Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 am

Poser wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Anyone having issues playing Amazon Prime videos in 4K on Sony Android TV?

4K plays fine on Netflix and Planet Earth looks stunning, but no 4K content appears on Amazon Prime and the shows/movies that, according to various websites, should be 4K only play in HD.


It's been the same on my LG TV for some time. Stuff that should 100% be available in 4k just isn't there.

I've tried raising it with them, but I get too annoyed at the 'is your tv compatible, is your connection fast enough, have you got the latest version of the app' basic noob questions.

I've tried reinstalling the app, too, but nothing.

Reddit thread confirming we are not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... _on_lg_c7/


That actually solved it :lol:

I followed the the instructions, scrolled down to TV genres and was actually able to find the Ultra HD section on Amazon.

Man in he High Castle started at HDR 1080P, then changed to Ultra HD after about 20 seconds

User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Seven Posers Posing » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Poser wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Anyone having issues playing Amazon Prime videos in 4K on Sony Android TV?

4K plays fine on Netflix and Planet Earth looks stunning, but no 4K content appears on Amazon Prime and the shows/movies that, according to various websites, should be 4K only play in HD.


It's been the same on my LG TV for some time. Stuff that should 100% be available in 4k just isn't there.

I've tried raising it with them, but I get too annoyed at the 'is your tv compatible, is your connection fast enough, have you got the latest version of the app' basic noob questions.

I've tried reinstalling the app, too, but nothing.

Reddit thread confirming we are not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... _on_lg_c7/


That actually solved it :lol:

I followed the the instructions, scrolled down to TV genres and was actually able to find the Ultra HD section on Amazon.

Man in he High Castle started at HDR 1080P, then changed to Ultra HD after about 20 seconds


:D I don't know if I actually tried that... I'll have to give it a go. :fp:

Image
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 am

Poser wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Poser wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Anyone having issues playing Amazon Prime videos in 4K on Sony Android TV?

4K plays fine on Netflix and Planet Earth looks stunning, but no 4K content appears on Amazon Prime and the shows/movies that, according to various websites, should be 4K only play in HD.


It's been the same on my LG TV for some time. Stuff that should 100% be available in 4k just isn't there.

I've tried raising it with them, but I get too annoyed at the 'is your tv compatible, is your connection fast enough, have you got the latest version of the app' basic noob questions.

I've tried reinstalling the app, too, but nothing.

Reddit thread confirming we are not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... _on_lg_c7/


That actually solved it :lol:

I followed the the instructions, scrolled down to TV genres and was actually able to find the Ultra HD section on Amazon.

Man in he High Castle started at HDR 1080P, then changed to Ultra HD after about 20 seconds


:D I don't know if I actually tried that... I'll have to give it a go. :fp:


Searching "Ultra HD" kinda works too, it brought up the same TV shows that were under that section, however the movies listed (like Elysium) seem stuck at 1080p, I've tried pausing then resuming to allow it to buffer but that doesn't work.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Bloke I know with an OLED from a couple of years ago has managed to get screen burn-in on his TV. He’s gutted, though currently taking it up with LG. Looks like a combination of Sky News and FIFA has done him in.

I look forward to hearing about the old ‘You were using it wrong’ routine.

To be fair he’s not having a good run with his premium tech; dirt somehow buggered up his MacBook keyboard.

Image
User avatar
SerialCeler
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Booripides
Location: Stuck in the Tron machine

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by SerialCeler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm

My brother's planning to buy a new TV next weekend. Probably toward the lower end of the £500-£1000 range. Not bigger than 50" I would have thought.

Any tips on what he should be looking out for? Best OS, for example?

Any tips gratefully received.

Image

Latest GRecommends:

Nintendo Network ID: SerialCeler (Switch: 5559-9603-3982) | Xbox Live: Serial Celer
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Advent7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Don't buy a sony tv if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).

NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Ad7 wrote:Don't buy a sony tv if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).


I've brought one of the new 43" 4K LCD sets for £600 and the Android OS is buttery smooth. Philips, Toshiba, Hisense and a few others have recently switched to Android too so I see it being the default smart platform going forward.

Really impressed with the universal search and Google Assistant too.

Last edited by NickSCFC on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:10 pm

If OS is important a very popular choice is the Samsung UE49NU8000, which comes in at around £750 for 49'', but on a good day could be picked up for less than £700.

Reviews here: https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-nu8000, https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000.

Image
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:12 pm

KK wrote:If OS is important a very popular choice is the Samsung


Android (Sony, Toshiba, Philips, Tizen (Samsung) and WebOS (LG) are the only safe bets going forward, the other systems like Panasonic and Firefox will be to TV what Symbian and BBOS were to smartphones.

Image

Last edited by NickSCFC on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by BID0 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Ad7 wrote:Don't buy a sony tv if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).

Don't buy a Sony anything if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).

NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:26 pm

BID0 wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Don't buy a sony tv if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).

Don't buy a Sony anything if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).


Oreo update solved the Android TV issues

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Peter Crisp » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:32 pm

The PS4 has a better OS than the XBox but I don't think that really helps Sony here as the xbox OS is so gooseberry fool it would be hard to make something worse.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:The PS4 has a better OS than the XBox but I don't think that really helps Sony here as the xbox OS is so gooseberry fool it would be hard to make something worse.


Microsoft missed the smart TV boat the same way they missed the smartphone boat. Google were building a smart TV partner portfolio with the god awful Google TV OS while Microsoft were still fumbling around with Windows Mobile.

Now Android owns the smart TV market with only Samsung as competition.

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by BID0 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Microsoft really are pretty terrible at taking their ideas to mass market. They were first there with Media Centre and as you mention Windows Mobile :lol:

I think they have a lot of innovative people on staff who create all this stuff but the company doesn't really pursue it afterwards. How much money have they spent on Xbox and the million different media players and phones since other companies have got involved :fp:

NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:22 pm

BID0 wrote:I think they have a lot of innovative people on staff who create all this stuff but the company doesn't really pursue it afterwards. How much money have they spent on Xbox and the million different media players and phones since other companies have got involved :fp:


The point of Xbox was to take Microsoft out of the office and bedrooms and into the living rooms. When they first started talking about the "Direct X Box" back in the late 90s you thought they'd completely walk it.

18 years later and it's looking very clear that Google, Sony and Samsung now dominate this area and Microsoft only have themselves to blame thanks to the sheer incompetency during the Balmer/Mattrick era.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:The PS4 has a better OS than the XBox but I don't think that really helps Sony here as the xbox OS is so gooseberry fool it would be hard to make something worse.


The PS4 isn’t really any better. They are both appalling.

User avatar
Snowy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by Snowy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

BID0 wrote:
Ad7 wrote:Don't buy a sony tv if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).

Don't buy a Sony anything if you want a good OS (going on what people have said in here).


I still they've got the best picture quality across nearly all of the price ranges.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by KK » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Oh, can’t fault the picture quality. It’s one area I’ve always been very happy with when it comes to Sony TVs. Design is exceptional as well.

Right at the top end however (OLED) the LG and Sony are equal (same panel as well, produced by LG), and the LG is cheaper, so I don’t know why you’d choose the Sony unless it was on offer.

Image
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by NickSCFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 pm

KK wrote:Right at the top end however (OLED) the LG and Sony are equal (same panel as well, produced by LG), and the LG is cheaper, so I don’t know why you’d choose the Sony unless it was on offer.


Superior image processing and OS preference?

User avatar
SerialCeler
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Booripides
Location: Stuck in the Tron machine

PostRe: Denster presents: The 4K HDR HDTV Thread
by SerialCeler » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Image

Latest GRecommends:

Nintendo Network ID: SerialCeler (Switch: 5559-9603-3982) | Xbox Live: Serial Celer

Return to “Stuff”