It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

The GF is immensely critical of Australia's government, and reckons she did the right thing getting out of there when she did. It's certainly very interesting, sociologically, to look at what they do.
Image Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by lex-man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

I don't really get the appeal of Australia although I'm really thinking about leaving the UK at the moment.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Tafdolphin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:You're not missing much.

I don't really like living in the UK either, too much scum around. I probably need to move planet.

:lol:

Australia has a similar amount, I can assure you.

If you love beaches, sunshine and sometimes ridiculously hot weather then Aus is perfect, otherwise there's not really that much special about living there.


Hark at this dag.

I spent two years in and around Melbourne and it's the finest city I've ever lived in. I can't even really quantify it, but I loved it. And yes, everything is more expensive than the UK but the wages are insane, and more than make up for it. Outside of that it's an incredibly beautiful country with (generally) great people, a standard of living to (literally, see below) die for and weather that, although it does run hot, is bloody brill. I would dearly love to move back there and this gooseberry fool makes it all the more unlikely.

Although this is hardly the primary reason to say "strawberry float Turnbull," remember this is a government that actively supports interring men, woman and children in an actual concentration camp because they want access to something approaching a decent life,* but still. strawberry float Turnbull.

* https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -detention

EDIT: To add context to this decision, I've a friend who's been in Aus for 10 years. He was on a spousal visa, but I guess they split up and he wasn't yet eligible for permanent residency. He's now going to be forced to move back to China as his last hope was a 457. Nice one.
Last edited by Tafdolphin on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Rocsteady » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am

Yeah Melbourne's pretty cool but you say you can't quantify it - i.e. you had a good time there but actually there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary about the place.

I've had an amazing time living in plenty of places but I'm not going to suggest that people uproot and move there. Plus the lack of nice/old buildings gets me down, and the location of the city itself (the middle of nowhere).

Admittedly the wages/standard of living is on average better than the UK.
Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Tafdolphin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 am

There's a reason it's won Most Livable City in the world for the last 5 years, it's not just me.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Rocsteady » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:There's a reason it's won Most Livable City in the world for the last 5 years, it's not just me.

That's only with the EIU and come on, those indexes are bullshit.

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist ... g-rubbish/

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life ... ks-485380/

It all depends on a very specific set of criteria.

I'm by no means saying Melbourne's a bad place to live - I really enjoyed it - but for me it was far from some holy mecca. Really depends on your lived experience and what you're looking for.

And personally I don't think Aussies are any better personality wise than Brits. Maybe a bit hotter though.
Image
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by 1cmanny1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 am

That is stupid. It is win win immigration to Australia.
The IQ of both countries increase.
Image
User avatar
Shadow
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Shadow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

Tbf those changes to citizenship rules don't seem targeted at Brits. I'm certain wed all meet the language and values requirement of Australia by default.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Photek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 am

I lived in Sydney for 3 months, absolute shambles of a place. Accents are annoying and it was culturally vacuous. I have no idea what 'Australian values' are but they seem dedperate to be validated, like they think the world doesn't rate them highly enough.

Literally my first night out after landing and this Australian friend of a friend challenged me to a drinking contest labelling us alcoholics cos we were Irish and saying bizarrely that he could drink us under the table. After constant cajoling I agreed, except I said we should drink pints not scooners. I'm not that big a drinker but guy was quite small so, to be honest I didn't drink any faster or slower than usual but other guy couldn't catch up. Had a decent night with some English lads and I'm not even joking, after 5 pints FIVE! The Australian dik was falling all over the place.
Blue Eyes wrote:Jack Wheelchair is crippled again. Poor guy just can't catch a break. Except in his leg.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: It's now even harder to get into Australia as citizenship process overhauled
by Tomous » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 pm

1cmanny1 wrote:That is stupid. It is win win immigration to Australia.
The IQ of both countries increase.


Didn't a former NZ prime minister make that joke when asked about New Zealander's moving to Australia? :slol:

Return to “Stuff”