR to be the real-deal:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 230/review
http://www.s21.com/panasonic-tx-50dx700b.htm
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic ... 00b-review

Input lag for gaming at around 39ms, so more than Samsung sets but in-line/less than others from LG and Sony.

Cheers for the links! I'll read these properly later.

I have read these all and it seems like I probably better off to buy Panasonic TX-50DX750B for extra £150-£200. Hmm...


At which point you are better off buying the Samsung UE49KS7000U, currently its at £849, but its been £50 cheaper a couple of times (Black Friday and from after Christmas till last week), will probably go that low again if you can wait around a bit.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by KK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Keep in mind the retailers will be in offload season too to make room for all the 2017 models. There's a very short period where you can get them for enormous discounts before they're removed from sale.
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by BOR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:28 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:I am looking for a new 4K TV soon and which one is good for all-round user like PS4 Pro, films and TV.

I always like the Panasonic ones, so any recommendation would be welcome.

Is this one any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 8-pdt.html

Anyone?

For that price there doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it. It's also reviewed well, though don't expect HDR to be the real-deal:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 230/review
http://www.s21.com/panasonic-tx-50dx700b.htm
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic ... 00b-review

Input lag for gaming at around 39ms, so more than Samsung sets but in-line/less than others from LG and Sony.

Cheers for the links! I'll read these properly later.

I have read these all and it seems like I probably better off to buy Panasonic TX-50DX750B for extra £150-£200. Hmm...


At which point you are better off buying the Samsung UE49KS7000U, currently its at £849, but its been £50 cheaper a couple of times (Black Friday and from after Christmas till last week), will probably go that low again if you can wait around a bit.

Is there any reason why Samsung is better off buying?

That TV looks good too.

Panasonic TX-50DX750B
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 0-pdt.html

Samsung UE49KS7000U
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom ... 2-pdt.html

I may need to research more on both sets.
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by HSH28 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Just BORbles wrote:Is there any reason why Samsung is better off buying?


That Samsung set is Ultra HD Premium certified, the Panasonic set is way down the range from that certification.

Basically just means that the HDR specs on the Samsung set are better than the ones on the Panasonic set, its also better for gaming with a lower latency.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... hdr-gaming
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by BOR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:Is there any reason why Samsung is better off buying?


That Samsung set is Ultra HD Premium certified, the Panasonic set is way down the range from that certification.

Basically just means that the HDR specs on the Samsung set are better than the ones on the Panasonic set, its also better for gaming with a lower latency.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... hdr-gaming

Yeah that's true. Mainly, it's for PS4 Pro and TV user too. I'll have a look at shops to see it for myself.

Cheers for the advice.
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NickSCFC presents: the HDTV thread
by Peter Crisp » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

I can't wait for the reviews and testing of this years bunch of new sets.
I expect them to start appearing about the end of February or is that overly optimistic?
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JediDragon05, Met and 38 guests