HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Hyperion » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 am

RichardUK wrote:
Jezo wrote:I don't get the whole 'teas and coffees' thing. Everyone at work goes nuts for it, but I drink neither and don't really like either. Is it just a british thing?


I am the same I don’t drink tea


You're a disgrace to the flag

Image Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Drumstick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

Hyperion wrote:
RichardUK wrote:
Jezo wrote:I don't get the whole 'teas and coffees' thing. Everyone at work goes nuts for it, but I drink neither and don't really like either. Is it just a british thing?

I am the same I don’t drink tea

You're a disgrace to the flag

:lol:

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Vermilion » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 am

RichardUK wrote:I am the same I don’t drink tea


Shame on you.

Shame, shame, shame, SHAME...

Image

ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Robbo-92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 am

I live on tea, specifically Yorkshire tea.

Image

Image
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am

Earfolds wrote:Some people might like hot drinks while others prefer cold drinks, but only a psychopath would prefer their drinks room-temperature.


Water comes out the tap colder than room temperature, so drinking things at room temperature sounds like quite an effort

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Moggy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am

Hyperion wrote:
RichardUK wrote:
Jezo wrote:I don't get the whole 'teas and coffees' thing. Everyone at work goes nuts for it, but I drink neither and don't really like either. Is it just a british thing?


I am the same I don’t drink tea


You're a disgrace to the flag


:lol:

Is he even British?

User avatar
Tsunade
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Tsunade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 am

I drink loads of tea and coffee but i think it's just the norm for me. I was drinking tea aged 3 out of a sippy cup and called it a "spuggy", no idea why I called it that.

Ella is the opposite, she has hot chocolates on the rare occasion but doesn't like tea.

Image
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Moggy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

Tsunade wrote:I drink loads of tea and coffee but i think it's just the norm for me. I was drinking tea aged 3 out of a sippy cup and called it a "spuggy", no idea why I called it that.

Ella is the opposite, she has hot chocolates on the rare occasion but doesn't like tea.


My lad love helping me make a cup of tea. He’ll shout “hot!” when the kettle has boiled and then demands to have the spoon so that he can stir it. He refuses to actually drink it though. :lol:

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 am

Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
RichardUK wrote:
Jezo wrote:I don't get the whole 'teas and coffees' thing. Everyone at work goes nuts for it, but I drink neither and don't really like either. Is it just a british thing?


I am the same I don’t drink tea


You're a disgrace to the flag


:lol:

Is he even British?


To be fair, he loves the Queen, and neither is she

User avatar
Tsunade
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Tsunade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 am

Moggy wrote:
Tsunade wrote:I drink loads of tea and coffee but i think it's just the norm for me. I was drinking tea aged 3 out of a sippy cup and called it a "spuggy", no idea why I called it that.

Ella is the opposite, she has hot chocolates on the rare occasion but doesn't like tea.


My lad love helping me make a cup of tea. He’ll shout “hot!” when the kettle has boiled and then demands to have the spoon so that he can stir it. He refuses to actually drink it though. :lol:

She was the same, now she happily makes me one if I ask her nicely when I'm busy.

Image
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Moggy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
RichardUK wrote:
Jezo wrote:I don't get the whole 'teas and coffees' thing. Everyone at work goes nuts for it, but I drink neither and don't really like either. Is it just a british thing?


I am the same I don’t drink tea


You're a disgrace to the flag


:lol:

Is he even British?


To be fair, he loves the Queen, and neither is she


She was born in London. Her dad was born in Norfolk and her mum was born in London.

She’s British.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am

That's what the Lizards want you to believe

User avatar
Bleachyleachy
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Bleachyleachy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Just accepted a new job offer. My training will begin in Newry, Northern Ireland next month. Following a few months of training I'll be out on client sites, which the firm has all over the world - from Hong Kong to Singapore to Johannesburg and more. I'm hoping that I can get a contract in New York City as I'd kill for the chance to move to the USA in the future. Hoping this job will help me get my foot in the door

It's a software engineeing job. I'm aware that there's a few developers here - if you've any tips for learning how to be a good programmer I'm all ears, as this is quite a dramatic change for me! (My last job was in mechanical design engineering, and I admittedly wasn't the best programmer in university)
I'm looking forward to developing a new skill however, it'll be another string to my bow that with any luck will serve me well

Image
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Congrats! I've been in software development for four years now, I only did a very very little at uni and had done no programming before, so I've learned as I've gone.

The number one skill you need is searching the internet. Stack overflow will become a good friend. Be continuously optimising your process so you don't waste time doing things that aren't thinking. Automate where you can. Always write tests. Write code for readability and maintainability, not brevity. Stay tidy and organised.

Good luck!

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Karl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing the tech you're working with, but a large part of good programming is all about documentation. The "why I'm doing this" should appear in comments, and the "how I'm doing this" should be readable via your choice of variable and function names. Every time you start coding a new task, pop it in a function or a subroutine and name it descriptively.

If you do this you've made a big step towards coding in a way that's easy to read, test, and reuse. :)

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Jezo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Fucl my life.

Had my graduation today, was great meeting up with some friends again, but some people from my course wanted to do the ol' hat toss for a picture. Everyone throws their hats in the air, the wind blows gooseberry fool, what I think was my hat ends up nailing my friend on the head. Idek if I took the same hat after, but he went to the loo and found his head was bleeding a little. He stuck around for the reception and buffet, but right now he's sitting in A&E to see if he needs stitches.

Moral of the story kids, don't throw your hats on graduation day.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Sounds like a bloody good graduation

User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Jezo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Sounds like a bloody good graduation

strawberry float

Image
Image
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by Karl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Jezo wrote:Fucl my life.

Had my graduation today, was great meeting up with some friends again, but some people from my course wanted to do the ol' hat toss for a picture. Everyone throws their hats in the air, the wind blows gooseberry fool, what I think was my hat ends up nailing my friend on the head. Idek if I took the same hat after, but he went to the loo and found his head was bleeding a little. He stuck around for the reception and buffet, but right now he's sitting in A&E to see if he needs stitches.

Moral of the story kids, don't throw your hats on graduation day.

I'm sorry for your friend, but why did they feel the need to go to A&E? Did they seriously fear concussion from a mortarboard? Would the cut not stop bleeding even after holding a wad of tissues over it? Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like it needn't have ruined their day...!

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: HDYFRN - If You Don't Use It, It's Gone
by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Jezo wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:Sounds like a bloody good graduation

strawberry float


I'd have been mortarfied


Return to “Stuff”