HORIZON vs ZELDA!

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by mic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:25 pm

HSH28 wrote:Still sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't played the game.


Of course I'm routinely blown away by Zelda, like Kakariko villiage in the rain, or the subtle depth of field that kicks in whenever you lock-on to something.

However, from what I've seen of horizon, it also has a vibrant world filled with life that is, as you say, technically superior, and even more so on the pro. For example, horizon probably doesn't have the pop-in that Zelda is subjected to - which isn't a problem as such, but nevertheless has to give horizon some merit, surely?

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by HSH28 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 am

mic wrote:
HSH28 wrote:Still sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't played the game.


Of course I'm routinely blown away by Zelda, like Kakariko villiage in the rain, or the subtle depth of field that kicks in whenever you lock-on to something.

However, from what I've seen of horizon, it also has a vibrant world filled with life that is, as you say, technically superior, and even more so on the pro. For example, horizon probably doesn't have the pop-in that Zelda is subjected to - which isn't a problem as such, but nevertheless has to give horizon some merit, surely?


Of course technically Horizon is better, it just hasn't quite wowed me in the same way that Zelda has at points.

Horizon feels like in playing inside a technical masterpiece, Breath of the Wild feels like I'm playing inside a world.

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by mic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am

more heat than light wrote:Great time to own an Xbox One. 8-)

:dread:


I know, right?

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by KjGarly » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 am

Horizon is a little more than a pretty AAA open-world game. Guerrilla took a huge chance going from Killzone to Horizon, more so because a lot of people just aren't fans of the Killzone franchise. So hats off to them for making not only the best looking open-world console game released so far, but a game with likeable characters and a world with tons to do and see. Don't get me wrong, I plan on getting a Switch sometime this year and Zelda will definitely be a purchase and from what I've seen, even when the adverts have shown on TV, I've thought it looked brilliant and really look forward to playing it eventually.

So yeah, Horizon all the way.

Image Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Fade » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

These games aren't in any way similar apart from the fact they are open world and you use a bow and arrow.

Image
User avatar
chalkitdown
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cork

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by chalkitdown » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Fade wrote:These games aren't in any way similar apart from the fact they are open world and you use a bow and arrow.


So you're saying they are similar in some ways?

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by jiggles » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Fade wrote:These games aren't in any way similar apart from the fact they are open world and you use a bow and arrow.


And catch mounts.
And hunt wildlife.
And gather materials.
And revolve around high-technology in a low-tech era.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by mic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

That's what I thought! VERY similar. Although they'd never come out and say it, could this be sony's answer to Zelda, which we've known about for a few years now? The release timing seems a bit more than coincidental...

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Moggy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm

jiggles wrote:
Fade wrote:These games aren't in any way similar apart from the fact they are open world and you use a bow and arrow.


And catch mounts.
And hunt wildlife.
And gather materials.
And revolve around high-technology in a low-tech era.


All right, but apart from the open world, the bow and arrow, the mounts, the hunting of wildlife, the gathering of materials, the high tech/low tech, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

User avatar
zXe
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by zXe » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm

I haven't played Horizon but I'd like to give it a try.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Hime » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:32 pm

jiggles wrote:
Fade wrote:These games aren't in any way similar apart from the fact they are open world and you use a bow and arrow.


And catch mounts.
And hunt wildlife.
And gather materials.
And revolve around high-technology in a low-tech era.

Most of that is synonymous with 'open world' these days.

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Frank » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Is GTA a low-tech era?

Image
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by jiggles » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Frank wrote:Is GTA a low-tech era?


On PS3, maybe.


Ayyyyy, boize

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by HSH28 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Frank wrote:
jiggles wrote:No ridiculous weapon wear


I think this alone makes Horizon the better game.


Well that's just silly.

The weapon wear in Zelda is fine. It'd be an issue if there was a problem getting hold of new weapons...but there never is. All it really does is make sure you use a variety of weapons.

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by jiggles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 am

So you're saying you're forced to keep switching weapons because they always break, rather than choosing to keep switching weapons because it's actually enjoyable to do so.

Fun mechanic.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by mic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am

In other games, I tend to just only use the most powerful weapon of its type - everything else is sold at the first opportunity or instantly discarded.

the eponymous bollock
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by the eponymous bollock » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am

Having such a variety of cool looking weapons, the challenge of collecting them all, the fun of learning how they're used and the great feeling you get upon completing a challenge or exploring the world and being rewarded with one you've never seen all add way more to the game than a weapon breaking takes away.

User avatar
mic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: I'm on my way...

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by mic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 am

...Does Horizon have such a wide variety of cool-looking weapons?

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Frank » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am

the eponymous bollock wrote:the challenge of collecting them all


Does the challenge there come from the fact that thanks to the weapons breaking you'll never be able to collect them all?

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: HORIZON vs ZELDA!
by Preezy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 am

HSH28 wrote:
Frank wrote:
jiggles wrote:No ridiculous weapon wear

I think this alone makes Horizon the better game.

Well that's just silly.
The weapon wear in Zelda is fine. It'd be an issue if there was a problem getting hold of new weapons...but there never is. All it really does is make sure you use a variety of weapons.

The issue that I've seen with this (on various youtube videos/reviews, not played it myself) is that often you will use up a decent weapon fighting an enemy, who will then drop a weapon that was worse than the one you were using, which encourages you to actually avoid getting into scraps because engaging in combat often leaves you in a worse situation than if you'd avoided it altogether.

Doesn't sound like a particularly fun or helpful mechanic, I know people have their Zelda goggles on but I don't think that's being unfair.

Last edited by Preezy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bertie, Bing [Bot], Frank, mcjihge2, Miguel007, SerialCeler, Ste, That's not a growth and 52 guests